Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 are you glad school is almost open again?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic are you glad school is almost open again? Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:26:29 AM  Show Profile
.. or will you miss runnin' around with your kids?

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:43:49 AM  Show Profile
It went by so quick this summer...I wish there was another month. I look forward to getting our routine back since I am a very routine sort of person...but I will miss having them home too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:12:21 AM  Show Profile
I'll kind of miss the noise of the kids in the neighborhood. I am just so happy I don't teach anymore. I'd rather be working in the yard, and home with my furry children.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile
I homeschool, so fall has a different feel for us. I do miss the "school shopping" I remember as a kid...going out for new outfits, shoes, paper, pencils and all that stuff. I don't really need to buy a whole lot of that stuff and new clothes are bought at each birthday and at Christmas so we don't do that either. But we get a thrill out of digging out the books and rulers and getting each child...and the teacher...ready for that first day! I guess I always look forward to it, though I hate to see summer go so soon. It's nice to blow off the schedule and take off where ever we want to go.

Anyone else getting ready for homeschool????

CArrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  1:09:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm not too excited...because I'm one of those that has to go back to school lol! I love to learn and I love my school (UW go Huskies!) but I could use a little longer summer. I want to keep baking and knitting and cooking and reading and just sitting and looking at the sky to my little hearts content...I don't want to deal with class, essays, exams and such...not quite yet. Oh well...

Chelsey

Farmgirl Sister #283
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlof4
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Angela
Canyon Country California
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  1:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Send farmgirlof4 a Yahoo! Message
...the kids grow up so quick my oldest is 21 and my youngest 3 and I am glad they keep me young! They are excited my boys 1st grad and Kindergarden it will be fun walking to school wearing their new backpacks! May be I will get a little time to start some of those projects I see you all having so much fun with...

.....always a farmgirl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey Carrie,
We home school too. It has gotten to where we almost home school year round. We take off when necessary during the rest of the year and holidays. Our new books came in and the kids kept looking at them and finally said, "Is there any reason why we can't get started early?" I said for them to go ahead. We only took a month off. It is really much too hot to do anything outside, so we might as well be productive. We still shop for those new school supplies: paper, pencils, notebooks, etc. Where are you located at?

"Love one another."

Edited by - Homespun Livin on Jul 29 2008 1:40:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I hear ya Chelsey- I, too, AM the one going back to school, I can't wait!!! HA!! This was my first summer "off" since I was a kid, so it has been interesting. I am going take $20 and buy a bunch of back to school supplies to donate to the local schools, the prices are so great right now.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ready for the smell of new crayons, getting to meet new kiddos, how my feet feel when I slip off my shoes after a long day...and not having to put up with my son saying "I'm bored" every 5 minutes. We're just very scheduled, so getting back into the swing of things will be nice...however, it will be hard not loging in to visit the boards as much!!!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  4:02:37 PM  Show Profile
This summer went by quicker than ever - I'll miss my two somethin' awful when school starts up again.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile
this summer went by too fast..but..we are getting ready to resume our homeschooling schedule..by mid month next month we'll gear back up.
so we have about 2 weeks left of a break..then everything will be gung ho again.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  4:38:10 PM  Show Profile
NO!!! I teach so that means I have to go back to work! We start back next Wednesday! :(

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Wow Julie, y'all are starting back a week and a half earlier than we are! When is the start of the six weeks for you??

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  7:50:34 PM  Show Profile
I DO look forward to subbing again when school starts..I miss all the extra little friends in the summer...although in a town this small I see them everywhere!! The extra $$ when I go back to work is always nice too. It will be sort of sad this year that none of my own kids will be at the elementary school I work at any more...I will have one in high school and 3 at the middle school...sigh.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  8:18:28 PM  Show Profile
we school year round so we can take days off here and there.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  8:58:45 PM  Show Profile
I will also be the one going back to school and I am ready!! I waited 35 years for this chance and I still find it hard to believe some days!! Now if I can just get everything done I want to do in 4 years!!

Buffalomary

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com

Edited by - Buffalomary on Jul 29 2008 8:59:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I can't wait. My kids were bored by the second day. I have tried to keep them busy, but even extra little chores and activities etc. don't help.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  09:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Brenda-

We used to do year round too but I found that I really need the break for the summer. Don't really like being stuck inside when my garden is calling. But then again...gardening and camping and doing summer stuff is all a learning experience so we don't really EVER stop doing school! I have graduated two already and have one doing her last year of homeschool before a year of international exchange (England is her hope) for her senior year. Then I have two more after that. We really like homeschooling most of the time and I like the flexibility of it. We take vacations when we want and do school when there is nothing else going on even if it's a snow day or other vacation day. We also only work until noon because we get so much done in a short time. They are motivated learners most of the time!

Do you have a group you do field trips with?? We have lots of other homeschoolers in NY and there are groups we get together with sometimes. I can't believe I'm half done with schooling them. I know that if I blink they will grow up and be gone!!!

