Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 who uses cloth diapers and where do I get them?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic who uses cloth diapers and where do I get them? Next Topic
Page: of 3

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Good morning gals.....
I am interested in learning about cloth diapers....pros and cons...also..where do you get them? thanks

"learn to watch snails" SARK

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile
It's been a while since my kids were young, long enough that those cloth diapers I recycled into rags are now long gone, BUT...I remember my faves were from JCPenney in the baby department and I liked the non-prefolded ones. Think they were called birdseye/cotton and were large. I folded them myself. I wouldn't have had it any other way than cloth diapers myself, due to expense of disposables and the landfill "issue" of them also. I was a stay at home mom then and had the time and inclination to wash everyday so washing them wasn't an issue. They make great rags after toilet training too.

Have fun checking out your options.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  08:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Melanie-

You can buy them from places like www.thenaturalabode.com which is in Moscow, ID or....Make them!

Do you sew? Also if you want, I can sew them for you if you pay the cost of material and shipping to get them to you. Cloth diapering is amazing! Nora is 18 months and I think we have used less than 10 packages of disposables on her. There is also a place in Canada called "Diapering Decisions" that have a great system. I got a box of used diapers for free that were from there. They are really nice.

Here is a link to the pattern I use:
http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Mine were just pinking sheared all around the edges, rectangular pieces of cloth, no stitching needed, but you know girls, I'm a bit out of touch with the current way of doing baby things.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:09:15 AM  Show Profile
I cloth diapered my babies too...a long time ago of course (only my two very oldest boys are "homemade" the rest we adopted after the diaper stage) and used the birdseye one. Boy did I covet those prefolded curity ones though!! Never had any..the others were cheaper. I did love cloth diapering though. There are so many choices now!! They have amazing diaper covers and prefolds and homemades and all ...just awesome choices.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:20:14 AM  Show Profile
Alee:
You are such a kind person. I wish we were neighbors.
I was going to say that I never would use cloth diapers now-a-days, but the land fill issue stopped me in my tracks. You've got a point. So, yes, cloth diapers would be a good choice. I used them for my son. LOl
Marly
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I vote for cloth. Nice soft cotton on a baby's bum. Could there be anything nicer? I did use disposables but I also did not have to pay for them. I really did not have a choice as my X-husband would not hear of cloth. If I had it to do again it would be cloth. If you return to work you may have to use disposable as most daycares and daycare providers will not use the cloth.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  12:15:54 PM  Show Profile
I bought mine at Target.
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  1:30:36 PM  Show Profile
I totally think the cloth diapers are better! Way nicer for the baby's skin and good for the environment...no plastic poopy diapers rotting in land fills. In my area I know there is a company and service with cloth diapers. It's something like you pay and get the diapers and then every week (I think) they come and pick up the soiled diapers and drop off new ones. I will investigate this further and let you know.

Chelsey

Farmgirl Sister #283
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  1:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We saved well over $2000 by doing cloth diapers, Nora's pediatrician said that he notices that cloth diapered babies seem to have healthier backsides and less diaper rash. She has never had too severe diaper rash- all easily treatable with some balm and air time. I have heard of people having to get antibiotics and special cream from the doctor for diaper rash! Yikes! Washing them is really easy, especially for the first 6-9 months. All the mess just washes away in today's efficient machines. Just run a rinse load before washing (more water effective than rinsing after each diaper) then once solids are introduced to baby's diets, the solid waste just tips right off into the toilet to be flushed and the diaper put in the laundry.

PLUS- we never ever had a "stinky diaper odor" around the house. I have lots of details about cloth diapering on my blog.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:03:54 PM  Show Profile
I've gotten them before at WalMart or Target when I bought them as baby shower gifts. I'm past the baby stage myself ;)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  8:09:21 PM  Show Profile
just wondering....for those of you that make your own...do you use "plastic" pants or something similar?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  9:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Diaper wraps have come a long way since the plastic pants of our child hood. There are breathable cloth wraps that are slightly plasticized (you wouldn't even know to feel them) or you can knit or make your own wool soakers. The wool soakers are washable but you do have to re-lanolize them occasionally.

You can also make the contoured cloth diapers with a PUL liner that eliminates the need for wraps or soakers, but it also makes them less breathable, longer to dry and increases the likelihood of diaper rash. That being said- they are much more convenient.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  9:14:16 PM  Show Profile
My Mom gave me my first set of cloth diapers and she made them out of 100% cotton flannel. After she showed me what to do, I had lots of fun with the diapers and my kids had quite the wardrobe!! Forget the plain colors, let's go for designs!! As they got older and outgrew the need for the diapers, they became great cleaning rags. I used them until they fell apart.

