Page: of 2

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I have a strange question. How do ya'll keep your grocery bills down? I spend some serious money at the grocery store and it's ridiculous. We are really trying to save money as much as we can for a couple reasons. My dog has to have surgery asap, Christmas is coming, and I just want to have a decent savings account. After we pay all our bills of course we don't have a lot of money (like anyone does ) but the money we do have seems like it all goes to the grocery store. I don't buy a lot of snack items maybe 1-2 boxes of crackers for my little ones but stay away from chips, cookies, etc. for the most part. For instance, I went to the store last week and didn't even buy any meat. I only bought veggies, milk, yogurt, bread, cheese, etc and my bill was almost $160.00!!! Now to some that may not be a lot but without buying any meat and then today having to be right back at the store I think is absurd. Today I did buy meat but I spent another $150.00. That's not even including the small trips I make to grab just butter, or another thing of milk, or a loaf of bread. I personally think spending $6-700.00 a month on groceries is absurd, so I'm looking for tips how I can reduce that bill. Any ideas??

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  7:07:18 PM  Show Profile
I am sure not an authority..but I am neurotic if that helps!! I am so unorganized about so many things I feel guilty..but this is ONE area that I am extremely organized about!! I tend to spend about $450 a month at the grocery store for our family of 6..(2 adults, one 11 year old girl and one small 9 year old girl and two heavy eating boys..one 9 and one almost 9)
This includes dog and cat food, cleaning supplies and paper stuff..which I don't buy much of. I only go "big" shopping every two weeks..and only on Fridays since that is double coupon day at a grocery store in the next town. I have a "master list" of stuff we use and use it as a check list when I get ready to go to the store. That helps me not forget things..since if you end up back at the store you end up spending so much more. The more I can avoid the store the more money I save. I do go to the store at least once more each week with $10 cash and get fresh fruit and bread (if I havn't been able to bake) and milk if the goats are dry (soon to be the cow!!!!) Everything else I try to have on hand for two weeks.
I really try hard to keep things simple. If the kids tell me that all we have are ingredients and no food I know I did a good job. I do keep crackers and sometimes plain animal cookies on hand. I buy them only if they are on sale and I have a coupon though.
I do keep that extra money back in my "run to the store fund" in the kitchen. I do best if I send my husband to the store if it is one item I need..he dosn't have the compulsion to see the whole store..he just gets what I send him for and is happy to get out of there. Cheese is a big expense for us, but I don't cut back..just stock up when its on sale. I don't shop in a real balanced way...like today I bought 12 cans of chili since they were on sale and are nice to have on hand, but didn't buy any chips at all. I have flour tortillas on hand in the freezer..from a sale a couple weeks ago and we will make our own chips tomorrow if we have time. The kids love that..and I know what is on them. (we bake them after spritzing them with a little olive oil and seasoning with garlic salt and maybe some chili powder and cumin. Today I stocked up on Chicken, since that was on sale, but last week it was pork and I have hamburger enough for awhile from another sale. Cereal is a hard one. I will buy 3 boxes or bags of cereal to last 2 weeks..BUT only if they are on sale or I have a coupon..preferably both. When we are out of cereal we have oatmeal..which I have buckets and buckets of stored, malt o meal or other hot cereal if I have that..scrambled eggs and toast or breakfast burritos or bagels if I have time to make them the night before..or muffins if I can't sleep and I am up early enough. I get only the Sunday paper (Salt Lake Paper..in our little town the paper comes out only weekly!) and just for the coupons (my husband likes to read the rest) and I really use the ones that I need and I toss the rest. I won't be tempted into buying new stuff or boxed mixes much..I have been known to buy cake or brownie mixes if they are on sale really cheap and I have a great coupon that will be doubled..but not very often. I buy our dog food in big bags at Walmart..since it is alot cheaper and always use a coupon. I won't buy the cheap brand..I get pedigree. Most things I am not brand picky about and if I can make it myself I try to. I think the main way to save is having a list..shopping alone..(I go at night) and staying away from the store in between when you can. If I have to go to the store and can't help it I take my CASH in with me and lock my purse in the car and go in with just the money and my keys so I can't spend more.
I make up a menu for the week on Sunday night and post it on the fridge. I am pretty good at sticking to it.
My biggest expenses that I can't seem to cut down on is fresh fruit we go through massive amounts of it! and cheese.
I hope my rambling gave you some help.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  7:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Kristi:
It isn't a strange question at all. First of all, $6-700 a month isn't bad, but second of all, there ARE ways to cut it down quite a bit. Years ago I subscribed to a newsletter called The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn (last name pronounced "decision"). It was a tremendous help to me in saving money, especially with food. She had a Universal Muffin recipe, a Universal Casserole recipe, a recipe for granola, and a recipe for Porcupine Meatballs that I used quite offen when my kids were growing up. But the thing that saved me the most was her idea of keeping a record of all the items I regularly bought at the grocery store. It was all kept in a little binder and I used it when shopping and when I studied the grocery ads. I got really good at KNOWing when a price was a good buy. And the coolest thing (to me) was find out the pattern of how stores rotated their sales. For example, I would know that for cheese the cycle was four weeks and so when the good sale came, I would buy enough cheese for four weeks, when it would go on sale again.
Amy's ideas always required a bit of work . . . but the payoff was great. She would sometimes figure out her savings, and then divide it by the time it took, to give herself an idea how much she was earning for the effort. She was a queen of recyling, she even washed plastic baggies and foil . . . but she was incredibly efficient and was able to accomplish managing money so well for her family that they were able to buy their dream home . . . "a farm house, with attached barn" while raising 6 kids, with only one average income. She stopped publishing the newsletter when she felt she had imparted all the wisdom she had, besides she wanted to "just be a mom". But, you can buy all the newsletters compiled in a book called, The Complete Tightwad Gazzette. If nothing else, she is inspiring and her story is pretty amazing too.
Nancy

