Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Are we the only ones that is just now picking our sweet corn? I am usually done by July 20th. This weather has been so cool and damp...not many tomatoes this year, the peppers are falling off before they get half the size of usual.
How do you freeze your corn? I love to try different ways.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  6:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Nope- Ours are just starting to get their tassles, hopefully it will be done before the fall sets in! I think everyone is having a rough year with the tomatos, we might be eating green spaghetti sauce if something doesn't happen soon.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  6:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention- I just freeze my corn the usual way- nothing exciting.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  7:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Ms.Lilly, I don't even have green tomatoes. How about spaghetti with butter and no tomato sauce? My greenbeans got maybe 6 inches tall and we have had 2 batches cooked up with ham and a few potatoes....I try to can at least 40 quarts greenbeans every year but not happening this year! We have had so much rain that came down so fast and hard that the ground was literally packed. It would just get dry enough to till and we would get hit by another 2 or 3 inches...one day we got 6 1/2 inches in a few hours. Just thankful that we live on top of the hills here in the greenhills area.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:54:24 AM  Show Profile
I had to buy sweet corn this year because my patch just didn't make enough for me before the local raccoons found it. It has been a very odd year in my garden too. Lots of peppers, but my tomatoes just won't ripen. I also usually like to can alot of green beans, but that just wasn't in the cards this year, either. The veggies that usually do really well haven't produced much, and the ones that I usually don't have high expectations for have done really well.

As far as freezing the corn, I cut it off the cob, then cook it for about 15 minutes with a little water, then set it in bowls in a sink filled with ice to cool quickly, then bag and freeze. The weekend that I bought my corn, I asked everyone I knew how they froze corn, and it seemed like everyone did it a little differently.
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater Texas
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  09:19:06 AM  Show Profile
I've never frozen corn myself, but I think I remember how my mom did it... she cooked it first on the cob, then cooled it in ice, then cut it off the cob, & then froze it in plastic bags... it always tasted good, but I'm sure that's not the only way to do it...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Freezing Sweet Corn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page