LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  4:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Oh I'm so excited to be in the Farmgirl Connection, even tho I'm an older gal. I love and do the farm ways but I don't wear an apron : (. I'd like to so hopes of being inspired to wear one may just happen.

New to MJ's magazine as well. That got me here and then more inspiration reading the forums and going further reading blogs. Oh one could stay in here and never leave.

A little about me,

Moved to the sticks from the city with my family back the early 70's. Met my city feller walkin in the woods, I was huntin', varments not hubbies. We got hitched and went wood choppin on our honeymoon.

Raised our three kids on our homestead which is close, about a half a mile as the crow flies to my Moms, our old homestead.

I love to garden and growing organic veggies and heirlooms, save seeds. Along with many flowers. I'm so into Winter Sowing.

Canning and drying foods and stocking up for winter is an on going thing.

I have a homebase business, family business for over 56 years, I make slipcovers. Head to the city to meet up with clients and back home in my workshop for sew up. Met some great people in my line of work. Sis and I work together and Mom who is going to be 83 still sews. Puts out a big garden as well.

I am raising 103 Barred Plymouth Rock for eggs and meat. Got them a day old on June 6th, so they got a little growing and crowing to do yet.

Love to go on walks with DH on our trails and cookout at the campsite. Alng with our black as coal lab mix pup, who's name is Coal.

We have 4 grandkiddies that love to come over and head to the garden and eat maters and peas out of the garden and squirt me with the water hose. These little guys are the cream of the crop in our lives.

Knitting is a favorite, socks and dishcloths, oh those dishcloths are so fast and easy, knockem out fast.

Well theres a whole bunch more , does it ever run out of paper here???

But the bottom line is I live a simple life and enjoy all the Blessings. I blog of my homestead adventures, spelling bad, gammar bad too. But its simple and I have fun. Come for a visit any ol time.

Nice to meet all of you. I got to peek in before I joined and had a great visit on the forums and some of your alls blogs : ). Good reads and pictures too.

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile
WELCOME LINDA! You are a great addition to this forum, I look forward to hearing more about you. We'll get you wearing an apron in no time, you are going to love this site.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  4:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Linda, So great to meet you. I knit as well.. dishcloths and socks are my favorite too. and I weave shawls. We are moving to the St Joe area of MO next summer- for now we are in Nevada.. Good to have you hear.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  4:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Hello Linda, You will be a welcome addition here and I am looking forward to learning all about you, gotta get that apron on you though,hehe. Debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  4:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello Linda, Boy what a great intro. Loved reading about your life. I know you will fit right in here and what fun we have! So Welcome! Blessings, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Welome Linda from a fellow Missourian! I loved looking at your blog. I'm a knitter also. If you're interested, we have a dishcloth KAL going on the Gathered Up Forum here. There are currently 2 patterns posted. Feel free to jump in on one or both of them.

So where in Missouri are you? I'm near St. Louis. There's several other Missouri Farmgals here too.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  5:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, Linda, from another Missouri gal! Our ranks are growing - yipee!!! You'll be wearing an apron before you know it. Can't help it - it's in a farmgirl's heart.

It sounds like you have a wonderful and blessed life. You'll have to keep me posted on the chickens. I have a feeling come next spring we'll be getting some day-olds too. Where did you get yours?

If you think it was fun peeking in, you're going to have a blast participating!!!

God bless -
Karen

Farmgirl Sister #??? (to be filled in after I get my badge)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  6:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda Ellen:
I'm sure you'll enjoy your time spent here.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  6:33:40 PM  Show Profile
Yea! Another Missourian! I am stqarting to wonder if maybee the magazine just made it to our state? I do not remember seeing it before, but I am so glad I found it!

What part are you from Linda? Great blog BTW

whiteraven

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  8:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the warm welcome, looks like I better get an apron.
ths Karin / electricdunce for starting the welcome invite, hugs

Knitting: good to see so many knitters.
Debra /joyfulmama , I'm going to check out your blog, hope you got some pictures of your knitting and shawls. I was this close [ ] to getting alpacas last year. We didn't have the shelters ready and we had a cougar sighting so we backed off until another time. Do you spin? I gotta go look at your blog : )

Diana / dkelewae, I sorta been joining you all without really joining yet , lol . I knitted the round dishcloth when it first was posted and read how you all were doing. Thanks for the invite, I'll be over to really join, : ) Everyone is doing a good job.

I'm 50 miles East of KC,off 50 Hwy. We live about 5 minutes east of Powell Gardens. Anyone visited the gardens?

Chickens:
Karen / LivingWell4You, thank you. Oh its good to hear your going to get chickens. I always order mine from Marty's Poultry in Windsor Mo. have for many years. Use to go pick them up at the hatchery but now you have to go to the post office.

whiteraven, we sure havn't had MJ's mag in our neck of the woods, I scan garden and magazines like MJ, stands with a hawk eye and have not seen it until the last two issues. I'd like to get the back issues , will have to check into that.

Again thank you all very much, I feel like I'm at home already, hugs to you all.

