Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Shopping Next Topic
Page: of 2

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  1:46:02 PM  Show Profile
I think that having a cache of recipes for "good, plain food" is the way to start out. For example, my mothers recipe for "Porcupine Meatballs" is always a huge hit and it has only four ingredients which are all inexpensive - then I just add a vegetable side and it is a full meal. We often eat bread with it to but since it has rice, not everyone wants more starch. I'd be happy to share the recipe if you like.

I use coupons but not very many because I find the store brand as opposed to the name brand is still cheaper, even after the coupon.

For bacon, I buy that nondescipt looking 3 lb box of ends and pieces you can find in the freezer section if you look. There is actually more meat and less fat in it!!!! Who cares if the slices aren't as pretty and uniform?

I asked for and received a "seal-a-meal" thingy for Christmas last year. I love it because other methods of sealing food still allow air in and that leads to freezer burn and allows the moisture to be drawn out of cheeses. This allows me to buy big bricks of cheese and freeze them. I also use it when I make a big batch of homemade belgian waffles. We freeze the extras and have them whenever we want. The contraption isn't cheap but pays for itself pretty quickly.

Lastly, I barter my sewing skills with a local farmer for eggs and for seasonal veggies. I do his mending and some occasional sewing and he keeps me stocked. Sometimes I trade my fruit for his veggies.

Bon Appetit!
Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  7:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I was just watching Unwrapped on Foodnetwork and they were talking about this lady who has made a business out of clipping coupons. Her website is www.thegrocerygame.com Basically what she has done is all the research of when to buy certain items with a certain coupon, or to wait and things can be purchased even cheaper. The camera went to the store with her and her bill was originally something like $290.00 and when she gave her coupons she only paid $79.00!!! That's impressive!!! I went to the website but you have to pay a $10.00 membership fee and the only list of coupon items she has for my area is Albertson's which I never shop at. If any of you ladies get a chance check it out and see what you think. It would be kind of neat to try it and see if it really works but why should I pay someone 10.00 to tell me which coupons I need? OH well.

Lucinda-- I had one of those seal-a-meal things and it did work great but then mine stopped sealing properly and I need a new one. It does work great for keeping freezer burn off.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  1:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I looked into thegrocerygame a while back. I was really into the "coupon" thing for a while.
But what I found was that I bought alot of stuff that I didn't use or need and tons of processed foods.
Most of the di-hard couponers buy and stockpile. That is how they save so much$$ at a time. For instance you have a coupon for $1 off of cereal. So you stockpile the coupons, then when the cereal goes on sale you take say 25 $1 off coupons and buy 25 boxes of the cereal. You just saved $25+ dollars. That is great if you will eat those 25 boxes of cereal before they go stale.
I actully remember seeing websites that showed people's stockpiles. Some of those people had dressers full of toothpaste and such :0 would you really ever use that much toothpaste before it went bad??? On the flip side I did see one lady's site that truly enjoyed coupon shopping and donated almost everything to her local shelters!! I thought that was awesome!!

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, you just have to think things thru and not buy things just because it is free or a good deal. I still use coupons, just very rarely. I no longer buy the paper for just the coupons as I used to. I do have a favorite site that you can purchase cpns from. http://www.thecouponclippers.com/coupons/customer/home.php I don't use it much at all anymore since trying to ditch all processed foods and eat as much organic as possible, but it did help me save $$ when I used it. For example I would get deoderant cpn for $1 and get 12. Then watch for it on sale for $1.29. I just got DH 6-12 months of deoderant for $3.48. Saving me apx $24.Just don't let the cpns expire if you get them!!

I also don't agree with the thought of using lot's of coupons on the smallest size pkg, to get the best buy. IMO that is just creating a ton of extra trash for the landfills. Plus all the extra pollution and chemicals used to create all those little packages.

I once again think a price book and menus are your best bet to saving $$, but coupons can add some extra$$ If you still stick to the menu.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  1:36:11 PM  Show Profile
Then there are those of us who do not buy anything that there is ever a coupon for.
For the most part i avoid the center isles of the grocery stores and make most all of what we eat from scratch. Reasons for avoiding the prepackaged things vary but mostly I avoid them for allergy reasons or to avoid the preservatives.
The thing that has impacted my grocery bills the most lately is the very high price on fresh fruit and vegetables. In some places the organic produce that I can buy at our local co-op that is grown locally is less expensive than the stuff I get at QFC my other option. Another thing that has me upset about the cost of these commodities is that so much of the produce this year is not good! I got some beautiful nectarines this week that were rotting from the inside out. You could not tell by looking at them until you bit into it. Ugh! That means another trip to the store to return them and the cost of the gas to get there is not worth the price paid so money out of pocket but not consumable.
We purchase all of our staples in 50 pound bags from our co-op and I buy organic. I buy all of our meat from our local farmers when I can. I have a garden or buy from my neighbor who has a vegetable farm and sells at the farmers market, I raise my own chickens and I am creative in the kitchen. I still have a high bill for just the two of us.
The rest of you have wonderful tips and I commend you. I saw a coupon shopper in action this week at my QFC where she had a $250.00 bill and after coupons had only $42.00 to pay. She could feed a lot of hungry people for that!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  4:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Well from the sound of it you have to be really dedicated to doing the coupons. I know that I would not be. I don't have enough time during the day to do the things that I have to get done let alone researching coupons. Sounds like the best for me so far is to make up a staples list, things that we consider household staples that are used all the time and stick to that list at the store. Also making a menu for meals. I'm going to try that this next payday when I will be going to the store. For the most part I have been staying away from the center isles except for a very few items.

