True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Amy,

I'm so encouraged to see a new generation of homeschooler's! My husband and I homeschooled our 2 boys (aged 21 and 23) from the very beginning. They never went to public/private school. Our oldest just graduated in May from Washington Bible College in Lanham, Md. and our youngest has 7 months to go at TEEST Technical for CADD-that's computer added drafting and design. We used a wide variety of material. I currently teach remedial(developmental) reading at our local community college. I've used some of the same material for these classes that I used to teach the boys in highschool. I would highly recommend Easy Grammar and Easy Writing by Wanda Philips. We also used stuff from Critical Thinking Press-most college students are really lacking in inductive/decutive reasoning-something I have to teach! We primarily used the Konos program for our main cirriculum. I'll keep you and all the other homeschool family's in my prayers-"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Blessings,
Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  07:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Wow Bonnie! Congrats on being a successful homeschool momma. :) I second the Easy Grammar by Wanda Philips although I haven't tried her Easy Writing. We currently use Write Shop. I agree with the Critical Thinking material, they have some really wonderful stuff and I would love to have it all!!

Have a blessed day everyone. :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

karla kay
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Karla
Lewistown MT
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  2:07:05 PM  Show Profile
It is so exciting to see all of you homeschoolers here. You have given me encouragement to start another year. This will be our 8th year. We use Saxon Math, and Abeka science and history. They seem to work well for us. We also do a lot of life learning. Such as baking cookies, work on reading, fractions, following directions, and home ec all in one. Then we all have a treat! I try to incorporate learning in just about everything. Have a great wonderful year teaching and learning. I think I learn just as much as my kids. Keep up the good work.

Karla
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile
How many of us are schooling high school age kids? This is my 2nd time doing it (middle daughter chose to go to the local High School) and it is as if I am doing it for the first time! Argh!!! Sorry, channeled a pirate there for a moment!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9381 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9381 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  5:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just saw this topic and I'm Mom to Jessie (CRshelpmeet) and two others. They have all since graduated, the last 2 years ago and I am happy to say they are leading very productive and I hope fulfilling lives. One thing that we tried to instill was that schooling at home is a way of life. We all learn everyday of our lives and if you can teach them how to read and research then half the battle is won. We all homeschool for different reasons. I still have some odds and ends curriculum and if anyone is looking for anything in particular please don't hesitate to ask.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  8:30:38 PM  Show Profile
I am homeschooling a 7th grader and a 5th grader. High school is not that far away!

Levisgrammy: You are so right about homeschooling being a way of life. As long as one can read and research, there is no limit to what you can learn.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Brenda I love your Home Ec class.....

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9381 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9381 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  4:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I always get a bit melancholy around this time of year. Missing those days of schooling. One thing that was difficult for me when we were done was that I missed the structure of the day. Now I can get up and do what I want, well on the days I don't work, and that is kind of hard. I have to have some type of schedule. Everyone likes schedules right?

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

spiral sage
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

crystal
rock hill sc
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  9:26:34 PM  Show Profile
I've had our three sons home with us for eight years now. We unschool which I know is strange to some. But for us, it just seemed the right thing to do. Also looking back a hundred years, that's what boys did, they followed dad around and learnt life skills working beside him. That's what my boys have done. Tonight I went outside to help them pull a motor out of my oldest sons car, dad was at work but this goes to show, they did learn beside him until they were able to venture out on their own.

insanity is doing what you've always done and expecting something different to happen.
http://twistedthyme.blogspot.com/
http://www.xanga.com/twistedthyme
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  04:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey Crystal - we are unschoolers as well. I am exploring early college for my 14 year old daughter. My husband works for Emory University here in Atlanta and our kids get tuition free if they attend. So... two out of our three kids made the choice to go to other schools and rack up big student loans!! Oh, well. This last one is feeling the pressure to go to Emory! But early college seems more her style! Geek GIrl is spoken proudly here! I will scream if I have to hear Japanese anime blasting from our playroom! What ever happened to dolls??

Dana

Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  07:02:03 AM  Show Profile
There is nothing strange at all about unschooling. That is the beauty of being homeschooled. You learn at your own pace in which ever fashion fits you and your family. Alot of things you just cannot learn from a book. It takes a hands-on approach. You ladies keep up the great work!!

