Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Is your bedroom a safe haven?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Is your bedroom a safe haven? Next Topic  

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  05:56:13 AM  Show Profile
I love my home. Every room gives me a different feeling and fulfills a different need. The kitchen is the heart of my home, but my bedroom is the place where, at the end of the day or if I need extra comfort and peace, I go there. The walls are a robin's egg blue with a white ceiling and woodwork trim. The windows have soft, sheer white curtains that make the room dreamy. The bed sits in the middle of the room, diagonally and is the star. It has a down feather bed on it, with white shabby chic linens on it. I have paintings, drawings and photographs that I have done on the walls. My birds reside here as well. They add music and a loving energy to the room,, along with my two little yorkies that snuggle with me. This is where I knit, read, and meditate. I have a large vanity that is brushed stainless steel with a green glass top, that holds all my lotions and potions. My bedroom is also my spa. It smells of Aveda-like aromatherapy, where I can give myself a facial, or a pedicure, or soothe and condition any part of my body. I have found that, when I have been in crisis in my life, my bedroom has always been the safe haven to hide in. It has given me peace and comfort, and a sense of safety. I have found that it is the one room that clients can ignore. They will focus on the livingroom or kitchen, and then just deal with the bedroom for its most basic functions....a bed, a tv, a nightstand....I have found that, by focusing on the bedroom, it gives a person a new retreat that they never thought of and changes their psyche and lifestyle all at once. A cozy bedroom gives a person extra ammunition to deal with the stress in their lives. What is your bedroom like and how do you feel about it?

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile
My bedroom has been my haven since I was a child. Where ever I live my heart is in my bedroom. I live alone so my entire home is quite ( a different story when the kids and grandkids arrive) I entertain friends and family often so the home is enjoyed by myself and my special people.

Today my bedroom is a taupe (My decorator friend helped me choose the color. My partner was dying of prostrate cancer and in the mist of this I bought a home.--therefore, being overwhelmed, I called her and told her what I wanted and her insturction were, "Go to the grocery store and get a brown paper bag. Go to your paint store and have them mix 3 shades of the BPG. ") I did that and choose the medium shade. I love it. The trim is white and I have several shades of this color in my bedroom. I have a medium green (sage) coverlet with different shade of pillows... I have silk pillows on the bed in Brillant green, green with tourquise, stripped green with gold and red...The windows are not colvered...I have wooden blinds that I leave open as much as I can.

The next step: I am on go for a "re-do" My decorator friend had a pastel linen piece that I loved --the colors are: Pale: aqua, yellow, brown, off white, pink. I have loved that peice forever so we had it made up for a coverlette for my bed. The pillows are linen in mulitple colors: prints, stripes, plaids from the coverlet..... The bedshirt is in aqua and brown. The walls will be the palest of aqua and I have not decided on the trim.

I am not good at describing decoration of my home...I do much better with nature and personal feeling. I am blessed to have my friend's talent and I trust her suggestions. I have a strong opinion of what I want and since we have been best firends since the 3rd grade she knows my taste. Even though I live alone I do not have a fru-fru home. My male shadow is strong and I was a tomboy on a farm, so I do not do well with fluff in my personal space.

The pastel linen coverlet is a different avenue for me. I think I will enjoy the peacefulness of the colors .

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  07:02:52 AM  Show Profile
I would love to see pictures of each of your rooms. I love your descriptions and they sound beautiful. I'm getting ready to work on my room, not for me but for sale. I've been thinking I should paint it a neutral cream color for broad appeal, but I've been oh so tempted to paint it a pale soft greenish blue, not unlike what you two have described. I WISH I could angle my bed, but alas it doesn't have a headboard and needs the wall to hold the pillows on it. It's been hard to find a California King size headboard, that I like, that doesn't cost very much. The other problem is that my room is small-ish. It is an upper half-story, which means the ceiling is low and slants down the sides. I want it to look cozy, but not cramped.
Have FUN with your re-do, Linda.

