Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  1:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever grown a ginger plant? Not the culinary kind. My sister in law sent me some rhizomes of a ginger plant. It has leaves like cannas do and blooms a lovely white flower with a heavenly scent. I am not quite sure what sort of conditions it prefers. Sun, shade, moist soil or not. Any tips? Also, there is another kind called "hidden ginger" that is similar, but is not what I have.

"Love one another."

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  1:56:44 PM  Show Profile
The wild kind likes shade. We had it in Vermont when I worked there. It was along a creek, so I assume it likes some water as well. There may be varieties that have different conditions. Do you know what kind of ginger you got?

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2310 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2310 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  9:13:22 PM  Show Profile
I sounds like you have Hawaiian white ginger; the heavenly scent is a dead giveaway. My sister gave me some of hers years ago. Hers blooms almost every fall; mine never has but has taken over the old compost pile. She lives in a more temperate climate than me so I'm not surprised that mine never blooms; it's a nice plant anyway. It likes mostly shade and a fair amount of water.
BTW -- you can grow the ginger from the supermarket, also the taro. I found fresh water chestnuts at the health food store one day and put some in a pot in our pond and they grew like crazy.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  8:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, the blossoms on her plant looked alot like this:

http://home.rose.net/~jimeds/HEDYCORO.JPG

This is the description:

"Hedychium coronarium (Butterfly Ginger) White fragrant flowers are borne on top of 4-5 foot tall plants in late summer and early fall. The flowers have pure white petals with a hint of green in the throat and are fragrant. Will tolerate full sun with adequate moisture. From tropical Asia"

The fragrance of the flower smells like very expensive perfume. I could have have sniffed that flower all day. Thank you ladies for helping out. I appreicate you both!!

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2310 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2310 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile
White ginger smells so good! It's one of my favorite fragrances but hard to find. Years ago Avon made a white ginger cologne and I was so disappointed when they discontinued it.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ginger Plant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page