cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  9:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Anybody know of a good sturdy drying rack, or where they can be found?? I bought one at Ben Franklin, there must be one out there that isn't like four toothpicks and flimsy!!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  05:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Yes, go to Bed, Bath and Beyond.

They have one that is around 30-40 dollars. (but you know they send out coupons every week, so get on their mailing list and before long you will have coupons!).

It is a wire one, that is coated in a white paint/rubber.

It is square, with three tiers. It also has caster wheels.

It's VERY sturdy, my husband, daughter, nieces or nephews has not succeeded in destroying it yet! We even take it on vacations!

It will hold a ton too, it holds at least 50 diapers at a time! (I cloth diaper).

I wish I had a picture of mine. Grrr. I should of taken a picture of it on vacation, when I had the camera! grrrr.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 15 2008 05:22:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  05:58:52 AM  Show Profile
Lehmann's has a variety of wood racks on their website www.lehmans.com , I think in either on of Maryjanes books, or perhaps one of the early magazine/catalogs she recommended one made that is still handmade and very sturdy...does anyone remember?

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:03:17 AM  Show Profile
I have used a spare room in our house to hang clothes in the winter, they dried just fine (we were without a dryer for two years). My gram used to hang her clothes out in winter, said they "freeze dried".
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile
I love the ones at lehmans but I don't know how sturdy they are. Also they were quite expensive was the only reason I didn't get them from lehmans. :( And the ones I bought hold a lot more with less space. (I live in a small NYC apartment) However, I like the one from lehmans that hangs on the wall. But, I don't think it would hold 50 diapers.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  8:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals for the suggestions!! I will check them both out. We lived in Central Or. for 10 years, very dry, and I'd hang clothes out in the winter, just sheets and towels, and they "freeze dried" also!! I know it's a little late in the season, but like my hubby says "when you get something stuck in your craw, you don't give up on it"!!!!! I'm going to "Bed, Bath and Beyond" now!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  8:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I love hanging clothes on the line. To me, sleeping on sheets hung outside is this side of divine. Hanging clothes on a line is an art too, if you hang them higgly piggly that's what they look like, but if you take care they can be just right to wear. I'll use my rack and put it in front of the woodstove this winter, we get too much freezing rain. Something else I wanted to say, if you have a septic tank, you might be careful with the vinegar, cause it's caustic and can kill the good "bugs" in your tank that takes care of breaking all the solids down. I love vinegar for many things, but it's something to think about.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  02:28:19 AM  Show Profile
I've yet to read all the post to this but had to add something....maybe not helpful....but funny. At the previous house I lives at, I had a clothes line and "tried" to use it as often as possible. [The man I had lived with got upset the first time I used it because he could see his skivvies hanging on the line, and he thought the neighbors would too, so I put them on the middle line inbetween the other stuff, problem solved! LOL] I had two yappy/howling type dogs at the time, a terrier and a beagle. I soon discovered that they could climb the little step stool and yank clothes right off the line, so I moved the stool and solved that problem. I noticed that my line dryed clothes had a little odor as well. Not really sure what it was, but I had to stop hanging the bed spreads out for the entire time because it would make the whole bedroom smell icky when I put it back on the bed. THEN......I made a discovery one day, about five foot from the clothes line was a nice plush area of grass...THAT THE DOGS LIKES TO GO #2 ON! One day I got clothes off the line and each and every piece smelt like doggy doo. I was so mad because laundry is a hard thing for me to accomplish sometimes and I had to start all over again....ugh... Well, I couldn't move the cloth line, and I really couldn't ensure that they would do their business elsewheres....so I kinda stopped hanging out the clothes. Bummer. Now I live in another house with my DH, in an HOA community, and HOA would have a #2 of their very own if they ever spotted a clothes line in the back yard! Bummer. I do miss being able to use on b/c the energy savings are HUGE!! But I do hang clothes in the laundry room on a new rack that DH built for me recently. He's so sweet.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  1:24:52 PM  Show Profile
yes, i've found if you dry them on a windy day, they become softer and less wrinkled. though sometimes it's hard to wait for a windy day when you are in need of certain clothes...

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  07:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Target has drying racks too.

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  9:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
To make you clothes softer and less wrinkly, put your clothes in the dryer for 5-10 minutes after you have had them on the line. This will soften them up and it will kill any bugs that may have crawled in your clothes while on the line.

You can use white vinegar in place of fabric softener. White Vinegar will soften the clothes.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  03:21:40 AM  Show Profile
since we live on a dirt road, I gave up line drying years ago

i like that clean crisp line dried smell

I remember my mom always line drying so the smell reminds me of summers as a kid

I have heard that fabric softener buildup is what actually causes dryer fires

the smells are too fake so I just add baking soda for a cleaner smell

AND I dicsovered Trader Joe's brand of laundry detergent no unnatural anything, cruelty free, and it smells like REAL lavender not the fake synthetic too smelly kinds
Go to Top of Page

I Love My Kitchen
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Betsy
Santa Clarita Ca
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2011 :  1:03:51 PM  Show Profile
I hang my towels til dry then soften them in the dryer for about 5 minutes. Best of both worlds.

"There's no place like home."
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  07:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Ikea has dry racks! make sure you check your stores for mark down stuff. A few years ago i got 4 dry racks from target, they wer metal with the sweater mesh on it. They were original $30 i got them for $5 each!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  2:27:20 PM  Show Profile
I've also heard you can spray the clothes with a wrinkle releaser or 1 tsp of fabric softener to 1 cup water in a spray bottle. I just save my dryer for my husbands clothes and do all mine and my daughters diapers outside.

Also, fabric softener makes clothes soft because of the oil. This is why you CANNOT use softener with diapers. It'll repel all liquids because of the oils deposited by the softener.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  06:07:30 AM  Show Profile
My mom always hangs her clothes on the line. Even in the middle of winter, she'll have a big wooden clothes horse full of clothes that she puts outside, b/c there isn't always a trail to the clothes line. My dad has a fit if the humidity in the trailer is above X (whatever number corresponds to the temperature outside - there is a little chart by the humidistat thing), but Mom sticks clothes outside all of the time to freeze dry in the winter. I think the smell is always intensified by being freeze dried. I have noticed though, that the air where my parents live & the air where I live smells differently. Weird. Who knew? I said that when my dad was around & he just looked at me like I was crazy lol. We didn't like line dried towels - they were really "crunchy", but everything else was fine for line drying. Now, I hang up what I can on my "spare closet" & sometimes in the bathroom too, then the rest just go in the dryer :s.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  5:37:39 PM  Show Profile
I like my laundry smelling like nothing! I guess that's what my clothesline fresh smells like-no degtergent residue, no fabric softener oils...pure cloth! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  8:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I finally got my clothes line and so enjoy hanging them out. Yesterday DH came outside and saw me standing on the porch looking at the cloths...he wanted to know what I was doing....told him it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside to see the cloths flapping in the wind...don't know why just know I love it..
I make my own laundry detergent and like it alot better then any store bought stuff...love the smell of my sheets off the line.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is "clothesline fresh"? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page