Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 who uses cloth diapers and where do I get them?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic who uses cloth diapers and where do I get them? Next Topic
Page: of 3

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  08:26:53 AM  Show Profile
hmm, the kushies haven't held up well for me. I've had them less then a year, and they are in shreds.......:( And I only line dry. I don't know what was wrong with them. They were easy to use though. Until they fell apart. :(

I like wraps better now I think.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  1:30:28 PM  Show Profile
thanks everyone!!
Alee...I checked out that link...looks great and fairly easy..the problem is, i don't have a sewing machine...sooooo I'll check the local fabric shop and see if they can be of help. I may sew some by hand.

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie-

Email me if you want me to sew some for you. A sewing machine is great! Perhaps you could find a used one at a sewing machine repair shop/vacuum shop?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh another PS don't buy those gerber type at walmart and such and think you can "diaper" with them. They are "ok" for burp clothes, but do pretty much zilch as a diaper. Personally I don't even like to use those things for burp clothes. I preferred the kind at Baby's R US that were like a cotton knit (like teeshirt material), and in cute little colors/patterns. They were much softer, and absorbed more. Any one who ever had to care for my daughter always went on and on about them being better then other kind they used. They would be easy to make! If you do buy a sewing machine. It was basically a double layer of knit sewn into a rectangle.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  08:34:03 AM  Show Profile
I have something to confess ladies....are you ready....I am afraid of sewing machines!! okay, not afraid like someone who is afraid of snakes, just more intimidated by them. Back in highschool home-ec the teacher wasn't very patient and I could never get the tension on the thread right..very frustrating!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  08:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie-

I totally understand. I had never bought a sewing machine until I was pregnant with Nora! I had never used one before!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  5:47:54 PM  Show Profile
I think I'll ask "Santa" for a little easy sewing machine for Christmas this year. It is something that I have always wanted to learn to use.

Go to Top of Page

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  6:07:49 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear the Kushies did not hold up well for you, Magnolia Whisper. I hope you contacted them and got your money back. Really, it is unacceptable for expensive diapers not to last. My little girl turns 12 this week (sniff, sniff, she is out of diapers and into bras!) so the Kushies I bought were bought in 1996. I wonder if they make them differently now.

Farmgirl Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  05:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh I'm sure they make them much differently!

They make the wonderoos different too! And I loved the old kind, the new ones the elastic is shot with in weeks of purchase. The old ones are 2 years old and still going strong! And I bought them used!

As for contacting kushies, what a joke! One package they sent me the diapers were already ripped! The cover (outside) part! Like some one had accidently sliced it with a knife of some sort! Well, we called ASAP upon delivery. And they said I HAD to buy more now and in the meantime send them back the ripped ones, and upon them getting the ones I returned they would give me my money back. But, for now so I would have diapers to "buy" more. I didn't want to do that, I didn't think that sounded good! But, my husband was desperate and he was the one on the phone with them (cause I hate the phone) and he did it! Well.........3 months after we sent the diapers back still no money. I started calling, even with my hate of the phone. Each time they would say yes, we have record of your return, you should have your money by the end of the week. Weeks would pass still no money. Finally after 8 months and me calling every few weeks I got our money back. I don't think I would of ever seen the money if I wouldn't have called so much! I really don't have time to call 5,000 more times about these that are worn out, when it took that much time to get refunded on ones that arrived tore up!

Plus I think I finally got our money back at the end, cause I threatened to call the better business beureu.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Aug 16 2008 05:13:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- That is so disappointing! I am like you- I call, call, call if something like that happens.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile
wow, that sucks to get service like that....We would never get service like that when we order from MJF :)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  08:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Bella and Alee.

It was quite something. I like the looks and the price of the Kushies wraps (I was using the ALL in Ones) but because of how they did us with the AIO I probably won't be buying their wraps.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  09:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is the wrap I use:
http://www.bummis.com/en/Products/covers/SuperSnap.html

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  7:18:45 PM  Show Profile
So, I am new to all this diaper talk but since I'll be having a little one in February, I guess I better learn quick...but I'm confused by the whole thing. My mom used cloth with me, but it was cloth and pins and some vinyl pants that didn't breathe well (hello 1973).

This is an EXAMPLE, not necessarily what I'll be doing, but I have questions, so humor me.

If I use gerber prefolded cloth diapers, do I have to use pins? I don't want to. I don't see myself making them..seriously, I don't even have time to iron my clothes.

What do I put on the outside of the diaper?

