Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 looking for very warm sweater pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic looking for very warm sweater pattern Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
my hubby wans me to knit him a sweater and i am not having any luck finding a pattern. he wants it very warm especially across the back of the shoulders he needs this to wear when snow machining. can anyone help me find one? peae connie in alaska

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile
hi Connie,
I can't think of one right off hand but I have many patterns and books of patterns. What size of yarn will you want to use...4 ply, bulky?? Wool????

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i have no clue! something very warm and not too scratchy! what would you suggest? wool is usually a good option becasue if it does get wet its still warm. i found an old world war era red cross pattern but not sure how warm it would be. of course there is no pic of it either. www.redcross.org/museum/pdfs/icelandsweater.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Connie: I have a ton of pattern books and patterns. I think the heaviness is going to be determined by your yarn weight and the gauge and needle size. All of Elizabeth's Zimmerman's pattern books are excellent if you can find one at a secondhand store, that would be my pick for a pattern that you can make up yourself based on her guidelines and make adaptations for a turtleneck, dropped sleeve versus raglan sleeve, set-in sleeves, etc. One is called "knitting without tears". Another great book is Ann Budd's "the knitter's handy book of patterns." It has basic designs of everything you want to knit (hats, gloves, vests, sweaters) in multiple sizes and has gauge charts so you know what needle size to use, etc.

Knit up a swatch of your yarn (go with a worsted weight to bulky, depending on your preference)with the needle size you think you'll need (probably a 9-10 to start with) and see how it looks, how tight the stitches are and dense the fabric is and if it works fairly easy with those needles (go to larger needles if too tight) then you can count up how many stitches are in an inch and figure up how much yarn you'll need based on your husband's measurements.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:13:48 AM  Show Profile
I'd contact Grace Gerber. Our resident fiber expert (IMO anyway~lol)
What type of yarn/fiber are you planning to use?

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i will call the local used book store and see what i can find. it sounds as tho i need to invest in some books! thank you much! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  09:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Connie-there are tons of free sweater patterns on the internet if you don't want to invest in purchasing books and/or patterns. I have a bunch of knitting websites bookmarked. When I get home I'll send you some links.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic looking for very warm sweater pattern Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page