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  4:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Amy,

We also homeschool. This is our third year and I have a daughter in high school and a son in 6th grade. There are already great tips here. I love the Old Schoolhouse magazine and think that it is a wonderful source for encouragement and guidance. They review homeschool curriculum all the time. Even the ads in this magazine are good. I think all homeschoolers should have this magazine. Just my two cents.
I hope you have a great year. I use to teach Kindergarten and loved it.
Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9381 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9381 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  4:38:52 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to let you know that since we are finished with our schooling years, everyone has graduated, I have some books and things. If you are looking for a particular book please let me know. I would be glad to pass things along to those who can use them.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  06:52:09 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering what the Hens at Home Henhouse is?
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  12:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ruth! I thought it would be fun to have our own MJF henhouse for homeschoolers and perhaps stay at home moms. I am not sure how to get an official henhouse on the Sisterhood site, but Hens At Home is official with Sunny at MJF. What do ya'll think about a blog site?

Dana

Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  1:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Dana: Will we need to be Sisterhood Members to partake? I am guessing yes, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  1:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - We do not need to be Sisterhood members to have a regular hen house and a topic line here and a blog of our own.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  8:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi friends! We're a homeschooling family for 11 years now. Its been such a joy. EAch boy has required a different method. Our oldest was traditionally homeschooled, our 2nd son eclectic and our 3rd is being schooled using Charlotte Mason methods. It is so nice to be able to meet the individual needs of each child. So nice to meet you all.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  8:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Dana. That sounds great!

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  8:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey Lea!!! Nice to meet you too. :) I bet TN is AWESOME this time of year.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlinthesand
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

maggie
Williston Fl
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  5:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Another homeschooler here :) My boys are currently in 2nd and 4th and we use A Beka. I started them both in preschool and it went so well we have just kept going. I couldnt imagine it any other way!
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  6:34:36 PM  Show Profile
So great to read all of these posts!! My little ones are not in school yet...3,2,4mos. but I was homeschooled all but two years and I fully intend on homeschooling mine when the time comes. I am planning on using the Noah Plan or the Principle approach. Anyone else use this?
Go to Top of Page

FannyMay
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Tara
Rosston Arkansas
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  7:34:08 PM  Show Profile
I am new to MJF. This is my first year to homeschool. I have an 8th grader, 5th grader and a 3 year old. I wanted to homeschool all along, but my husband did not want to. He wanted them to play basketball and do all the other things he did, but things just kept getting worse and worse and we just had to get them out. It has been such an adjustment for us all. MY 5ht grader is probably on a 2nd or 3rd grade reading level and has a hard time even counting money or telling time. He was just left behind. My daughter who doesn't want to be homeschooled, but does not want to go back to school either is having to make some adjustments and it has not been very pretty! I can tell you all one thing if we can just make it through this first year I will never put another child in public school. My husband says every day he wishes he would have listned to me 9 years ago and maybe we would not be going through all of this. Sometimes I feel very alone and very crazyy! We have had to leave our church that we have been members at since before I was born because of all of this also. I guess I am feeling a little overwhelmed and need to vent a little.

There is no other life for me, but farm life.
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  06:04:07 AM  Show Profile
We love homeschooling! My degree is in Elementary and Early childhood Education, but I always knew I would hs my kids. They are 11,9,6, and 2. For the most part they like it too, but I am finding that it is REALLY difficult to give my older girls they social outlet that they need. We have friends who hs and are the same age, but my kids want GROUPS of girls to play with. We just started Girls Scouts which they loved on Wednesday at the first meeting so hopefully it will fill the void.

I used to extoll the benefits of hs over any benefit of public school, but now that I have been doing this for awhile, I am less likely to say that hs is ALWAYS better than brick and mortar school. There are benefits and drawbacks to both and my kids and I talk openly about that. I don't want them to go into the world thinking that they are "weird" homeschoolers or that they don't belong with the rest of their peers. So far it has worked great.

We are in Pa. so the law here is pretty tight, but since I have the degree I am actually "private home tutoring" and don't need to do anything other than provide the school with a letter at the beginning of the year and the end indicating my plans to school them. I make my own curriculum, but use the Core Knowledge Sequence (What your Fifth Grader Needs to Know) as a guide.

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  08:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Tara,
Hang in there. This is our 3rd year homeschooling. I have a son in 6th and a daughter in 9th. My son was also left behind and he had the same difficulties as your son. My daughter also had a hard time adjusting. We just keep working through it. It isn't easy but God will help you. We also had to leave our church shortly after we started homeschooling. They had a private school that my children attended and I taught at and we felt left out of everything once we weren't involved in the school anymore.
God will bless you for your faithfulness through this time.

Misty~We have used both the Noah Plan and Principle Approach. We enjoy it. I implement the same standards with the curriculumn we are using now.

Ruth

http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Family Matters: Previous Topic any other homeschoolers? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page