Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Hankies - Making them new again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hankies - Making them new again Next Topic  

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  12:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I've got a great collection of vintage hankies about 100 in total. About 65 of them have hand crochet or tatted edgings. Of that group about four of them with crochet edging need to have the hankie portion replaced.

Does anybody have any experience in re-attaching crochet lace? How did you do it? All four have the "foundation row" single crocheted on to the hankie edge. I'm thinking that when removed the first row may have extra thread due to being worked over the fabric edge.

I have used hankie lace edging in the past to embelish photo frames and pillows. I just tacked it onto the fabric with thread and didn't have to worry about that first row. But this lace is so sturdy and pretty that I'd like to keep it on a hankie.

I'd appreciate any help.

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  08:34:34 AM  Show Profile
I have never done this myself, but if I were to attempt it, I would do this: instead of undoing ANY of the crochet edging, even the first foundation row, I would cut the fabric away very carefully instead. Due to the nature of crochet, you just can't take apart the first "foundation row" and expect the rest of the lace to maintain its integrity. With matching crochet thread (or white, or complimentary color) slip stitch your crocheted edging to your new hankie from the back side.

Annie
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hankies - Making them new again Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page