http://quiltedprairie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  7:32:58 PM  Show Profile
This is what I do to keep my grocery bill down.
I order most of my food from a local co-op; the prices seemed a little higher at first. But you get organic or almost organic foods. I actully spend less now than I did before the co-op. I think this is largely due to me not making all those trips to the store and buying staples (flour, sugar, and noodles) in bulk. I also make 1 monthly trip to the local meat shop to get meat.
When I do go to a local store I go to our Save-a-lot I can get most things at a better price than Super-Walmart (one of the 3 other shopping choices) I only go to Walmart 2 times a month verse the 2-3 a week that I used to. I would really like to not go there at all, but have not managed that yet. I also always buy storebrand vs. namebrands.

This does take a little planning the co-op orders every 2 weeks.
So I have to plan and know what I need, but that also saves money. When my budget was very tight and I had to feed 2 on $25 a week. I planned specific menus for each day and made my shopping list from that. It is possible.

I buy very few convience foods. Example I can make my own hamburger helpers cheaper than the box, plus they are much healthier, fewer preservatives and less salt. I also make my own cream soups. I have some recipes, i'll gather up and post.
I also use powdered milk for all my cooking. But not to drink, I think it tastes wierd.

Try cutting down on big meat dishes, use pasta, rice or beans more.
Falltime, we eat lots of soups, baked potatoes, and grilled cheese.
If you drink sodas or lots of juice, try cutting that down. You can water the juice down to make it go further. At one time I drank $10 worth of soda a week, that was $40 a month :0

I am not sure if you are counting cleaning & paper goods in your grocery bill or not.
But this is another place you can save tons. I use vinegar/water with essential oil added to clean most things. I also reduced our paper towel and napkin use. We use cloth napkins instead of paper. We have one roll of paper towel a month. When it is gone it is gone!!

Sometimes it is hard. When it is 8 at night and you really want a cookie and there are none. You either bake or do with out!!
If you do with out you just save the calories!! If you bake you burn them up stirring!!