Nancy

http://quiltedprairie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  07:13:45 AM  Show Profile
my bedroom is where I stash all the junk I haven't had time to deal with lately.. it sure is funny how ones home so completly reflects the state of mind of the people living there... and mine is proclaiming loudly that I need to get my act together!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  08:07:27 AM  Show Profile
Right now our bedroom is not the final room for us, it will eventually be our guestroom (we are remodeling - seems like forever). So I kinda decorated the room for that purpose, but keeping in mind which direction the room faced to the light, this one is North facing so the room is cool throughout the year. I painted the walls Pale apple green, with a pale yellow trim for the doors, windows and baseboards. Then I did a splatter treatment on the walls of the yellow and a brownish gold (very small splatter dots that you can't really see until you're near the wall). Our bed was built by my father from a picture in the magazine. I stained it a dark, slightly reddish walnut. Our floor is a refinished fir, old and dinged, but warm in color. We have two small wooden bedside tables, with 1930's style wall mounted lamps over each. Each lamp has a creamy, I guess you would call it "Tulip style" shade, with a antique bronze base and arm. This bedroom is like Nancy's where the wall is on a slant due to the roofline. So on this wall, above our bed, I painted a dragonfly (actual size) to one side. By one side of the windows I painted a grasshopper jumping over a purple flower. We have little checkered chair by the window so you can look out with a small hook rug with two bunnies on it. It is always cheery in this room and it feels warm even with the cool Northern exposure. I love to sit up there and look down and watch people walk by.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  09:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Funny, I was just lying in bed, admiring my bedroom and for some reason began planning how to capture it's tranquility in a photograph. I was thinking about other Farmgirls homes, and what they might feel like inside etc. Then I came to my computer and found this post. I love it when that happens! I'll have to make that part of my projects this weekend. ~J
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile
My bedroom is dominated by a king size four poster(the posts almost hit the ceiling) Indian/British colonial style. We purchased it 3 years ago. DH wanted a king size ( he is 6'31/2") and always sleeps on king size when traveling. We had a queen for years. I ended up shoved to one small space on the edge of the bed. Now I feel lost in the King! I have old cream colored small flowered wall paper that is peeling. But...I like it! We also have a stucco and old barn wood fireplace. It looks old and kind of French country I guess. I have a handmade mosaic crucifix above the bed, and pics of the girls as babes and tots and our wedding pic sitting aound on the dresser and nightstand. I like old white linens and have old antique pillow shams and a white matealesse coverlet on the bed. Nothing fancy, very simple and restfull.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  10:30:27 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I have two ideas that immediately come to mind about your headboard solution. The first is one that requires a little handiwork or can be found in country-style stores. It is a headboard made from twigs. I found one in a local store years ago, and used it as a headboard along with a basic metal bed frame. I had it until I eventually purchased a wooden bed after remodeling. It was then given to a friend. It worked really well because it gave the bed a light, airy effect and was easy to attach to the back of the bed (it was economical too). The second idea is a folding screen. Screens can come in many different heights so that you don't have to worry about the height of the ceiling. They also come in an array of designs. A plus is that you can put something you want to hide on the other side of it (like perhaps work-out equipment). You can make a screen by using wooden shutters (a set of two side by side) and that can look wonderful, especially if they are old. You can get a screen that is a frame with fabric in it and hang pictures on it. There are endless possibilities. So if you want to put your bed in the center of the room, maybe one of these ideas might work for you.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  07:23:27 AM  Show Profile
My bedroom is definately my safe haven! Farm girl red gingham sheets and a blue plaid bedspread and coordinating floral pillows.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile
i love our bedroom .. NO TV!!!! just for snuggling and reading .. and we have made a promise to each other .. that if one of us reading and wants to stay up later .. and the other would like the lights out to fall asleep. we kiss the 'sleeper' goodnight .. and take our books somewhere else comfy to read until our eyelids close.

it's decorated more 'simply' than most of the house ..
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  8:48:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Whimsy_girl

my bedroom is where I stash all the junk I haven't had time to deal with lately.. it sure is funny how ones home so completly reflects the state of mind of the people living there... and mine is proclaiming loudly that I need to get my act together!