Buffalomary

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  05:05:51 AM  Show Profile
o gals...I have sooo many questions LOL!! when you say you make them out of cloth flannel...do you mean that you just cut rectagular pieces of cloth and then pin them on? you have all been so informative and you gals rock for helping me out!!

Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Sorry for the delay in answering...

We would cut along the fold and then cut them as close to a square as we could. I don't remember the exact measurements, my baby is now 25!! I put in a shirttail hem to keep them from fraying. There is nothing wrong with experimenting though to find what works for you. Make them more of a rectangle so you don't have to fold so much. You can also sew a small extra "patch" stragically placed to absord more urine if you would like. I asked Mom about the size and she couldn't remember exactly either (something about her baby being 46 - imagine that!! lol)

Buffalomary

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Melanie-

There are flat fold diapers that are essentially a square piece of cloth that you fold and pin. Follow the link to see some examples:
http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaper_folding101_flatfold.htm
http://www.diaperware.com/picturepages/flatfolding.htm
I used the "Origami" fold as I found it held up much better.

Then there are Chinese and Indian pre-fold diapers that are basically a smaller square with a pre-sewn "soaker" in the middle. Here are some instructions on how to fold those:
http://www.thediaperhyena.com/diaper_folding101.htm

Then there are the contoured diapers that look and act just like disposables but are washable. They are closed by snaps or velcro usually.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile
What kind of fabric are these diapers made with?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  4:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I make mine with knit or flannel. I like the knit better and the internal soaker for the contoured diapers can either be flannel or terry, though I like Terry better.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  11:00:19 AM  Show Profile
so could I just use old flannel sheets? (I tried to check out the geocities site that you posted, but it says that it isn't available)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie-

Yes- you could use old flannel sheet very easily! Here is another link to making contoured diapers as the Mama Bird one seems to go off-line periodically:

http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_fitteds.html
http://www.zany-zebra.com/free-cloth-diaper-patterns.shtml

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  1:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Alee, let me know of the price of the ones you would make. I need some more. Right now I don't have the money, but when I do, I would buy from you! :)

I would say any day care that will not accept cloth diapers, or even try, then you need to move on to a different one. As you are the customer, they are providing a service, they are there to serve you, and give you what you are paying for. I refuse to have all those chemicals in a disposable diaper next to my baby! She has thankfully never wore them, and never will. Of course I'm a SAHM. But, I just can't imagine leaving my daughter some where, they wouldn't respect my values, and the way I want my daughter treated, for 1/3 of her life. (staying there 1/3 of the day if you work).

I also use to work in day cares, and I just can't imagine telling a mom, I wouldn't do cloth.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  2:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Heather!

I just sent you an email.

I agree- I think cloth is so easy. My husband who is the ultimate at wanting convience is even convinced on cloth. It's amazing when the guys even are telling their friends that they should consider switching!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:33:59 PM  Show Profile
lol My husband is behind it 100 percent too.

Especially after visiting other people. I don't know if you have noticed or not, but disposable diapers smell to high heaven when dirty! lol

I always heard well wait till your daughter starts eating "food" (she was on breast milk 100% of the time for quite some time, she still is on some breast milk) and then yours will start stinking too. Well she's 23 months old, and eating all kinds of things. And I could count on one hand how many "stinky" diapers she has had! Most the time I can't tell by smell that she needs changed!

Others in disposables I can smell a mile away! lol Those chemicals scare me! lol

Thanks for the email! I got it! :)
Go to Top of Page

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I loved using cloth diapers. My oldest was allergic to anything disposable, so I even used cloth when we traveled. I loved the Kushie diapers. They were expensive, but convenient and now four babies have worn them and they still held up. After all the years of cloth diapers, I was surprised to find cloth menstrual pads. I had no idea they existed. Now I have switched and I find them so much more comfortable. There are several cottage industries online of people selling diapers and cloth pads.

Farmgirl Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  10:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Des- Yes! Rebekka Mae here on the forum makes the Moon pads! She uses the prettiest Organic Cotton!

Heather- Yes- Doug and I are very proud that we don't have the "Diaper" smell in our house!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Family Matters: Previous Topic who uses cloth diapers and where do I get them? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page