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  8:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. Some of the tips you provided I try to do, such as watering down juice for my kids. I've done that since they were little and it just stuck, we don't buy sodas-ever. We do eat a lot of pasta and rice which is cheap and we use cloth napkins a lot more now than we used to. Paper towels I use a lot of still but I'm trying to cut back as much as I can. I NEVER use them for cleaning anymore--it's always a flour sack towel. One problem I have is my brother lives with us and he and DH are HUGE meat eaters. The kids and I are fine without it for most meals but the men freak if there is no meat, other than my eggplant parmagiana. That's something I need to work on and try to find meatless dishes they will eat. Beans are completely out of the question as I'm the only one that eats them. I'm not a good coupon shopper at all, I will try to do that more. I've thought about taking cash only to the store but I'm scared I'll get to the register and not have enough money--stupid I know but it's embarrassing to hold up the line or have them take things off my bill. See I still think that $6-700.00 a month on groceries is a lot, especially when my brother works 24 hr shifts and eats out on working days and my DH works on the railroad so he's out of town a lot and eats out when he stays the night. When he doesn't stay overnight he eats at home but with them eating out and several nights it's just me and the kids, that's a lot of money to spend. I'll try some of the tips you provided and others are gladly welcomed!!! Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  8:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristi, Bridge is offering Amy's Tightwad Books free for postage. If you act quick, you can get them. They're chock full of ideas. It sounds to me as if you need to sit down and write down everything you spend on food for a week and what you buy. Be anal. Then analyze what you've written and you'll see where your money goes. You're right, with the men eating out a lot, you are spending too much. Does your brother help with the food bill? Anyway, try this and see what happens. Good luck!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  10:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Are you talking about Bridge here that has the book? If so I'll email her right away for the book. Your right I do need to sit down and make a list. Yes my brother does help some, he pays us $300.00/month but that's to help with food and utilities. He was in a hard way with money for a while and moved to Texas to get caught up and try to save money. I know it's another mouth to feed for us but he's family and he would do the same for us if roles were reversed. Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  07:24:40 AM  Show Profile
Kristi,
Another Texan here, spending a lot on groceries - I've gone from $650 or so per month to closer to $800. We are a family of five and I'm the only female. Plus, I cook for another family, a couple of meals a week, and I LOVE to cook - so I think that's why my bill is so high. Each week, I make a menu and list what I need for those meals, plus regular items you have to get every week. It's very organized, it's just expensive. I'm also a stickler for quality, as I want my family to have the healthiest food possible. Thankfully, my husband doesn't complain about the cost, as he appreciates the meals I provide and knows it's my hobby. I figure its a hobby everyone benefits from. I love Tightwad Gazette books - have them all and have read them for years. I used to see Amy D. on the old Phil Donahue show in the 80's. Must admit I don't use many of her tricks, but if we fall on hard times, I'll know where to look for ideas. I do cringe each week as my total is added up. I just don't think I can do much to reduce it, short of changing our eating habits drastically. Since my desire to cook great meals is greater than my desire to save money on groceries, it won't change...
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  07:50:01 AM  Show Profile
I think one of the best things you can do is plan ahead. I look for the store that brings me the best overall prices for the things I use, because nowadays, running to three stores for the best deal is not always the best savings.

I usually try to make two weeks worth of dinner menus. We usually eat the same things for breakfast and lunch so I don't have to plan it too much.

I shop for two weeks of everything except maybe the fresh stuff like fruits and vegies and some dairy which I only get one week of. Then when I go back for that one week filler trip, I really try not to impulse buy. I am there for a purpose!!

When I was first married, I used to shop for a whole month at a time. Now it is a bit harder, because I don't have the freezer space to do it. I found though I saved tons!! Even two weeks is better than going every few days.

Hope this helps. By the way for our family of 5 (two teens and a 10 y/o) I spend about $600-750/month. I think if you live in a smaller town, though your shopping choices may be fewer and you may have to pay higher prices. I have lots of different choices in Boise. The place I go to is a bag your own place and I save around 1/3 less than the local supermarket. And a warning: Do your detective work about places like Costco or Sam's. Their prices aren't always better there and I tend to impulse buy more there because it may not be there again next time. When you impulse buy like that it can cost you alot.