Oh, you have just described me to a tee. We have a big lack of storage here and our basement is not a good place to store things so everything gets dumped in my room. I don't like it but that's how it is right now.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  05:54:49 AM  Show Profile
My bedroom is my safe haven too. It's the only room the kids aren't allowed in!!! And I have all boys so I need a room that is 'girls only'. Well except for dh.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

gothique
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Susan
Norman OK
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  10:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Send gothique a Yahoo! Message
My whole house is a work in progress! I've been suffering from "too much stuff" and have been paring down, but there is still much to do! I am successful if I have done some tidying and as a result more of the floor is visible.

The only thing worse than white walls is blinding white tile on the kitchen floor. This house I bought and the rental one before this both had solid bright white vinyl tile. Who picks that color out? Men, no doubt! It's not like THEY are ever going to mop it. At least my ex never did!

My bedroom would be an awesome retreat if I ever got it looking the way I want. I have an iron and brass bed from the 1880s in there and a huge old copper and brass lamp from India with the glass panels on the sides and all the puncturing that puts a pattern on the ceiling when it's lit. No TV, EVER! And a sort of "harem" motif (weavings, rugs, tapestries, veils).
Susan

"Take care of the luxuries, and the necessities will take care of themselves."
-- Oscar Wilde

Edited by - gothique on Nov 14 2005 10:21:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  3:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Susan .. your ideas for your personal retreat sound great and you are off to a fabulous start with your iron and brass bed and copper/brass lamp that shines stars on the ceiling! The 'harem' look surely is a sexy one!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

gothique
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Susan
Norman OK
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2005 :  10:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Send gothique a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Frannie! It's nice to be encouraged! I might get a chance to work in there some more this week... we're supposed to get some cold weather for the next few days. Winter is finally here in Oklahoma... but next week it'll probably be back up in the sixties. It never stays one way or the other for very long, so you never get used to the climate.

"Take care of the luxuries, and the necessities will take care of themselves."
-- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2005 :  05:26:40 AM  Show Profile
This is funny, I was just thinking I should post a picture of my bedroom in the "let's do makeovers" forum because it still has the wall paper from the 30's and the worn painted green pine board floors. If the paper wasn't so dirty and peeling I'd keep it as it's back in style! Our ceiling is cracking, and I'm pretty sure there's not much insulation left in the walls.

ummmm....as I'm writing this, I almost can't believe we sleep there! (but it's very cozy!)(really!)

Diane...your room sounds dreamy! I'm happily jealous for you! LOL

Just a Maine Girl
http://sweetpeas.motime.com ~journal
http://sweetpeasme.motime.com ~collective souls....a journal's journey
Go to Top of Page

Kay in Kentucky
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Kay
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  5:09:04 PM  Show Profile
My bedroom for now is In a holding pattern till I get settled. I have half of my stuff in Virginia and half in Kentucky. My clothes are just hung where ever. Once permenently moved I will figure out what to do with it. Now the bedroom is painted blue; not my favorite color for a bedroom. I also have some trim work that needs to be done so the to-do list gets longer.

My blog;
http://oakspringfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kay in Kentucky
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Kay
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  5:24:07 PM  Show Profile

A lot of work to get this to look like a bedroom

My blog;
Go to Top of Page

Kay in Kentucky
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Kay
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  5:27:36 PM  Show Profile

Wow I got the photo thingy to work yeaaa :)

My blog;
Go to Top of Page

twigs
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

tiffany
lacie ky
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  08:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Send twigs an AOL message
well my bedroom is my safe haven for sure.....it is where i do most all of my designing and reading and heck even the kids pile in my bed every night.......i grew up in a home where my parents bedroom was the last place we all piled in at night and talked and watched tv and giggled and laughed about our days.....and i suppose i am my mother made over in that area....and when i was on bedrest pregnant it came in handy too......
my bedroom is painted in a tan color with burgundy baseboard and fireplace....and black furniture....and a pencil post bed and i love it....very warm and welcoming with quilts adorned everywhere....
twigs

May you be surrounded by the things of olde that make you feel like a treasure!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Is your bedroom a safe haven? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page