Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Alligator problems Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  11:32:22 AM  Show Profile
We have been having alligators in our lake! We have called the Wildlife people, to no avail. Well, they want to hang poles with dead chickens on them, over the edge of the lake. Problem here is that I have 7 outside cats. I don't want to see one of the cats hanging over the lake! Guess what the wildlife people told me the number one food alligators enjoy? Cats and dogs. I am super worried, concerned, upset, etc... Any Louisiana Farm girls have any advice? Anyone else?

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  11:51:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh my!!! And I was thinking what a pain grasshoppers are!!! They at least won't eat the cats!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Sort of makes our snake phobia a little trivial now, doesn't it? lol

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Jenny:
That was funny!
I am in Louisiana. Ever ate alligator tail? So good. We never had any problems with alligators in our lake until after 2005 when Hurricane Rita flooded our area. Several alligators flooted in from the Gulf. There have been twenty or more in our lake. Some got out, some were picked up, etc...
One of my kittens were caught and eaten.
Have a great day.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Diana:
If I knew how to get a picture on here I would post one for y'all to see.
My husband hates snakes.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to the page.
I just realized I put my Alligator problems under the Garden area. How nuts of me.
My apologies ladies.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  6:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Marly, when I lived in Florida, this stuff happened to several of my friends and there have been places where the things would casually cross the street, so imagine swerving them!

Anywhoo...that is strange that the Fish and Wildlife folks wouldn't remove them. You might want to talk to your local city hall or town council about this problem, especially if you can get neighbors together...wouldn't they want their pets and--I dare say--small children, out of harm's way? They may then pressure the F and W or get something local together...

Other ideas..aren't there "nuisance" animal trappers out where you are...hopefully not the kind that "disposes" of them...but relocates? Unfortunately, you might have to pay them for removal, but it would keep your cats safe. Otherwise, you might have 7 INDOOR cats, as it's virtually unavoidable otherwise that they might be the next meal.

Sometimes reptile sanctuaries will take them also, but I don't know where you might be, and if there are said sanctuaries local to you.

In any case, I wish you luck and a good ending to this!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  6:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Zan: My neighbors and I thought of all that you mentioned. These alligators are getting larger and larger. And there are baby alligators, too! There is an alligator farm about an hour from where we live. I even called them. Their answer was that did not want WILD alligators mixed with theirs. What!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really!!!!!!! We live out in the country, so calling the city would not help. I even had an alligator trapper come out to the house. Well, he had a bit too much beer that evening. Couldn't even manage to get out of his truck. In fact, he asks me to "grab him a beer in the back of the druck." I won't even tell you what I told him. About two weeks later, my neighbor comes over to tell me she had called an expert alligator fellow to solve our problems. Guess who showed up! Yep. The truck fellow. The alligator saga continues. I'll try to figure out how to post a picture. That'll take me awhile!!! LOL Thanks for the post.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  8:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Marly- where in Louisiana are ya?

Ya might get the local TV station out to your place- that'll get Fish& Wildlife folks moving- especially if kids can venture near the lake.