Tania in Boise
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  08:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Kristi, you've gotten some good tips from everyone here. I'll just add a few that have helped me feed my family of six (teens and adults), and I do child care and feed 6 to 8 children breakfast, two snacks and lunch each day. I have a wedding to plan and one in college with another going into college next year. We've had two in college for the past couple of years so we're getting a bit of a break with only one this year ---- but I guess the wedding evens that out! The one place I feel I can always work with is my food budget. The Tightwad Gazette books are great...definitely get them. A few of the things are outdated but it definitely gives inspiration. Another book I would recommend you get (at the library) is the Miserly Moms book - that also had a few good tips. One thing that I do is have soup night once a week - usually Sunday. You can make a vegetable soup or even put hamburger in it, make a loaf of homemade bread and I guarantee your hubby and brother will be just as happy. Buy hamburger on sale and make meatballs and meatloaf ahead of time - extend that meat by using saltines, bread, etc. in the mix. Buy canned foods, etc. that are not name brands also helps. Keep a price book - can't stress this enough. This will tell you when something is really a good price. Will your family eat casseroles? I have a few recipes that use some meat but the main ingredients are rice or pasta. Doing things like when you make chicken - roast the chicken, take most of the meat off for one dinner (your meat eaters favorite) then use the bones and bits of meat to make stock. Add lots of vegetables, some noodles for a soup the next day for lunch. Buy a roast on sale, eat one night and then use what is left for another meal (or as many as you can). Maybe put the meat in some bbq sauce - bake some potatoes and have stuffed potatoes. Bake if you can - I always have something for my family to grab - they never feel deprived because there are usually cookies, brownies, etc., just something available. Make muffins - you can make a master mix and put in different things...apples, blueberries, etc. Cooking and planning take some work - and trust me...I feel like I spend my life in the kitchen. But it also feels good when I can make my dollars stretch and stretch.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it's "our" Bridge. Check the Active and All Forums for the thread about giving books away. I hope she still has them. If not, check out half.com. The books are old enough for them to have them cheap. Good luck!

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  10:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Patricia!!! Julia I do some of the tips you suggested like roasting my own chicken and then using the bones for stock. We also make roasts and then use the left overs for BBQ beef sandwiches. I'll keep working on it and thanks for the tips.

Edited by - lonestargal on Oct 22 2005 11:00:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I would love to have $600 a month spend on groceries! I feed a family of 3 on $300 a month and that has just recently been raised. It was $200 a month. Although I will admit it is very tough. I don't make menus, which I should. I just watch the weekly food ads that come out on Tuesday and look for the meat sales. When chicken is 69 cents a pound I stock up on chicken, when it's hamburger I stock up on that, etc. And while I'm at that store I shop the loss leaders that they have really cheap and only buy that. Then I do the rest of my shopping at WINCO (Cub Foods to you folks in the East). Since I've been making my own cleaning products, soap, etc that has really helped to cut down on the grocery bill. Toiletries are expensive. I also stopped buying pop and we only drink juice, coffee, tea, or water. It's better for us anyway. I don't clip coupons because when I did I would always forget to take them to the store and then I had a whole file full of expired coupons. When I buy cereal I buy the big bags of Malt-O-Meal on special at WINCO for $1.98 a bag. I stock up when it is on special. Next year I will be spending less because I plan on putting in a big garden so that I will be able to can or freeze lots of stuff.

Another thing that helps is to make or find a whole pantry list of staples. That way if you always have stuff on hand to throw something together. This would be flour, sugar, salt, pasta, broth, tomato sauce, etc.

One last thing -- I shop at the bakery outlet when I am in the area and stock up on day old bread for my freezer. It is so much cheaper. But I plan on baking my own bread now so I won't have to go there.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  1:33:54 PM  Show Profile
You gals are good shoppers and smart meal planners! I think you are doing everything possible to cut costs. I just feed my hubby and I for the most part, and still spend way too much per month. Many times I spend almost $500.00 but I often buy organic, or we have people over for dinner.... I also have my daughter and her family for a meal or two. And I buy wine in that budget line item!

