Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 how do you prepare for a baby?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic how do you prepare for a baby? Next Topic  

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Hello my wise farmgal pals...
Hubby and I are adopting a baby. I am soooo excited and over the moon about it all. Every now and then, I get nervous...
I wonder if I am getting all the right things ready. How did you all get ready for your babies?

"learn to watch snails" SARK

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  07:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Melanie!! What a blessing.

We kept it really simple.
10 swaddle blankets
2 heavier blankets
10 onesies
2 hats
10 pair of socks
diapers
wipes
diaper ointment
5 bottles
swing
crib or pack and play w/4 sheets
baby monitor
cotton balls
baby oil
large fluffy, soft blanket to lay on the floor so the baby could stretch out and be comfortable
stroller

The amount made it possible to go 2-3 days before doing laundry so you are not overwhelmed. Lots of love and kisses.

Comfy blanket and pillows for sitting in my big lounger. Really helped keep me comfy and cozy. Also, I wore yoga pants for the first 3 months with basic t-shirts. I didn't have time to even think about getting dressed. I also got my hair done right before Charlie arrived and got a pedicure. I felt so much better after coming home from the hospital to not look too much like a wreck and not having any time to do anything about it.

1 month before Charlie arrived, we packed up alot of stuff around the house and move out some furniture to keep in simple as far as cleaning and upkeep and just giving us some space to breath, we packed the freezer with 1 pot homemade meals that even Scott could put in the oven.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jul 28 2008 07:13:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  07:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather's list is a great one. A newborn baby doesn't really require toys but a nice mobile and some colorful things on the nursery wall are a good idea because their eyesight does sharpen pretty quick. I would also suggest buying a sling or a Snugli (Slings are best for newborns). I
wore Nora a lot and it helps with so many things. Mother and baby have a longer bonding period because they are close so much of the time, your hands are free to do a lot of your normal tasks, baby sleeps better and seems to have less instances of colic.

Rebekka Mae here on the forum makes FABULOUS slings out of the most beautiful organic fabric, btw!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Melanie! How very exciting! Do you know yet how old your baby will be, or the gender? Regardless of age, the bonding thing will be important, so Alee's idea of a sling is a good one.

Keep us posted, what a wonderful state of excitement to be in!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile
I think that if you can you should consider purchasing a MayaWrap. They are tough and durable, wash beautifully and you can use it for literally years with your child. Here is a link to their website. http://www.mayawrap.com/ Other places and people sell wraps similar to this but beware of their durability. (No I do not sell these for a living either!)

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  11:30:25 AM  Show Profile
How blessed you are Melanie.
You and your husband will do just fine.
I see the Farm girls have given you such wonderful advice already. I agree with them all. Love comes naturally. You'll always have more than enough of that. Patience is a virtue. Congrats to you and your husband. What a lucky baby. Keep us posted.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  11:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations! SLEEP NOW!!!!!! Ha ha....ok, though, I have to agree-- find yourself some kind of baby carrier/ sling. After 5 babies, I came to LOVE the Ellaroo (http://www.ellaroo.com/wraparound-carrier.php ) because of it's comfort and versitility. You can wrap the baby on your hip, front (perfect for newborns that want to hear your heartbeat and voice) and on your back (great for cooking, cleaning, etc.).

I agree too, that newborns don't need much. Get some bottles and formula, and 10 or so onesies. Diapers, wipes, binkey (if you think you might need one) and some receiving blankets for swaddling. The rest can come as you discover you need it. This will at least get you started!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:01:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh ladies...I knew I could count on you all for great advice and great ideas. Our new bundle of joy is going to be brand new and we will be going to the hospital to see him arrive into this world. I have decided not to go into the delivery room with the mom as I would feel that she deserves to have the time with the baby by herself, (perhaps her mom is going in?) without me there.
Heather...thanks for that great list. Very helpful!! I bought a onsie the other day that says "Milk Conisour" (sp?) I thought that was sooooo cute as we are dairy farmers!!
Molly....that is funny that you mention the Ellaroo as I was at the Salvation Army thrift store the other day and I bought one of those...I swear it is brand new and it was only $1.00!! It didn't come with any instructions so I will check out the websire to see how it works!
Marly....i agree with you we are truly blessed
thanks for all of everyones tips and loving words...I will keep you all posted as the time gets closer. Thanks:)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  08:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie-

Did the mom offer to let you be in there for the birth? Does she have family? Just wondering because she might want the extra support.

I am so excited for you! I know you have been wanting a baby for a while. You are going to be an excellent mom!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Melanie! What an exciting time for you both!

One thing I did to prepare was to get some food made ahead for suppers! Getting up throughout the night does get tiring (but at least with only one child, you can lay down during the day when he does). If you get some casseroles, etc. ready ahead, you'll have good, home-cooked food that you can just pop in the oven.