Is there some sort of "lining" that helps make it more absorbent?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  8:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-
Cloth diapers have come a long way since we were in them! I would not suggest using the Gerber pre-folds. They are best used as burp rags- and pretty much useless as diapers. They can be used successfully on brand new newborns, but once they are about a month old you are going to want something more industrial! LOL

Yes, with a pre-fold you must still use pins, and their name is mis-leading. You still have to fold them! You can also use something called a "Snappi". Think that little metal thing that ace bandages come with connected to 2 others by elastic. They are pretty cool, but pins are cheaper.

Look to my post directly above yours- you will see a modern diaper wrap. No longer made of vinyl, but rather a polyester mesh type. There are lots of different diaper wraps out there- but I love the Super Snap. Velcro always gets tons of dog hair in it around here so the snaps are cleaner. I just wash and dry my wraps. They are dryer safe.

There are also contoured diapers that look exactly like a disposable diaper but are cloth. They take longer to dry, but are great for on the go and for those who are bamboozled by cloth diapers.

All diapers can be lined with extra soaker pads that are easy to make- you can even buy wash clothes, fold in thirds and lay on the diaper.

I sewed almost all the cloth diapers for Nora and am going to be designing some pull up cloth diapers for Nora soon. If you would like- email me and we can work out a price for me to make diapers for you.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Aug 20 2008 8:12:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  05:04:55 AM  Show Profile
I would have Alee make them for me if I was you.

The picture that Alee posted is of a cover you put over the diaper to keep it from leaking. Dappi's have even cheaper covers at Babybestbuy. Others really swear by shorties/longies-wool covers. The dappies work ok for me most the time. I think with Alee style diapers they would work great.

To tell you the truth.......most the time I don't use a real diaper in there. I put in a terry cloth doubler by kissaluv, or wonderoos, and a piece of fleece and that's it. I don't pin or snappi. However, I think the covers get less soiled if you pin or snappied. lol haha I just never reuse a cover. I just wash them when ever I change a diaper. But, others who pin/snappi they can change a diaper and keep using the same cover. Cause it keeps all the stuff contained. The way I do it, it's mainly just absorbing most the urine so it won't go out the cover! lol haha But, still usually gets on the cover on the inside, so I change the cover each diaper change.

One thing you can easily do no matter what kind of diaper you choose is go and buy some fleece, any fleece will do! It's a no sew project. You just cut out either rectangles, or what I prefer rounded T's. The fleece wicks moisture away from the baby preventing rashes. AND if they do get a rash and you need to use a diaper rash cream, they will keep the cream from ruining your diapers. (the cream will not only stain diapers, but keep them from absorbing future urine!), fleece also helps the poop not stain the diapers. Fleece rarely stains! :) It's so cheap, I just throw away the fleece liners that get mucked up too much with diaper rash cream. I just sit and cut out around 3 or 4 at a time when I do it. I use pinking sheers to make them cute around the edges, but any scissors would do.

http://www.wolfprncez.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Aug 21 2008 05:07:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  05:08:10 AM  Show Profile
oh if you have a whole foods, I noticed they also are selling pocket AIO one size fits all bum genius, which is a highly reccomended diaper. I have never used it. But, you may want to just go buy one and wait for the LO to come and see if you like them or not. It's a completely no pin/snappi diaper. It uses velcro.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Aug 21 2008 05:08:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for the recommendation Heather! You are so sweet!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  5:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Welcome! It's the truth. If I was starting all over, I wish I would of had you to make them for me in the beginning! And just used the dappi covers, I would of saved a ton of money! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile
I used Motherease Diapers and covers, also Bummis Super Whisper Wraps were another favorite cover of mine.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  1:10:23 PM  Show Profile
Well gals.....baby is here!! I just got home from the hospital today. He is soooooo cute. Lloyd Oliver Zachariah MacFarlane
But we will call him Oliver everyday :) Alee...I think I would love to have you make me some diapers...much easier that way:)

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  1:18:19 PM  Show Profile
My DIL will be a new mom in January. She has a paralyzed left arm from an automobile accident. How do you suggest she diaper her munchkin while Dad is gone to work?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  1:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Yea for you now the good times start.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  3:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Melanie! You are going to be a great mom! I would love to make you some diapers! Just let me know if you want flat fold or contoured diapers.

Betty- Your DIL can still do cloth diapers if she is interested in them. The contoured cloth diapers can be made with velcro so they are just as easy to do as the disposables.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  4:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Yup I would do velcro. The dappies are velcro. And cheap. But, need to be changed often (or they leak). I can honestly say cloth diapering is really no harder then disposable.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Family Matters: Previous Topic who uses cloth diapers and where do I get them? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page