I am one hour north of Albany, in the foothills of the lovely Adirondack Mountains. We like to hike and camp there but our animals keep us home so we don't go as much as we used to.

How many kids do you school, and what ages? Mine are 16 (almost), 14, and 11.

How many years now??

Blessings in the coming school year! We'll start in earnest the second week of Sept.

carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:28:43 AM  Show Profile
I am so ready for my oldest to start! He will be in 1st grade... I'm just not exciting enough for him! lol He loves the social aspect of school and likes to be in the middle of the action. My dd has another year before she starts K and my younges ds will have 4 years.. So I'll still have plenty of action at home, just not as much. It seems when one child is gone, the house is a much calmer, quieter place ;)

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  10:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie.

We homeschool as well! We basically go year around and then take several mini breaks through out the year. You know like the first sign of spring, hunting season etc. I am a tad bit behind this year as I do still need to order a few curriculum items for language arts. Other than that I think it is really me who loves the idea of going out and buying new pencils and notebooks. Our local art store usually has a huge sale as well so that works well for both the kiddos and me!

Hugs~

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  09:52:08 AM  Show Profile
Hey Christina--

How many students do you teach?? Do you ever do library books for subjects like history and science? I find that I save a bundle by utilizing the library!!

Best wishes this September!! (PS we are a little behind this year, too. Too many other things to do...we're in a play with a local theater group.. the whole family! So that is a great opportunity and such a good thing for the kids to experience. Like I said earlier, all of like is about learning!!!)

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  10:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Being a rural school bus driver means I'm headed back to WORK now that school is starting. I have mixed emotions on this. I love my freedom from the split shifts but I function better in a routine. I've been driving my 50 mile loop twice a day for 9 years now, or is it 10? Can't remember exactly. lol Every June I feel like THIS will be my last year and then every August I detail my bus so it's sparkling clean for all the kids in their new school clothes. So I guess I do look forward to school starting and yet I'll miss some of the free time I've had all summer for getting projects done or just wasting time. :)

Happy Farmgirl Sister #306!
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  07:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie!

I homeschool my two children. My daughter is 16 and my son 12 1/2. Wow where does the time go! Yes, we do utilize our library as well. We were horrified when our favorite liabrarian transferred locations. It seems that the older they get though the more I have had to buy. Especially for science! Although, I did find a great local place that will send preserved specimens to the house but we still are in need of a new microscope this year.

The last 2 years we have been really focusing more on life learning and exposing the children to all kinds of different cultural and other experiences. Of course they are always required to do Reading, Writing and Arithmatic! I am sure they wish they were more like their un-schooling friends!

That is great that you are all performing in a play as a family. My son and I love the Arts, all of them. My husband and daughter are not as into them. Which is kinda nice because it really gives my son some nice one on one time with me.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  07:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
School starts back on the 25th of this month here. I can't wait! The kids are starting to get bored and they are actually looking forward to going back. They go to a great school, so it makes it even better for them. My youngest goes to full time Kindergarten this school year and she is very excited! Mom is ready for a little peace and quiet too! I also have to do some job hunting when they go back, so things should be interesting here!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Christina-

I just don't understand un-schooling. I so much want my kids to be able to make it in the world and to know that they can do anything--I don't see that happening in un-schooling. Kids seem to be more into avoiding learning than pursuing an education.

I find Science to be the hardest to get into because of the limited resources--or EXPENSIVE resources!! We do what we can and watch videos of scientific stuff, but I don't do disections and that...too quesy!! But we've hatched eggs under a hen and other more simple experiments. That's fun!

Sounds like you're pretty much into highschool learning now. Does that make you nervous?? I've graduated two and they seem to be doing well so far so I guess we did okay!!

Best wishes in Sept!
Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Carrie M~

Yes, the high school years do make me a tad bit nervous once in a while. But then I think back to my high school years and try to remember what I learned.....Ha! Not too much. So I know that I am providing more than what I got. Plus, I try to find locals in the community that can provide reasonable "classes" and some have even traded for services. Which I love! We do watch alot of learning shows as well. History is usually our most difficult mainly because I am horrible at it. Science is a breeze because I have a Health Care background and I love it. Hunting season has often brought us a lot of opportunity to explore different things like how the heart works ect. No matter how old they get they always want to disect owl pellets.

Unschooling...Humm. I have seen it work well for some. Especially those who have lots of money to be able to travel globally and enroll their kids in nearly every class the area has available. But then is it really unschooling anymore?? I have also seen it work well for a few folks that have no extra funds and are very resourceful. That being said I do believe that children learn best when it is something that interest them. Which is why the majority of our science, history, art etc. are child driven, but always on going. They get first choice but if they can't decide I will decide for them. Reading and Math are not a choice. I too want my children to feel like they can go out and do anything in life. Whether it be a career person, artist, farmer or farmgirl, chef, doctor, lawyer or all around domestic diva. At least I know I have provided them the tools they need to be learners. They know how to successfully find the answers to their own questions.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195

Edited by - City_Chick on Sep 04 2008 05:59:42 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic are you glad school is almost open again? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page