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  8:26:21 PM  Show Profile
hmm see about getting an alligator hunting license..seriously... they alott a certain number of them to Fl. hunters every now and again...so maybe Louisiana might have something to certify you as a legal alligator hunter...alligator meat does taste good doesn't it?I'd contact your local Game and Fresh Water commission/hunting folks and check into what it takes to become a certified alligator hunter.
In the meantime I think I'd house the kitties and tell the folks to come put the chickens in the trees.
Because you certainly don't want them coming up into your yard..they can run pretty fast on land too and overtake a person ...contrary to what folks might think..they can run up to 25 miles an hour.And yep..cats and dogs are simply "snack food" for some of them.
Good luck to ya.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  9:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Autumn:
I live 30 minutes south of Lafayette. I'm afraid if me and/or the neighbors call the local TV station, that the truck man will come to MY HOUSE to hang his poles with chickens to catch the alligators. My cats will go nuts seeing that. I know my cats will be all around the lake checking that out. I've been keeping my cats away from the lake. If I even see them headed that way, I go nuts. In fact, at sunset today, there was a four foot alligator laying on a fallen tree in the lake. It was too far to scare away. Tomorrow I'll call the neighbors. Maybe one of them can think of something else to do. I do have a cage to catch them in, if they go in the cage. But- what to do with it after I catch it. Thanks for the post.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  9:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tina:
Good advice. Thanks. The wildlife people told us the only way we could shoot any of the alligators was if any were after family members or neighbors. That has happened. My neighbor was sitting down pulling weeds, and if I had not walked over, that darn alligator would have really given here something to think about! The wildlife people also stated to us that sometimes in the fall, they may let us 'take out' one or two. Hello! Why wait for the fall? Thanks for the post.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  5:35:26 PM  Show Profile
There is an alligator farm in Natchitoches parish. Maybe they would be willing to come get them and relocate them to their park/farm. It would be worth calling to find out. The W&F dept. is responsible for relocating them if they are a threat. I have had to swerve to miss them when they are crossing the road. They sure taste good. Do you have a fence around your place? If it were my kitties, I would have them ALL inside just to be safe. Keep us posted.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  8:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I have never faced that but what the wild life department told me was if I killed any of the prediators around here I was to keep my mouth shut, run it over with the truck about a million times and then bury it. We have had bears, mountain lions, coyotes, rattle snakes and drunken teenagers shooting at our animals but never a gator. I will hope that the problem gets handled soon and please be carefull. Let us know what happens - I never wish to move where the temp is hot enough to have gators but who knows it might be a very handy piece of information in life.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  9:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda:
No fence. My outside cats lately have been staying away from the lake. But with all the heat we having been having in Louisiana, the lake has lost alot of water. So, the cats are curious and want to inspect where the water has dropped. I like your suggestion and will surely give it a try. Thanks.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  10:00:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Grace:
When we continued to call the Wildlife people, about the tenth time, one of them said if you do have to kill one fo the alligators don't broadcast it. I guess the best thing we could do is to try to trap it ourselves, then call the Wildlife people and ask themm to come and pick it up.
Thanks for the post.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  07:16:52 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm....too bad Steve Irwin is no longer with us. We could put in a call for him to "rescue" those gators and take them to a spot better suited to them. I use to like watching his shows. How far away are you from Fort Polk? The reason I ask is because we are semi close to BAFB and I know that they have gators in the sleu's and lakes on base. Maybe the guys at Fort Polk do the same? I'm just guessing.
Your welcome for the suggestion, I know if it were a mountain lion or something of that nature roaming around, they wouldn't waste any time doing something about it. Maybe they are chicken and don't want to have to tackle that job.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  11:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi again Brenda:
I bet Steve Irwin would have been here on the first call. Too bad the world lost such an animal lover! I live closer to the Baton Rouge area, about an hour away; closer to Lafayette really. I've been thinking for days now why the wildlife people just will not do anything about it. This is what I came up with, and it kind of makes since. In 2005, three years ago in Sept., Hurricane Rita flooded our area. I had 5 feet of water in the house. That's when the darn alligators came in. There are probably just so many people with alligator problems that this wildlife people just can't handle it all.Of course, it I wait around for the W. people to get to my alligators, there will be A HUNDRED alligators in the lake!!!!! Thanks for the post.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  7:51:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh my!! You and those kitties stay safe and out of harms reach.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the post Brenda. I do watch the cats often. They do stay away from the lake. If I see them near the lake, I run out and chase them back close to the house. I think they figure everytime their by the lake that crazy lady runs after them, so they are getting my message.
Have a happy day!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  05:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Marly. The Alligator Farm that Brenda mentioned is real close to us. Want me to see what their policy is? And, I thought that we had lifted the gator hunting ban and, with a license, you could hunt gators now. Another thought, too. Randy is a volunteer with the WLF up here (he teaches youth hunting safety) -- maybe he can call one of his buddies and see what can be done. Let me know if I can help!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  07:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey Julie ~
I was thinking that same thing about the hunting ban.
Are you in Webster parish by chance? The reason I ask is because our 4-H club is needing an additional person to teach firearm safety. My ds in in the bb gun club and they are looking for an extra person to head this up.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  9:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie:
Yes. Please see what the policy on alligator hunting is. Thank you, again, so much! I found out today from the next door neighbor that the neighbor on the other end of the lake is feeding the alligators. Oh, well... maybe they will stay on the other end of the lake, and not bother us. Thanks for your post Julie.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh my stars!!!!! Feeding them is not good. Those gators are gonna lose any natural fear of humans that they may have had and will have no problem getting as close as they can if they think there is gonna be a free meal. Certainly not good. Hopefully they will stay on the other side of the lake away from you. Break out that recipe for fried gator and that gumbo recipe Marly it might come in handy someday.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  3:03:31 PM  Show Profile
I agree Brenda. In fact, the neighbor who is feeding them is missing one of their cats. This morning the man of the house rang our doorbell to ask if I had seen their big, black, fluffy cat. No, I said. I should have told him to check the lake for flooting objects. So sad.
Marly
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Alligator problems Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page