lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  3:39:02 PM  Show Profile
Well, dh found a way to save gas on our truck - he stripped it down! We have a Blazer and he took the top off, took off the tailgate and removed the back seat since dd is leaving for college soon.

He says the top weighs about 400lbs and the tailgate weighs about 150lbs and the seat another 60lbs. We tested it out and we did actually go farther on the same amount of gas! Well, you learn something new every day! I don't know if this would work for everybody. We have to keep the truck; just needed to find a way to make it a bit more affordable to run it.

Now he's talking about removing the doors and putting something like the cheap plastic doors on it like Jeeps have. I don't know if I like that part.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile
We have a jeep and took out our back seat when we took the dogs for a ride. We were lazy and didn't put it back for a while and did notice a really slight difference.

Also some jeeps may have plastic doors but ours doesn't. Each door weighs about 70 pounds! My husband always likes to take the doors off and they are heavy!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  4:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Lisa:
Gee----- I kind of don't blame your husband. LOL I guess we have to do what we have to do to get by.
And- have you noticed the grocery bill going up? I have!! Things are getting scarey. Have a great day. Be careful driving. LOL
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  5:57:04 PM  Show Profile
I have cut way back trips to town. Today I went to town (10 miles) and had to make 10 stops. That was in and out of the car 10 times. However, when I bought gas, (I had not bought gas for 18 days) I bought a little over 1/2 tank and was getting 25.7 mpg. I drive a Honda CRV. We sold the 6 mpg pickup. We had not used the pu for months. Was going to buy a new one and decided we didn't use it enough. Now we hope that one of the 3 grown kids and 10 grandkids will help us out if we need a truck. Of the 13 kids and grandkids, there are 9 pickups in the family. Seems that we (not the kids) are trying to save money on gas.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Saving gas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page