Locust Trail Homestead

Edited by - LindaEllen on Aug 13 2008 8:23:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  10:44:07 AM  Show Profile
Linda
I love Powell gardens! We try to make it out there at least once a year. My girls loved the treehouse exbit they had a few years ago.

whiteraven

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

Janet L Trewhitt
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Janet

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Janet L Trewhitt's MSN Messenger address
Hi Missouri girl, I am also new the the MJ site(forum. I live near KC and have a log house in the city. I know it sounds funny but am really close to malls, town and all the things you find in a city. I am older than you, am a widow but have 3 children, 6 grand-children and 3 great grand-children(the last being twin boys born on the 4th of July 2008). I love the country way of life even though I have never lived in the"country". I have been an admirer of Tasha Tudor for many years and have a few of her prints in my cabin. I work for weight watchers as a receptionist and do 7 meetings a week. Look forward to being on this website. Cabin Jan

cabin Jan
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda!
I dont wear an apron either, not that I dont want to, just havent sewn one yet....I have always worn the typical BBQ apron, however MJ's styles are so much cuter!

Lookign forward to hearing more from you.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello and welcome Linda! You're sure to enjoy yourself here!!!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  4:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
Your life sounds wonderful, and so glad you are here sharing it with us.
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  5:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I really enjoyed reading about your life....sounds wonderful! We will enjoy having you here, you will fit right in!

Edited by - SusieQue on Aug 14 2008 6:00:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  06:10:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for more warm welcomes, makes a farmgirl feel really good in her heart. Theres a lot of sharin here on the forums so I'll be doin my part. Lots of learning to.

Janet L Trewhitt, welcome too, its sure cool to be a newbie, all these nice gals comin over and sayin hey : ). I think most of us love those log cabins and will be wanting to hear more from you and pictures to. We built an earthcontact home with the help of passive solar to help with heating and it stays rather nice in the summer if I don't open the windows. I love open windows way better then AC. All tho the days we were in the 100+ and no wind I turned on the AC.

Tasha Tudor is one of my favorite persons and inspiration. Her passing was sad, she will be missed but her spirit lives on through her many books and wonderful art.

Speaking of books, I was up in town yesterday and went to the bookstore to find Mary Jane's Outpost. They had one, it was marked $30, I think I can get one for that price with MJ signature, i'm going to check. But boy is it wonderful,I'm ready to campout thumbing through the pages. If I didn't have to go meet my clients I would have parked there, get a cup of coffee and read the pages off, I just gotta have a copy for my own : ) Hummmmm might have to just get myself a B-day present coming up next month, hehehe

Well I'm heading off to read forums and blogs before heading to town again. But first gotta let out the chickens and check the gardens for some goodies.

Have a good day all and thank you for all the kind and lovely words.

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  6:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda,
Iv'e e-mailed you to learn more about knitting.
KatyDO in Utah.

Follow Your Bliss
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  7:49:25 PM  Show Profile
KatyDo, I hope you come back and read this. I'm sorry I had my e-m addy on. My computer is half broken. I can recieve e-m but I can't send E-m. I'm so sorry I can't send you a reply to your e-m. Oh I hope you read this.

On learning how to knit, how about setting up a beginners group in here and taking your time to learn and knit with others. I'm sure theres others that would love to join and learn. And those of us that know a lot or little (that be me on the little)could help out at times.

I know its hard to keep up with all those great knitters, I know cuz I try, lol. I wind up ripping and do overs. I'm pretty knew at dishclothes but i think they are something that anyone wanting to learn to knit should do first. They are fast and you can see progress and finished work in no time.

Thank you for the e-m you sent and kind words. I so wish I could have sent e-m to you. This really is wanting me to send my PC in to get it fixed, and soon. It's just being without it for a time is what I don't like. But then I'll get to send e-m

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  1:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi LindaEllen,
So good to meet you :) That's so funny you mentioned Tasha Tudor because I was just thinking last night if any of the farmgirls were fans of hers. Wasn't she amazing. Did you read about when she grew flax and went through all the process of turning it into linen. It was so amazing. Hope to hear more from you.
Teresa Sue

Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  8:08:04 PM  Show Profile
LindaEllen,
Thanks for the reply. Had a summer cold and just gettin back to the farm, Is there anyone out there, like me, that has never really knitted, (except for the slippers in the 8th grade that I never finished), but wants to learn on something simple? I have MJ's new stitching book I guess we could start there. I need something to get me out of this slump, it has been so hot and dry here, (has rained in Salt Lake City a few times this summer but missed Ogden & Uintah everytime, all my flowers and vege garden look forelorne, I want that beautiful cool fall weather to get here. We bought a travel trailer last week and taking it out next weekend, perhaps the coolness of the canyon will revive me.The blackberries are almost ready-for jam, and the tomatoes also-for salsa, don't have many peaches this year, will have just enough for pies and eatin warm off the tree. Ah, Fall--love that time of year.

Follow Your Bliss
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  3:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Contrary Wife, thank you for the welcome. I did not read about Tasha Tudor making and her own linen, would not surprise me tho. She was quite a lady.

KatyDo, blackberries , yum. I too can't wait tell fall.
On the kniting heres a couple of links that might help. Knit something small like a dishcloth, you'll have a finished project done in no time and thats always fun.. Even a scarf that all you have to do is knit, or maybe knit and purl. You will gain speed, handling of the needles and know how by the practice plus a finish scarf at the end. Those needles are clumsy at first and where to put the yarn around your fingers. Everyone is different and you should do as it feels good to you. Speed is not a big thing either, but enjoying is. So have fun learning, I still am, and the works of other knitters just makes me want to learn more.

try these links out.

http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  4:49:48 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
Thanks for the websites they are great, just what I neededto get started, I especially liked the 2nd one w/the pics. You are a gem.
KatyDO

Follow Your Bliss
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Newbie from Missouri Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page