Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 doll clothes making for kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic doll clothes making for kids Next Topic  

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of any good websites or books that will help a young girl make her own doll clothes? I've got a 9 year old who has the sewing bug, and really wants to start designing doll clothes. She still has basic skills for following patterns to learn and improve on, but she can find her way around the sewing machine pretty well.

Thanks for any help!

Farmgirl Sister #138
http://www.LilBitCrunchy.blogspot.com

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows and poop out butterflies." -Horton Hears a Who

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:44:30 PM  Show Profile
What about looking for patterns for preemie babies? How small are the dolls she is wanting to make clothes for?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  3:01:00 PM  Show Profile
She's using the Frannie Doll pattern from MJ's magazine, so its kind of funny proportions, skinny arms and legs, super long torso. She may just have to piece them together herself, but I think having patterns to work from at first will help her to learn the basics "correctly", then she can take liberties with it from there.

Farmgirl Sister #138

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows and poop out butterflies." -Horton Hears a Who
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  3:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Awe, I have no idea then. I'm not a seamstress, so I really didn't have a clue to begin with, but thought I maybe could think of something. lol
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  8:05:41 PM  Show Profile
there are tons of free doll clothes patterns by searching google. My advice to you would really be to draw out patterns yourself. My 8 yr old can sew just about as well as most women on here and she started a few years ago with a piece of newspaper, a marker, and a pair of scissors. the first few outfits were rough, but it did not take long and now she is designing all manner of things on her own and doing quite well at it. If she can use the sewing machine, then designing the clothes should be a piece of cake. Don't start with teh expensive fabrics, but some cheap muslin or some kind of broadcloth will do her wonders.

http://hectichousehold.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  12:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Hi! I used to make doll clothes with my grandmother and think it's an amazing learning tool, not just for sewing but to teach patience, problem-solving, and so many other great life tools.
I would love to send you a couple doll patterns I have. I don't know if they would fit the doll you have in mind, but as you said, just working through a couple patterns would teach her a lot about how the process works. These are relatively simple, good for learning, and the instructions are all there. I would be more than happy to pop them in an envelope and send them to you if you are interested!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have extra American Girl patterns too. You could use them the same way to work with like make the legs longer, etc.
Send me your address and I'll send it.
Linda

Jesus was a feminist!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:41:46 AM  Show Profile
Aw, you guys are the best! I'm sending my address now...

Thanks! She'll be really excited to watch for them in the mail!

Farmgirl Sister #138

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic doll clothes making for kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page