dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  05:35:04 AM  Show Profile
If you could only have one breed of chicken, which would it be?

I've been doing some research for my future farm for egg chickens, and so far I like the buff orpingtons, but figured I'd ask the experts here too! I liked the fact that buff orpingtons are docile,good egg layers, and cold weather hardy.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  07:19:27 AM  Show Profile
I have buffs and love them.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  07:19:32 AM  Show Profile
Diana-I have Buff's and you are right they are everything you say and they definatly like to go broody! I also have Deleware's and absolutly love them. My Deleware's are a step above the Buff's in the attitude department, but for the most part pretty calm. I have not had a broody Deleware yet, so if you are looking to raise chicks that is a consideration. As far as egg production they are great layers of large brown eggs. I must add that my Roo is absolutly majestic!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile
I like my rhode Island Reds. Large eggs good shells and very docile.They liked to have their back scratched.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  08:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Can't pick just one! So far, I'm loving the Cubalayas. They're considered ornamental birds here in the States, but they've been using them in Cuba for years as meat & egg birds. Very sweet, tame, will walk right up to you and let you pet them.

EDIT: ah, but they're not particularly cold tolerant. Never mind!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Tips blog: http://allingoodhealth.blogspot.com
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter: www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=46
Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275
pic: Godzilla the Goose. He's fierce, oh yes he is!

Edited by - chickabella on Jul 31 2008 09:17:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  08:39:30 AM  Show Profile
I'd have to agree on the Rhode Island reds. Docile, fabulous egg layers even well into their second year and I've never had a problem with feather picking or cannibalism. There are sure other breeds that are prettier, like the Buffs, but I tend to stick with the tried and true for me.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  08:49:25 AM  Show Profile
So it's not true that the Rhode Island Reds can be aggressive towards people? That's why I shyed away from them in my research.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile
I have had Banties the past 6 years..mixed flock and I love them...but really, after all the years of having chickens..my whole life..I would pick Rhode Island Reds. A great dual purpose bird, calm, friendly, good egg layers and hardy..and pretty too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  1:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Rocks - any color! Barred, Black, White, Buff, Red

We like getting a different color each year so we can tell how old they are.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:06:27 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with the Buffs. Even the roos are very gentle. My dad had both Rhode Island Reds and Buffs and by far the Buffs were the most gentle. The Red hens are good, but skittish and his Red roos were mean. Ask me how I know!! Those roos looked for the opportunity to spur a person and liked to chase me for some reason.
I had some chicks given to me that were Reds, they were all hens. They laid great brown eggs, but I didn't find them to be very friendly. They didn't let us pet them at all. :(
Once a Buff roo flew over the fence from my neighbors yard and came to visit my girls. The girls didn't appreciate him being in their yard. My kids were able to feed him from their hands and he loved to be petted. Whenever I get more chickens they will definitely be Buffs.

All this to say, everybody will have their favorites and you should go with what you are comfortable with. Have fun with it! :)

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:37:15 PM  Show Profile
I have had so MANY chicken breeds over the years! They each have their good points-- and bad (some more BAD than others!), but my Favorites have been the Salmon Faverolles. They're getting harder and harder to find, but I will have more in the future. I also LOVE the Dominiques (look like smaller Barred Rocks-- but with a rose comb instead of a single) They are EXCELLENT layers (though the eggs are med. size), the hens WILL go broody, but they can rear 12-15 chicks at a time all the way to adulthood--- such excellent mothers! I never had to buy chicks at all when my flock was full of those birds!! The roosters are not mean and the hens are usually not aggressive either.

Right now I have Buffs, 1 Rhode Island Red hen, Marans (Roosters and hens-- both are kinda mean and aggressive, but the hens lay the most BEAUTIFUL eggs!) Leghorn's (CRAZY birds! Always busy, but not mean at all, though hard to contain), banty's (Millie's, Cochins, Silkies and a Blue Dutch hen.) Jersey Giants, a few mixed hens and a remnant or two of my Dominiques (hens only). I love chickens!! Can't you tell?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:54:51 PM  Show Profile
What a good idea, Cyndi! I can't keep track of ours at all; the only ones I know for sure how old they are are the ones that hatched here (since they are pretty strange looking; cross breeds!).

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page