Oh, I did not see a car seat on that list--don't forget about that! The hospital won't let you take the baby home without one.

Hugs,
Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

CarharttQueen
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Miriam
Soldier's Meadow Idaho
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  12:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations! It is so exciting that you're going to adopt a baby! My first baby is 7 months old now, and here's a few items I would really recommend you consider. I try to keep things simple (not a lot of "gear" and toys, etc.). But there's a few things that can really help!

1. First-year baby calender. You may decide to do a scrapbook also, but a calender is so nice to just jot things down quickly (first smile, sitting up, talking, games, etc.). A friend gave me one from Hallmark. Then you have all the info when you have time to do a scrapbook!

2. Boppy pillow. If you haven't seen one, these are a C-shaped pillow that can wrap around your waist to support the baby while you're feeding him. It's so nice on your back! And when baby starts to play on the floor, it's great to help them lift their head/chest up and WONDERFUL when they're trying to sit up!!! (No more clunking over on the ground!). I wish I had got one of these sooner. I think you can find them at Walmart.

3. Robeez shoes. Yes, they are expensive for baby footwear, but I think they're worth it! Once baby is old enough to play on the floor, these soft leather shoes are so comfy, protective, and best of all, STAY ON! And one pair should fit for 6+ months. (My 7 month old still fits size 0-6mo.)

4. A swing or something similar. Although my baby wasn't very thrilled with swinging, it was a lifesaver to have a place to safely put her while I worked on things. I set the swing between my kitchen and living room so she could be close by while I cooked, cleaned up, etc.

5. Scissor-type baby nail clippers. These are SO much easier than regular clippers! I love them.

And for clothes, I used mostly one-piece sleepers. My baby was "warm" and didn't need a lot of layers, but I sure went through sleepers!

Hope this helps--and have fun getting ready!

Miriam
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  12:53:01 PM  Show Profile
I will add that babies grow very fast and so many make the mistake of buying lots of very small sizes. Those little newborn and size 3 months only last a minute. Tight clothes on a baby never looks comfy. You will be fine and so will new baby. CONGRATS.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Alee..you mentioned being in the delivery room for the birth....I didn't ask as I don't really want to be there. I feel ( and this is just my feelings) that the birth mom should have the time to herself and with her mom to say goodbye to the baby...i will have him for the rest of his life, so I wanted her to have some alone time.
I did buy a car seat brand new from a big department store for only $35.00 (regular $129.00)!! and a crib at the same store for only $65.00 (regular $399.00)!! What a steal!!
Lori....funny you should mention making this ahead of time. Today I made my mustard pickles, I usually wait until the end of August, but thought I'd be busy with other things then. Also, I made 4 small lasagnas, 2 tuna casseroles and some apple crisps to pop in the freezer. My next day off, I will make some soups and chili. I just ordered a bunch of products from Mary Janes store ...bakeovers, scone mixes, beans and much more. It will be like Christmas when that box comes.

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Miriam....WOW you sure have some great tips...love the calendar one, I'll use that for sure. Also, I have seen those little Robies and have heard that they are good. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  6:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie-

Can I ask- Is it going to be an open adoption (where you send updates and pictures once a year) or a closed adoption?

I have a friend, actually if the other post about my friend who's husband got run over by the tractor, who adopted a baby girl as a newborn. They have a semi open adoption. The daughter knows she is adopted but not who her birth mother is. The birth mother has visited her several times but just under the guise of a family friend.

Also be prepared for some sadness for the birth mother when you pick up your baby for the first time. My friend said she collapsed onto the floor crying over her new daughter because she was so sad for the birth mom. She even offered to let the birth mom change her mind even though they wanted their adopted daughter very much. My friend said the level of sadness for the other woman surprised her. Just wanted to let you know because my friend was unprepared for it, so if it does happen to you- it is natural!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your adoption. Everyone has given you wonderful options for things that you might want to have on hand as you welcome your new baby. My number one pick is the sling. I loved my Maya Wrap. Also having as much food on hand as possible is a good idea. Maybe one of your friends would like to give you a food shower where everyone brings something for the fridge.

One thing no one mentioned that you may or may not be interested in is breastfeeding. Some adoptive mothers breastfeed by inducing lactation and sometimes using a supplemental nursing system. Many women are not even aware that this is possible. If this is something you would be interested in finding more about, you could contact a La Leche League Leader who would be able to put you in touch with other adoptive mothers who have breastfed. You can find a local Leader by going to www.lalecheleague.org

Best wishes to you as your family grows.

Farmgirl Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile
thanks des...my doctor is great and actually brought it up....after much thought and prayer...i have decided not to.
As for food....I have been busy cooking a lot and putting things in the freezer. Our apple trees are producing a lot of apples so i have been making apple sauce like crazy...love it :)

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic how do you prepare for a baby? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page