I've noticed that I'm wasting a lot of money on produce. Before I really decided that I was feeding my family crap and am now buying as much organic as I can, I was going to the store once every 2 weeks and trying to make it last. Well the organic stuff doesn't have as many or no preservatives. Since I'm still in the mindset that I'm shopping for 2 weeks worth of groceries, my stuff is going bad. I need to shop for 1 week at a time and maybe that will help with my bill too.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  06:17:25 AM  Show Profile
Here is a dollar stretching recipes from my mom which I "swear by instead of at"

PORCUPINE MEATBALLS

Mix the following and form into balls:
1 pound ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, or lamb)
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Brown the meatballs in 2 Tbsp oil (I use olive oil)
Add ----2-8oz. cans tomato sauce
1 cup water
Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2005 :  07:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lucinda for the recipe. I'll have to try it. My daughter LOVES meatballs.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  06:36:29 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, I know what you mean about not needing coupons anymore. I almost never use them, because the stuff that they usually save you money on is expensive processed food that I'd never buy anyway.

Same thing with stores like Sam's club or Costco. My mother went on and on about how great Costco was. I went with her, and I only bought one edible item, a package of smoked salmon. (Yes, I ended up spending $72. I have enough cleaning products to last me until the end of earth). I think that these stores make their money by convincing you that you need products that you wouldn't otherwise buy. Then you end up stockpiling them and not using them.

My husband has recently gotten me back into cutting out coupons, though. Even if you try to eat lots of fresh foods, that doesn't mean you don't still eat some canned stuff like tuna or tomatoes. We also use coupons for cat food and litter, cleaning and hygiene products, etc. Last night I got $1.00 off of a bottle of olive oil with a coupon.

Kristi, as far as buying groceries every two weeks, you have to get rid of that notion right now. I shop every time I cook now, which means I probably go to the store 3-4 times a week.

Edited by - ivmeer on Oct 27 2005 06:40:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile
Time to refer to our European cousins who still shop daily. They go to the vegetable market, the bakery and the meat market and choose what they will prepare for dinner that night. Everything then is fresh and unprocessed. When we still had corner markets in our communities in the city this was possible, but these days... well.. times have changed. I agree, shopping as you prepare the food is the best. You go in with a short list, know what you want, and you are outta there in no time... so while it sounds inconvienent to go more frequently, you are actually spending less money which balances out for the time factor. And your fruits & veges are organic and therefore healthier.

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  08:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Clare, Stu says this is how he shopped in England, and he was very content. Not only do you get fresh food, but you get to visit with the fishmonger, the baker, and relax a bit. In this country, we rush around trying to fit too much into a day, try to speed thru at a grocer and still save money, and end up frazzled and not knowing what we bought or have at home.

Speaking of coupons, I do use a few. Used to use more when I had the kids at home, and think they can be very useful, especially if you can double or even triple them and combine them with a sale! Home run! So I will again offer to save coupons for whoever wants them. I get the paper every Sunday and if you will tell me what you want, I will save and send.

Have a great Fall day!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  12:03:33 PM  Show Profile
I know a few people that shop daily or every other day and I've thought about it but man, taking 4 little kids the store is a pain in the butt!! 2 of them are mine and 2 are daycare kids. It's an option though I might try or try to send hubby to the store more often.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  12:18:03 PM  Show Profile
I think it depends on the person. In Europe, they have tiny refridgerators and there is usually a small grocer within walking distance. When I lived in London, I actually enjoyed getting my groceries everyday. Here, I am invariably cold/hot, tired, and hungry when I get to the store and consider giant grocery stores to be a personalized hell.

Am I the only person we dreams of a grocery store where they sell, well, you know, groceries. I don't want sweatshirts, greeting cards, toys, a bank, the drycleaners, all in my way when I am shopping for food. I just want to get what I need and get out of there.

