Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was out weeding and digging a bed for my zucchini when I suddenly felt an awful strong sting/burn/jolt in my arm and then my hand. I jumped back and realized it was a yellow jacket that I hadn't seen coming! Yikes! Then of course I saw about 20 more zooming around. Looks like I am going to have to buy or make some yellow jacket traps. I don't want Nora to get stung by one!

My arm is okay and I think he had used up most of the venom in his sting before he stung my hand because isn't even sore. Where he got my arm is sore, but not swollen. I can feel the soreness in sub layers of my skin , about the diameter of silver dollar.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, that is terrible. Those yellow jackets are not to be messed with. I can remember when I was doing some weed-eating and had a bumblebee fly up my shirt. He was glad to get out, but not before a couple of stings. Have problems with those paper wasp nests under the eaves of my house. I use a high power water jet to get rid of the nests. Then I noticed they were building a nest inside a post of my dog kennel. They are everywhere!

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Give me good old honey bees any day over a wasp! Sounds like your yard is a lot like mine. These wasps build those papery nests too. I am always afraid to squirt at them until it gets cold out. I can just see wasps swarming after me because I ruined their next. :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Jul 25 2008 10:42:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:42:46 AM  Show Profile
Raw bacon will attract them away from your garden. Won't kill them just get them away.
The plastic traps at stores work really well.

Mud from the garden on the bite helps after.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow Alee! That sounds terrible! I am actually allergic to bee/yellow jacket/wasp stings so that is really scary to me. I have to carry an Epi pen with me where ever I go. I hope your yellow jacket problem goes away soon. I really wish there were more honey bees in the world. They are good for gardens and crops and they are much prettier looking than their relatives!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's actually okay now. My arm stopped hurting. Unfortunatley that sting signed their death warrants as far as I am concerned!

Chelsey- Be careful out there! I was terrified that Nora was going to get stung and that I would find out the hard way that she is allergic. Yikes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  2:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh..Alee..so sorry you got stung but yes...thank goodness Nora is ok. I am scared to death of bees/hortnets/wasps because my mother was allergic and I thought I was but I got stung one day and lived to tell about it so I guess I'm not but I still get really panicky when they come around. I've been lucky in my life and only got stung a couple times so far...knock on wood! LOL!! But I think the neighbors get a good laugh because I scream and run around my yard like a crazy woman!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  2:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Ouch Alee:
So happy that Nora is fine. Sorry the wasp got you. Hope you're feeling better by now.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
alle a paste of baking soda on the sting helps alot! as does withc hazel. my daughter is deathly allergic (quits breathing) but luckily the bees hee either dont ahve as much venom or its a different kind cuz she can acutally survive a sting without anythign but benedryl! since she can manage ot find bees in the dead of winter to sting her its a very good thing! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Connie- How scary for you and your daughter! I am very thankful that I am not allergic like that! My neighbor and I are going to make wasp traps today. They won't even know what hit them!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  07:59:22 AM  Show Profile
POOR BABY! {{{HUG}}} Yellow jacket stings are the WORST. We use a homeopathic product called Sting Stop for all such things. Works great, but prevention is better. What kind of wasp traps do you make? Teach us!
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile
The best way to kill the entire nest is to attack them after dark when they are all in the nest for the night. This is how we do it, works every time! They are more chilled out at night. I hate red wasps. I know they pollinate, but give me honey bees any day. Oh yeah, did you know that dragon flies will eat a wasp? I actually saw this with my own eyes. I couldn't believe it. I saw this dragon fly land on our downspout and he was eating something. When I looked closer, it was a wasp! The dragon flies and wasps have been doing head to head combats over here. But yeah, try going after them at night.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  04:59:20 AM  Show Profile
That's awful, Alee. We had a bad hornet/yellow jacket year last year. They were everywhere. Hanging around our back door, taking over the hummingbird feeders, hanging around the courthouse doors; we couldn't seem to get away from them. This year there are NONE. I don't know if it was the really hard winter we had, or what. But I'm glad they're not such a nuisance this year.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  05:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is the trap I made:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf74366323.tip.html

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Ouch! It's interesting that something so small can definitely get our undivided attention!! So sorry to hear you were stung but also glad Nora is okay. My dad mistakenly grabbed a can of carborator cleaner one night instead of the wasp spray and the results were amazing! It did a better job! I would just be careful where I spray it because the odor is much worse and seems to hang on forever! I try to discourage them building nest by stuffing old plastic bags into hollow areas where they might try to build nests such as the clothes line post and other such locations. I wasn't aware that wasps sent out an odor, which I find interesting because my dad will take a cloth rag and just crush the nest with wasps and all and he seldom gets bit!! I don't have the courage to do it like he does, but I do like the wasp trap! Thanks for sharing the website!!

Buffalomary

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Defense Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page