Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Children of the Night...Shut Up!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Children of the Night...Shut Up!!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  06:47:22 AM  Show Profile
I love to sleep with my window cracked open, even on the coldest winter night. I may have to rethink this...the dang coyotes serenade me all night! It's like they know the moment I hit the bed. That shrill loud yelping and yiping drives me crazy...and one can sound like fifty! We are overrun with coyotes. It is not a charming country amenity for this farmgirl...any of you get freaked out by coyotes?

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  07:14:22 AM  Show Profile
When we work with the chickens at night they seem to like coming up to the edge of the woods and yip and yap.Hubby says they won't come closer but it makes me nervous.The other night we hiked out to hubby's tree stand to check it before hunting season started.I kept hearing movement but they never came close.Thank God for that.Once they surrounded hubby in the tree stand wanting to get him and all he had with him was his bow.After a while they tired and moved on but still the thought is always in the back of my mind when we are out in the woods at night.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  1:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Jenny, I love your topic name!You crack me up!! Just run a fan in your room, you will eventually train your ear to hear that and not the outside noises.That's what I have had to do, I love to sleep in a chilly room with the window open and snuggled under a down comforter.
At least your night sounds are more poetic sounding than ours...our noises are just Rednecks and their outside dogs!!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  4:39:39 PM  Show Profile
I'd rather deal with a bear or moose than a coyote. We don't have a problem with them now but did for years. They're usually skittish but when they're hungry they're bold. A pack kept my daughter and I in the barn for 30 minutes one winter night. Another night one stood between the barn and the house and wouldn't run off so that I could get to the house.

A man in town went to work in the woods one morning and found a pack feeding on a buck they'd taken down during the night. He's a trapper so he set traps near the carcass before he went home at the end of the day. One coy was trapped. The others killed and ate it. I'm an animal lover - but not for coyotes.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Robin, Your story reminded me of an encounter I had with coyotes 20 years ago. It was a bitter cold snowy day and in the early morning I walked out to get some logs for our furnace, turned around with logs in hands and there were 4 coyotes growling at me. I screamed bloody murder at them and heaved logs at them and they ran off. I have no use for them.

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  7:45:41 PM  Show Profile
So here I am in the middle of a city and fortunately have open space nearby. We have coyotes and I love the sound. They don't serenade all night - just seems to be periodic. Maybe they roam around so are not always within earshot. I too, like to sleep with my window open. I guess the coyotes sound better than my snoring husband!!

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  04:53:12 AM  Show Profile
It was so peaceful last night when I went to bed! Not one yipe of a coyote. I slept very sound. Sometimes on cold snowy nights when the moon is bright I can see them running in packs across the fields near our house making their ungodly noises. I feel like I am in the Urals. It is such a wierd, lonely sound and scarey too.

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  05:02:02 AM  Show Profile

ooohh, you just gave me a shiver.
Do they ever bother your cattle?
We were told that they occaisonally take sheep down around here, but I am sure the population is much more sparse.
I did hear that they were making a strong comeback in parts of rural NJ.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
www.farmatcoventry.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  07:51:14 AM  Show Profile
How about earplugs? It dulls my husband's snoring sufficiently that I can sleep.

Tania
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  09:30:10 AM  Show Profile
We have seen a few eyeballing our friends chickens but that has been a rare sighting. I have heard the same that they are making a comeback. The bobcat's are what give me the shivers because they just lurk unseen until they are ready to do something. Beautiful yes, creepy...absolutely!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  09:52:56 AM  Show Profile
Coyotes just creep me out!! I can hear them up in the woods behind our house at night. I haven't seen any but am very careful to make sure the cats are in before dark. And I don't go outside much after dark. I know that they will become more agressive as the fall and winter go on. Plus they aren't just limited to coming out at night. My friend has had her turkeys and chickens killed in the middle of the day!

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  10:35:25 AM  Show Profile
There's a story about a bobcat I had a run in on my website. My farmcollie came between us so that I could stand up and back off. It was the same winter we had so many run-ins with the coyotes. He was starving to death. We do see them in the middle of the day though, so they're not here just when they're hungry. They're the only animal out here in the woods that concerns me more than the coys.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  07:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Coyotes scare me..I dont like to hear them howling...I am always afraid they will get the goats~~
I also worry I could walk up on one (or more)and that would be scary~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  08:36:01 AM  Show Profile
We have lots of coyotes. The govt. here makes an effort to keep them under control. If the population gets too large they start taking newborn calves and lambs. We have only lost one calf that I know of to coyotes. That isn't bad in 35 years. I surprised a large male in our woodshed one evening, he couldn't get away fast enough. I have walked up on groups of them, and never felt threatened. Usually they just try to get away. I have never ever heard of coyotes attacking people, maybe if they were rabid, but a healthy coyote only wants to stay out of sight. Last winter I walked up on three coyotes harrassing two cows with baby calves. My dog chased them just over the fence, about 300 yards. The coyotes then sat down in a patch of buckbrush, and yapped at me, I had never had that happen before. I moved the cows farthur down the hill, and everything was alright. I honestly like to hear them talking to each other at night, although I know when they are barking in a frenzy, that they are killing something. But, they have to eat too, and when their population is stable, they eat lots of rodents. Once when my husband was baling hay in our far field, a young coyote followed along behind the baler catching the mice from under the windrows. It was kind of neat. Now wolves---that is another story.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Rainbow
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

brenda
Schomberg Ontario
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  2:18:15 PM  Show Profile
absolutely!They sound so sad and lonely.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  11:51:25 AM  Show Profile
The children of the night (coyotes) have been really quiet the last few nights...maybe the bright moonlight sends them into hiding.

Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  11:51:03 PM  Show Profile
The sounds of the coyotes sends shivers up my spine and I just hate waking to their frenzied howls and screams in the middle of the night. Eek! They seem to come and go in this area, will be around for nights at a time and then nothing for quite awhile again. Maybe they do follow the moon cycles, I don't know but their cries are down right creepy to me.

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  9:09:55 PM  Show Profile
I've always loved the coyotes. I once came on a single coyote while walking in the woods. It was wonderful. We just looked at eachother for a while and then as she ran away I remembered I had a camera in my hand. Just as well. The memory is probably better than any picture I would have gotten out of it.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  09:13:11 AM  Show Profile
Night before last, with the moon shining bright, the coyotes decided to try to take the elk legs away from our dog. Abbey rarely barks at coyotes, preferring to lay on the porch and listen to them, that night, she chased them around the house about 3 times. It worries me when she chases them, so I got up. I opened the door, just in time to see two of them, with Abbey right behind, run out of the yard. With me yelling, the coyotes decided to leave, and Abbey chased them maybe 100 yards, then came back to the porch all proud of herself, for protecting her home, her elk legs and her mistress from coyotes.

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  11:46:26 PM  Show Profile
OH MY, I hate the sould of coyotes, they are so eerieeeee.
Kennie Lyn, you are brave opening the door. I know they will run from ya,( I just feel safe and happy in my house hehe) I used to chase them from our pastures, but its night and the sounds give me chills to..
shirley in OLy
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  09:32:58 AM  Show Profile
I've never been afraid of them, they are way more afraid of me, besides Abbey wouldn't let them get me. Our grandson is afraid of the dark and wants us to shut the front door at night, we usually just leave the screen door shut at night in the summer, I tell him that with Abbey sleeping on the porch nothing is coming thru that door.

Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  09:47:21 AM  Show Profile
im moving this messeage to thr correct area. sorry all.

Edited by - verbina on Nov 28 2005 5:03:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  08:18:02 AM  Show Profile
My IRL friend that lives a few miles out of town has a terrible coyote problem. It's gotten worse since their big golden lab got run over. They seem to come alot closer to the house. Her dh is a hunter and has shot a few that have come too close for comfort.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  07:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Kennie Lyn .. i so enjoyed your outlook on one of god's critters! i surely don't have the answers as to why poisonous snakes and harmful critters are here on this earth (or famine and disease and other ills of life) .. but they are here .. and i guess we humans will just have to learn to adapt (whatever they may mean for each of us personally and individually) .. but i surely did get a smile at reading your ideas of them! thanks for sharing! Frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  10:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Frannie, If anything I am guilty of taking all the wildlife around me for granted. Our place has lots of cover and is surrounded on 3 sides with public land, so we see lots of critters. I am more than willing to share with them, but that might not be the case if they were eating us out of house and home. Some people here have real problems with deer and elk. It doesn't take long for 150 head of elk to destroy a haystack. They also come down into corn fields and ruin them. We put our hay in a barn, and have had no trouble. A friend from California always asks what wildlife I have seen, and gets excited when I say quail and coyotes, which with deer, I see nearly every day. Now, I get excited when I see bobcats, cougars, and bears. If I had chickens I am sure I wouldn't be so accepting of coyotes, but as it is, I am fine with them being around. A protective dog helps in keeping the coyotes at bay. Deer and sometimes bears come into our orchard to eat fallen apples, and most of our dogs have had sense enough to lay on the porch and ignore them. The beekeepers didn't like having the bears around, so the fish and game trapped and moved them a couple of times, but I kind of like the idea of living in a place where black bears live, as long as they aren't into our garbage. That is one thing I have always been careful about. We have no outside garbage cans. They just bring mice and snakes and stuff I don't want in my yard, bears too I would imagine. I enjoy seeing eagles, even tho I have friends who hate them. They lost a little dog to a bald eagle, but that is the price you pay for living on the edge of civilization. It is a price I will gladly pay.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  10:45:51 AM  Show Profile
Try going out and seeing your daughter's mother cat and kittens eaten by a coyote...a newborn baby calf carried off by coyotes, chickens, geese ripped apart by coyotes...AND actually being confronted by a pack of snarling coyotes...if one has to deal with them on a farm and their killing and menace they maybe God's own critters but I am going to protect my farm, "chilin", my livestock and myself! If I want to enjoy and gaze at a dangerous critter I'll go to a zoo...bobcats are terrible here too.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Children of the Night...Shut Up!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page