Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Are any Farmgirls entering exhibits in their fairs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Are any Farmgirls entering exhibits in their fairs Next Topic  

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Farmgirls/Farmsisters,
I was just thinking it's getting close to fair time in my neck of the woods and I was wondering if any of you are exhibiting anything in your local fair?
A friend and myself are quilting like mad to get a friendship quilt done to go in our fair (the Palouse Empire Fair)and I have another quilt that I made that I have to steal back from my brother,lol,so I can enter that.
If your fair is already over and you entered something, tell us about it.
Teresa Sue

Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:11:15 AM  Show Profile
I entered two pictures in our fair. Stanwood-Camano Fair--The Biggest Little Fair in the West. It was August 1-3 and I won 2 blue ribbons. The next biggest fair is the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe and Kylee and her horse will be there. And then after that in September is the grandest of them all--combining all the best from the County Fairs and that is Puyallup Fair.When i was a 4-H leader we hit them all. Whew! I am still tired out. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  12:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Blue ribbons, yea!!
I've been to Monroe twice for the quilt show, but never for the fair. I used to be a 4-H leader but we never went to Puyallup, just to far away. Don't you think fairs are such a slice of American farm life. I love em. We need to enter our exhibits so our fairs don't wither and die. We just have to keep in mind that all judging is perspective, perspective, perspective. Been on both sides of that coin, lol.

Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  3:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Howdy,
I entered 5 things in our fair and took 3 first place,1 second and 1 third. I believe like you do that we need to enter things so our small fairs that we have here in particular don't stop doing it cause there is no interest. it was fun. I am going to try and enter more next year, just so we can have a variety of things at the fair.There are lots of catagories so might as well. Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  5:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I just peeked at your dogs, Beverley, they are just too sweet! I love the wiener dog and the combo Maltese wieners are very cute too. It must be pretty wild at your house with all those little furbabies...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  5:18:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm not entering anything into competition, but I will have a booth in the Artists in Action building again this year, to sell my products.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  5:47:45 PM  Show Profile
I entering salsa I canned, an embroidered tea towel with a basket of fruit, and a pair of knitted socks. We can only enter three items in open competition. The kids can enter as many as they want in 4H. Most of my kids will have quite a few items..probably youngest daughter will have the most this year. They are entering peppers from the garden too...our best crop right now. We always enter peppers..they always seem to be ready right when the fair happens. We turn in our entries on Monday and will know what they won on Weds. I just love our little county fair. The fairgrounds are here in town and they are so cute and nostalgic. The kids have helped with doing some sprucing up this year with 4H and oldest daughter with her Youth City council group too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:17:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bev, I have a Dachshund-Blue Heeler mix. A true delight. We call him a wheeler (weiner and heeler). Jake is just Jake. He is long and low and wide. Very protective like a heeler and very nosy like a doxie. I will have to add a pic of him. The vet calls him a 'low-rider'. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  06:52:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm entering a photo, a painting(if I get it done) and a crochet doily. I may also enter a pair of PJs I made.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  08:08:23 AM  Show Profile
I didn't this year, but will next. There was only 2 cross stitch pieces entered, both by the same lady! I'm going to give her a little compitition! I'm waiting for when my kids can enter and exhibit. I didn't growing up till I was in HS and I want that experience for the kids. Course if they do pigs and steers or horse... hubby is helping!
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  3:55:04 PM  Show Profile
I usually try to enter some canning, quilting, sewing, knitting and/or crocheting. I've been a Needlework superintendent and an assistant Clothing superintendent before and judged 4-H clothing. The fair seems much more fun to me since we no longer have 4-H/FFA hogs to show. I wonder why?? But it's only a brief lull until my grandkids start showing. Our fair is in about a month.

Oh Elise...I had that rule too. Dad had to be there for the pig thing. There's just something about giving a pig a bath......it seems so futile.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  5:11:17 PM  Show Profile
HI to all the above. I do have a lot of dogs but i love each one of them. the mal-weenies as they are called are cuteys. I have a litter right now and the little one is only a pound and a half and she is 7 and a half weeks old. Her name is grace . I think we will end up keeping her just to keep an eye on her. don't want someone trying to breed her she is just way to small for that.But thanks to anyone that said they were cute. and good luck to everyone that is entering in their fairs. Our fair lets you enter a whole page of stuff for $1.00. So it is kinda silly not too. and it keeps the fair with a lot of different things. and besides it is fun. Well Good luck to all Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  6:51:18 PM  Show Profile
lol Marcia! I just don't want to add more to my list with livestock too. I showed hogs one year and yeah it's fun, but I have a house to clean and food to make and laundry and all the other fun stuff a mom and ranch wife have to do. I don't want to be out there halter breaking a calf and grooming a steer on top of it all! Dad has time... Ha!

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  07:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Wow, you all are a busy bunch. It's like summer doesn't have enough chores and we go and do the fair thing, ha!! My youngest daughter was in 4-H and I was a general 4-H leader and a sheep project leader for a number of years. Daughter showed sheep till she had enough money to buy her horse, she took the horse to fair two years, showed a hog at the Spokane Jr.livestock show one year and finished her last three years of high school showing steers. It much easier to go to fair now that we don't take stock, whew. But you have to admit it's really fun to see what ribbons you earned. It inspires you to strive for better, not perfect, just better.
Gotta go, it's heaten up quick and I've got work to do.
btw, great job for entering at the fair.
Teresa Sue

Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Are any Farmgirls entering exhibits in their fairs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page