For me and my hubby, my motto is this: Try to get two meals for every one that is cooked. When I make spaghetti sauce, it will go even farther. When we eat out, I take a box home and add to it and have another meal. We drink water instead of anything else. I buy lemons to put in it. We rarely eat beef. Food costs have gone thru the roof, and I love it when I can bring in peppers and tomatoes and broccoli and cauliflower from the garden.

I try to always remember that many countries have none of the bounty we have, and whatever the cost, we are blessed.

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  3:10:36 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

If you want to save a bundle on groceries, go to www.angelfoodministries.com. It is a great program and is available in 33 states. Texas is one of them. I am trying to stop eating meat so I have not ordered any of their boxes in a couple of months, but when I did participate the food/meat was excellent. You can get a box of food for $25. The retail value is $45-$60. They offer name brands. You can purchase as many boxes as you need. This program is open to all; no requirements in regard to income or religion even though it is Christian-based.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  3:21:09 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

One more comment on saving $$$$ which is pretty difficult in this economy. DON'T BUY YOUR BOOKS UNLESS YOU ARE POSITIVE THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP THEM FOR A VERY LONG TIME. Go to the public library and check out your materials---books, videos, cd's, dvds etc. In Texas, we also have an excellent Interlibrary Loan program, and materials can be ordered from libraries all over the worldat no charge in most cases. There is also a special free library card called Tex Share that can be issued from many of the libraries in the state. This enables a person to go to a university library or another community library and check materials out in person. Your tax dollars are paying for all of these services so I would use them and save lots of $$$$$$.

Amen--end of sermon. Sorry-did not mean to sound so preachy but as a librarian, I really believe in the value of libraries.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  3:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Here's what the USDA says about spending on groceries. http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/FoodPlans/Updates/foodsep05.pdf

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  5:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Soup, Soup, Soup! Freeze even tiny leftovers, then put them together to make great soups. Be creative, dust off your blender, and get a good recipe book. Even just using it as a starter course works, because even a small bowl of soup takes the edge off of the hunger. I have always considered getting meals on the table as being my JOB. I want to get the most for my money. The fewer trips I make to the store the less money I spend. Feeding you family can be great fun, when looked at as a challenge.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  5:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Kay, I just looked at the table from USDA. I live in a wonderful part of the country if that is the average cost of feeding a family.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Lazycreek
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Charlee
Mt Ida AR
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  7:39:18 PM  Show Profile
The only way I have been able to save on food is to buy on sale and buy to restock the pantry NOT to feed us that week. I buy certain things in bulk at Sam's when I get that way. Walmart is cheaper many times than even the other grocery stores on sale, so you have to know your prices. For example, orange juice is reg $1.99 at Kroger and many times on sale for $1.69, but it is $.99 at walmart and $.85 at sam's. I know that I use 19 cans of orange juice every 3 months. When cereal is on sale at Kroger for $2 a box, I buy a case. Recently, Kroger had bone in chicken breasts for $.99 lb and I bought 10 family sized packages and repacked them at home. When pork loin is on sale for $1.59 lb and you have to cut it yourself, I buy about 4 of them and that makes about 30 packages of 1 inch thick pork loin butterfly porkchops. I also buy from Emergency Essentials large cans of dehydrated milk and veggies and fruit when they have a sale and it is much cheaper than any canned stuff I can buy at the store. I use the milk for cooking. I buy to restock the pantry and plan menus around what I have on hand. Still prices are up this year about 25% and I don't think it will get any better.

