nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  06:58:34 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a topic in a book about 'keeping green' recipes. I use the opion/garlic recipe for bugs and it works. I would like those kids of simple recipes.

Kim

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  1:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Kim! I agree! I would be interested in seeing a section like that as well.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Great idea. Would you consider dish soap a "green" bug deterent?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Does dish soap really help deter bugs?:)

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  3:19:20 PM  Show Profile
An excellent idea for a book! And yes Jessie, dish soap kills bugs. It gives they diarrhea and they get dehydrated and die. It works great on bugs that regular sprays can't kill, like box elder bugs.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

root mama
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Melissa
Asheville NC
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  1:12:18 PM  Show Profile
I would also love to see a green farmgirl type of book. I am really into making my own home cleaning products and there are not many books out there. This could be so much fun! Do any of you have any favorite recipes?
Melissa in the Appalachia's
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Dish soap for bugs is kind of like plaster-of-Paris for rats.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile
So what will work for fleas? I have had indoor cats for years but never had the problem with fleas like I am now. I've tried adding a little apple cider vinegar to their drinking water but that isn't helping with the buggers in my carpet. I've tried spraying the carpet with vinegar water, letting it dry and then vacuuming but that's not working very well. I looked at some of the stuff on the shelf at the store, but they scare me with all the poison that is in them. Help!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com

Edited by - Buffalomary on Dec 18 2008 7:22:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  05:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ddmashayekhi

An excellent idea for a book! And yes Jessie, dish soap kills bugs. It gives they diarrhea and they get dehydrated and die. It works great on bugs that regular sprays can't kill, like box elder bugs.

Dawn in IL

Hmmm....if it does those things to bugs, I wonder what it is doing to us humans.

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/

Edited by - homesteaderbelle on Dec 20 2008 05:12:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  07:58:35 AM  Show Profile
I second Mary's cry for help. Took both of my cats to the vet and although no fleas were found, it was still recommended that we treat the house for fleas. I bought the stuff that I was told would work (at the vet's office), but once I got home and read ALL the directions I became very, very afraid. Due to health issues, this product can't and won't be used in my home. But, I know the ladies here are savvy and health-conscious...Help! What can I use to treat these little buggers?
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  08:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Hello, I too had fleas from a little poodle we adopted. My groomer treated the whole family (we have 4 dogs and two cats). She suggested that we use Borax in our house. Just sprinkle it on the carpets and vacumn it up. I left it on the carpets for 2 days, just to be sure. Wanted to make sure that it worked.

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  09:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I like the borax idea better than the stuff I also brought home. I didn't take time to read ALL the fine print until I got home and was horrified to read that I had to remove all animals from the house (not an option!) and no one could walk on the carpet after I treated it. I go barefoot 99% of the time, so I wouldn't be able to even do that!  Not an option! hehehe

In a sad note, I had used some of that liquid flea control stuff on all three of my cats. My youngest and smallest died Thursday night and even though I can't prove it, I do believe she was poisoned by this "safe - natural" stuff I got at the feed store. To top it off, it did not kill the fleas on them!

I have the next month off from school, so my plan is to attack the house and see if I can get them gone! Money is tight so I will have to be creative, but I can afford a box of borax! I will let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  1:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh no Mary, how awful about your kitty. I too will try the borax thing and see whether it will work, Patricia thanks loads for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  03:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I too did not like the flea spray either. The vet told me to vacuum every day for I believe 3 weeks straight to pick up the fleas as they hatch. It worked for me.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient." --Aristotle
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Green recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page