I also think there is a danger of spending too much over the long haul if I go everyday. I'm sure others are more disciplined than I but you know how those extra items sneak into your cart when you shop. If that happened everyday.....eeeek!

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  12:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda, you start by deciding exactly what you want to cook. Then you go to the store with a list and stick to it. Seriously, the waste is much less, and I always end up throwing away less than when I just go to the store and pick up a bunch of stuff.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  12:36:20 PM  Show Profile
My grocery store is pretty much just a grocery store and it's one of the highlights of my week. I know - my sister thinks it's weird, too - but I love the whole process of figuring out menus, making my list, going to the store with my youngest son - the others are too old now - we just have a great time. I love the store - it's beautiful, clean, tons of organic, great produce, seafood, bread, cheeses, wine, and they always have a couple of chefs cooking something great while they talk on microphones. But - I'm a food person - love to cook it, love to eat it, love to cook for others. My husband and I were in Paris once and it was wonderful - the markets, etc. We were on a shoestring, so we lived on great bread, cheese and fruit every day that we picked up as we walked. We ate at a sidewalk cafe probably twice the whole time.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  12:49:30 PM  Show Profile
KJD, I totally understand what you mean. I also like winning the sale game. I scan the flyers and plan my meal around what's on sale.

I'm so glad that I found the perfect man. My husband understands my love of grocery stores, and he loves going with me to the store. Last night he convinced me to get not one, but 2 bottles of extra virgin olive oil. I now have 3 bottles of olive oil in my kitchen for use in 3 different types of recipes. My husband understands that this is normal.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile
That IS the perfect man! I found the other one! He never limits my food buying and loves everything I cook. I do try not to go over my self-imposed budget, but that keeps creeping higher I'm afraid. I feel like cooking is another part of my job as wife and mother and I want to do my best.
Go to Top of Page

Lazycreek
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Charlee
Mt Ida AR
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  6:01:15 PM  Show Profile
I love reading the posts about shopping in Europe. When we lived in Australia, shopping was very similar. There was a bakery section and a meat section and then stuff in the iles. Canned veggies and fruits were in glass ball jars that people recycled. Bakery items were fresh and not at all like the sliced bread we find here. No meats were prepackaged in styrofoam and plastic wrap, you picked what you wanted and it was wrapped in paper. No boxed cake mixes, no prepackaged foods were available-------mostly because Australia has one of the most agressive recycling programs around. If you didn't want to cook a cake from scratch, then buy one from the local baker. At check out, there was not "plastic or paper". You brought your cloth bag or you carried your groceries out in your arms. Space is at a premium there and so buying a lot of food at one time isn't a good option. They also use mass transit and you can't haul a lot of food with you.

Believe in the power of your dreams
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  06:31:51 AM  Show Profile
It's so interesting to hear how others shop, like in Europe and Charlee I liked your post about Australia.

Well I went shopping this week and bought enough meat for 7 meals, fresh veggies, milk, yogurt, etc. I had to also buy very few cleaning and laundry supplies. I made my list and except for 5-6 items I stuck to my list. My bill was STILL $226.00!!!! I was shocked and I only did shopping for ONE week!!! I'm such a horrible shopper, maybe our groceries are just more expensive here in my area or something.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  06:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I too think the cost of groceries is prohibitive! And getting higher all the time. I just spent $50 there yesterday, just getting canned pumpkin for the bread I have to make for the bake sale, flour, sugar, some veggies, organic milk and creamer and gobs more pasta.

Pasta is our staple. I have lots of tomatoes yet from our garden, so I use those to make sauces with some onions and maybe some mushrooms.

I do my best to keep costs down, I buy meat when on sale (Fridays) and divide it up. Three pounds of hamburger makes four dinners, (hamburger stroganoff, a soup, and my 3-hours in the making tomoato sauce) with leftovers for my hubby to take to work. We never have meat as the entree, unless I found an excellent sale. We have a lot of soups and stews because they make a LOT of food and can be 2 dinners and 2 lunches.

Like Aunt Jenny, cheese is the bugger of an expense. We buy it in solid form as we can grate it ourselves, that saves a few bucks right there, and it tastes better besides.

The other BUGGER for us is the dogs. We feed them raw meat... which if you are not careful, can cost a lot. But I want them healthy, so I buy whole chickens or whatever I can find on sale for 85 cents a pound, and stock up big time. They also get plain yogurt and raw eggs, so those are cheap meals too. And canned mackarel rather than canned salmon, it's 30 cents cheaper.

Other than that... I try to avoid canned goods as much as I can. I found $1.19 a can racks up purdy darn fast! Oh and I bake our cookies AND treats for the dogs... because it is cheaper.

Edited by - greyghost on Nov 01 2005 06:48:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Shopping Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page