Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Deer deterrent Next Topic  

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  4:47:58 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just heard from a friend that she's using those "singing" big mouth bass wall plaques as deer deterrents in her garden. If a deer walks past, the fish sings frightening off the deer! She also has a fake rattle snake that she uses to keepthe neighbors dog out of the garden. That one would scare me out of the garden!!! Anyway, thought I'd pass this along!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  10:32:25 PM  Show Profile
ok, that is tooo funny,,,,now where did I stash that old Billy Bass singing fish that I gave my hubby several years for Christmas??? oh yeah, it's at the Goodwill store along with a million others...lol!
I can just see it now, farm girls heading to their favorite thrift shop in search of those signing fish! lol!
Thanx for the giggle Sharon
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  07:14:42 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to pass this tip on at the Morton Arboretum where I do volunteer gardening. I'm sure they will love it! The deer have really done a number on all of the gardens. They are quite beautiful to see though. We had a doe and her triplet fawns in the fragrance garden last week!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  6:33:14 PM  Show Profile
That is so funny! But actually a great idea.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  6:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Where do you find that kind of singing big mouth bass. All the ones I've seen you have to press a button to make them sing. My deer aren't that talented: ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile
My sister lives in the Texas Hill Country, and the deer eat all the flowers she plants. They put wire around the big plants. I'd surely try the singing bass.
Good luck.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  05:24:09 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if the billy bass would work on keeping coons out of the corn? Have one upstairs, and hate the thing. Will have to give it a try.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  08:49:28 AM  Show Profile
Sharon,
you have started a whole new revival/calling for Billy Big Mouth Bass,,,humm, just might have to pull out my Singing/Dancing Christmas Tree come winter to chase the deer away from my newly planted trees...& it would look so cute out in the snow!!!LOL!
>^..^<

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, you can plant lavender around your garden, its a natural dear repellant, although the singing bass is much funnier. I have also seen where someone had a sprinkler system triggered on a motion detector as well, ask me how I found out......

Kim
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:49:48 PM  Show Profile
I have 100 lavender plants planted by the entrance way of my property,,,,which doesn't deterr the deer as the trees are at the other side of the property! duh! maybe I will put up little signs, the ones w/a pic of a deer & a circle around it w/a red line running through!, Nah!!! I like the signing fish, it's worth a couple of batteries to get a giggle or two outta seeing the deer bolt when "Billy" starts singing.

Kim, I LOVE lavender, not only is it a critter/insect deterrent but it is the perfect multipurpose plant from culinary to teas to spritzes to sachets!
>^..^<

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

I make lavender lemonade and have made lavender cookies as well. The cookies though is a love em or hate em kind of thing. I have not had anyone tell me they did not like the lemonade.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  7:58:21 PM  Show Profile
I had one of those singing rocks with a motion detector from the Walmart garden center a few years ago, it played rock n roll, and the mouth of the big rock would move with the words...at the end of the song the rock's head would twirl all the way around. I got it to put in the garden to keep the coons out of the sweet corn. Coons didn't eat as much of the sweet corn but my rock's batteries were always running down and I would find it moved a few feet from where I put it...little grand daughter told me that she thought those old coons were having a dance party with my rock out in the garden! Aren't we creative? Bass, rock, we might as well just shuck the corn and leave it on platter for those critters!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Deer deterrent Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page