Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 did you ever live in a 'big city'?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic did you ever live in a 'big city'? Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  6:30:47 PM  Show Profile
i was born and raised in washington, d.c. .. worked there most of my life .. as an 'adult' HA! funny to see THAT word used in the same sentence about moi! anyhoo .. lived in D.C. and surrounding Virginia and Maryland (while working for 'uncle sam') .. moved to florida for about a year and the beauatiful foothills of colorado for about 7 or 8 years .. back to annapolis, maryland (also quite lovely) .. THEN .. to a FARM in god's back yard: Kentucky!

how about you?

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  8:29:36 PM  Show Profile
I lived in Boise until I was 3, then Mom moved us back to where her folks lived, North of Boise, I have lived within 5 miles ever since.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  8:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Nope. Biggest place I ever lived was where I grew up...a coastal tourist town of about 16,000. I consider that big now. I live in a town of about 3,000....which I much prefer!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  9:51:09 PM  Show Profile
Yep. Mostly raised in a small town (pop. 120 or so) in western MN. Since then have lived in Duluth, Mpls, and many surrounding suburbs. Then to the "Bay Area" in CA. Now in a city that has grown from about 40,000 to 65,000 or 75,000 (I forget) in the six years we've been here. Hmmmmm, no wonder I got so homesick for northern MN countryside after our annual trip back!

Enjoy the good things in life - especially when there is time for tea!
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  03:29:31 AM  Show Profile
I grew up on a dirt road with 2 houses on it (is it just me or does that sound like the beginning of a country song?) near a town with about 4000 people in it. But I moved to Charleston, South Carolina for about 6 years right after I got married. LOVED Charleston but moved back to Indiana 4 years ago and am now happily settled in "the boonies". Nothing beats the quiet of the country.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile
I was born in Parkersburg, WV then moved to California. I lived most of my life there in a smaller town of about 6-8,000. We lived about 15 minutes from town in the mountains. Then I moved to San Luis Obispo, CA for college and met DH. His family was from Bakersfield, CA so we both moved there and both our children were born there. At the time it was about 250,000 people which was beyond horrible. I never liked it and never got used to it. I hated driving anywhere and especially by myself. I was used to driving on dirt roads and our town only had one stop light so it was culture shock. Thankfully when our youngest daughter was 6 weeks old we moved to Texas. We still live in a much bigger city than I would like, we have about 120,000 here in Wichita Falls but we live on the outskirts of town so I don't have to 'deal' with the people very often. Even then it's not all that bad because the people here are so nice but I really miss the small town where you walk into the store and everyone there you know and can talk to. This summer we went back to Bakersfield for vacation and my BIL who's a highway patrol officer said the population has grown to over 500,000 in the 4 years since we've left. They couldn't pay me to move back to that crap!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  08:48:47 AM  Show Profile
I did most of my growing up in the glass city of Toledo, OH (313,00) and then moved to Provo, Utah for college (small town). Lived in Austin TX (656,000) for two years while my husband did his graduate work. We've settled in Boise, Idaho which has around 150,000 when you combine it with neighboring Meridian. We like it here, most of the advantages of large city, but is retaining more of a small town feel as far as growing up children goes. I have a 5-10 minute commute to work which is awsome.

Tania
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile
never lived in a city, I dont really like them other then to visit. I love going into N.Y.City for shows but also love leaving. I do however love small towns with a booming main street! Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  09:34:09 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in NE Philadelphia, when I was about 14 we moved out to the suburbs which certainly not considered rural by any means, it's just everyone who works in the city but can a afford to live in nicer neiborhoods. Than I got married and moved to LA and lived there for four years and finally moved way up North five hours from any major city but still don't feel vey rural. But we are, once you step out the little tri "city" area it's all just Redwoods. I worked the NYC for a period of time and it is a thrill when you first get there it's fun to be in a big city and than you there on your sixth week of working and you really start to not like it. I just couldn't believe that there are kids who grow up and thats all they know. I was sort of that kid but my Mom always took us in rides out in the "country side" which is where we eventually moved to - the suburbs. I hope I don't have to moved back a big city, but you never know where life takes you, I never thought I'd live in LA.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  11:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Grew up in Tacoma, Wa which is just 35 miles south of Seattle.....Tacoma used to be a small family town, now it has grown a lot but still has some of that small town feeling. We lived in Hahn, West Germany for 3 years, had I been older I would have really loved it but I was SO young and homesick and had 2 small children, no phone no tv, no money and no husband most of the time, then we spent 6 years in Cheyenne WY ..loved the town and people, HATED the weather before we left the military and moved home. Spent another 6 years in tacoma before the "country living bug" hit us, and now we live in an area with no real town and that's the way we like it...EXCEPT when it is time to grocery shop!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic did you ever live in a 'big city'? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page