Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat milk production drop Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  07:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Our does freshened about 3 months ago. I was getting about a gallon and a half total from the 2 of them every day and was very happy with that!

Their production dropped drastically to where I was only getting about 3/4- 1 gallon a day from the 2 of them.

Yesterday, one of them only gave about a quart. Same this morning.

Their feed has changed slightly, but with still adequate grain portions. Plenty of fresh water, shade, etc. I am guessing the feed change and the heat has to do with the drop in production. I will change the feed back to the origional selection.

Other then changing their feed back, are there any other suggestions to try to boost their milk supply? If I milk the drying doe an extra session, will that boost it (like a person: supply=demand)? Thanks!!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  09:29:16 AM  Show Profile
Yes....the extra milking should help. That IS a dramatic drop in production!! I never noticed the heat make a difference with either my milk goats or my cow...nothing changed at all..in fact...some of their biggest production months are usually in summertime. But feed can make a huge difference..even a little change. My cow Mona hates (HATES) oats for some reason and won't touch feed with oats in it..so last year when I bought some sweet feed that had oats it made a big difference, I bet you can get the production back up some with change back to their regular feed and that extra milking for awhile. Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  06:20:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny! I knew you could give me a good answer. You are the guru on so many topics here!

I added in an extra milking; hopefully we'll see some boost soon.

Love the pics on your blog of Mona. She looks gorgeous as ever. ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Molly...I think she is pretty cute too! Let us know how it goes with the milking. Even though I love Mona I sure do miss having milk goats..they have so much personality!! I know Mona will likely be my only milk cow (can't imagine I would need a cow after the kids are grown!) so I will milk goats again someday I am sure. Of course Mona will be a queen in retirement by then!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lavendermom
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Houghton Lake MI
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  7:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Hello!
I am new here on the forums...I would like to share a tip for increasing milk production in dairy goats.

Feed your girls snacks of dill weed, fennel, and red raspberry leaf. These herbs help to promote lactation. I have had good luck with this. The herbs are not detected in the taste of the milk when given in snack size amounts, but don't go overboard with it. I would imagine that too much dill could give you a pickle flavor...yuck! Alfalfa also increases milk production.

Hope this helps someone!

Jennifer
www.homesteadblogger.com/fromfieldsandgardens
www.fromfieldsandgardens.com (lots of herb info!)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile
I supplement my hay with alfalfa pellets...which most goats like....I just add it to the grain when they get their ration while I am milking...for the cow and goat. My cow (and the goats before her) get alfalfa/grass hay.
I like the idea of the supplements Jennifer mentioned..great idea!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat milk production drop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page