Charlee

Believe in the power of your dreams
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  10:12:22 PM  Show Profile
We spend 700.00-800.00 a month for a family of five, but one of them are only with us two weekends a month. I was spending about 600.00 and we had to raise it a bit when we improved our eating habits. I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's. They are reasonably priced if you are wanting organic. There are some specialty items that I have to get at the health food store because of the food allergies in our family. For the cleaners, paper products and toiletries I shop at WAlmart. They are the cheepest for that sort of thing. I do go to three different stores, but they are all in very close vicinity and I only shop on Monday when I have to be in town anyway for an appointment. We have made a choice to be more careful about what we are putting into our bodies and the only box or can food that I buy are Trader Joes mac-n-cheese and refired beans, chilli for the kids. I make everything from fresh foods now and buy my staples in bulk. I have some old canning jars that I store them in, in the pantry. I would like to learn how to bake a good tasting bread with spelt, oat, rice flour, etc. They always seem to come out so heavy even if I add a little tapioca flour. Anyway, I think it comes down to choice. There are lots of ways to cut corners, but I wouldn't want to do it to the extent where we were going back to commercial and processed foods. We are definately a paycheck to paycheck family and I'm not able to work full time right now, but it seems as though the Lord always provides.

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  09:21:11 AM  Show Profile
Good point Connie about the library. I do go there quite often and check out all different types of books and IF I really like it I will buy it, and that's only happened once so far.

I checked out the USDA webpage that was posted here and according to that I guess I'm spending what I should but it still seems so much. Spending $6-700.00 dollars/month for us is with buying the most organic that I can so maybe I'm just over reacting here.

I'll keep cutting corners where I can I guess and try to make a pantry list and menu and try to stick by it and see how that does my next shopping trip.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  1:45:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow I'm feeling pretty good about our grocery spending. We'll go to costco and URM and load up every 3 or 4 months and spend about 300.00 and then eat off that, only stopping in the store to replenish things like milk, eggs, juice and cheese.. we'll be spending on produce in the winter too but we try to keep it pretty minimal by preparing sauces and soups with produce in the fall and freezing it until later in the winter. So the actual grocery store is usually about a 30.00 trip about 2 times a month. I watch for the 10 for 10.00 sale to stock up on things like bread flour and sugar.

We shop at the day old bread store once a month and drop about 20.00 on bread to freeze, at those stores you can get the nice whole grain breads for less than the cost of the spongy white bread in the normal stores.

Also if you start making sourdough and keep a starter going you can make 2 loaves for under a dollar with the right recipe. I got it off of a post from someone here and we've been making a lot of it.

We grow most of our own produce so we total at only 80.00 a month for everything plus a big grocery store splurge every 3 or 4 months.

We're a family of 4 with 2 toddlers

(a sidebar, while my husband was working he frequented Taco Hell once a day so that really added up, so if you pack lunches you save a LOT of money, and the bathroom smells better)

Here is a tip I got from the Tightwad Gazette, You can save a small fortune on cans of pumpkin by carving your Jack-o-lanterns the day before Halloween, setting them out for Halloween night, and then baking them in the shell at a fairly low temp.. I think it was 300 but if anyone wants me to check my book I will... until the soft pulp scrapes out. puree it to use in soups, breads and pies. We still have 2 freezer bags of it from last year and will be scraping out the 5 pumpkins we grew this year to use all next year.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  05:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Kristi. You don't mention if you're buying a lot of convenience foods. They always jack up the prices. Cold breakfast cereals are one of the highest marked up itmes in the store. Hot cereals are much cheaper per serving. Incidentally, on the thread on this board that asks what you eat for breakfast, I posted a recipe for cornmeal mush.

Also, are you in a part of Texas with a high Mexican population? Here in Chicago, there are produce markets that cater to Mexicans and other ethnic groups. Their produce is usually less than half the price of the produce at the supermarket, and other things like eggs and milk are really cheap there, too. Eggs, for instance, are $1.69 at the supermarket, and usually $.89 at this store. For the last couple of weeks, they've had them on sale for $.69, which is even better.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  12:18:39 PM  Show Profile
No, I'm in the very northern part of Texas so there are only a very few Mexican stores here, but I can check out the ones we have. I never thought about that.

We have a Sam's Club here but it seems like I spend so much in there. That's wonderful that you can make 300.00 last for a couple months. That's what I need to figure out and then just make the minimal trips to the store.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

Wanted to suggest again that ya'll check out www.angelfoodministries.com. THink that you will be amazed at how much you can save.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Shopping Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page