Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  07:08:06 AM  Show Profile
water your garden? Morning? Evening? How many times a week?

I use to be an evening waterer, but have since changed to watering my plants in the morning so that they will have enough to drink to sustain them through this 100* plus temps we have been having. I have also read that they are more suseptible to disease if watered in the evening. So in an effort to be a good plant momma, I water early in the morning. Makes sense because it is a better time of the day to weed too. As for how many times per week, I have been giving them a drink daily. In this heat, they need it. How about y'all?

"Love one another."

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  07:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
we water anytime we get the chance but then we dont have to worry about heat or night time darkness here lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  07:25:51 AM  Show Profile
I water in the morning. In a normal summer I would water everyday, but this summer has been a really weird one. Very chilly nights and somewhat warm days (it seems like fall already). So currently the garden gets watered about 4-5 times a week.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  07:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been watering twice a day until recently. The plants were too small to shade their own roots and the roots were not very deep. Now I am watering once in the morning/mid morning.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:27:44 PM  Show Profile
I water young or newly transplanted plants twice.....early in the a.m. and later in the evening when the sun goes behind the trees.

If it's supposed to be really hot, then I just stick to later in the evening for already established plants.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  2:27:27 PM  Show Profile
I try to water in the morning. It is so hot, dry, and humid here in Louisiana that I should water three times a day. I'll water the bigger plants more in the evening.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  2:56:05 PM  Show Profile
Uusually in the morning and then I check and sometimes have to water some at night again...especially things in pots and stuff..but always in the morning...it rained last night so we got a break today..but it is hot enough that I better check things tonight.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  4:01:49 PM  Show Profile
I water in the morning. It all depends on how much rain we get as to how often. I base this on the appearance of the plants and the dampness of the soil. We've been getting plenty of rain, so I haven't had to do much hand watering. If it is an exceptionally hot and dry day and the plants are looking droopy, I will water them in the evening, but I'm very careful not to get the leaves wet. I want to invest in some soaker hoses, just haven't been able to do that yet.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  6:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
In the evening. We only have gourds planted this year. This is our first attempt at any kind of garden. I try to water every other evening, but it doesn't always get done. *sigh*

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:06:12 PM  Show Profile
I water in the mornings and also mulch heavily so the ground does not dry out quite as fast. I also watch the plants, some need water daily, especially those in pots but others can go every other day or so. It also depends on the weather. When it is really hot (up into the 100s) I water more frequently than if the temps are in the 80s. I have also used a soaker hose for the first time this year and that has made a difference with my tomatoes ( I think), at least I am only watering the plants and not all the weeds in the walkways!! One of my future plans is to put in a bubbler system for the fruit trees and try to hook it up to a timer so it comes on before I want to crawl out of bed and will shut off while I am at school/work.

Buffalomary

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic When do you... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page