Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Picked my first head of broccoli
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Picked my first head of broccoli Next Topic  

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  11:09:06 AM  Show Profile
And oh, man, was it good! It was so sweet and tender, I ate half the head while I was still outside before dinner. I wasn't very hungry for dinner, but that's ok, I got my fill! Three more heads are coming along. I'm so glad I decided to plant it this year.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  11:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations! There's nothing like fresh-cut broccoli, is there! I know what you mean about eating the harvest in the "field." It's impossible not to taste :-) I'm curious, what variety did you plant?
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  12:25:47 PM  Show Profile
You grew broccoli up there?? Dang girl you are good I just grew alot of rocks there LOL I am getting tomatoes coming on if I could keep major from eating them all. He is very sneaky about it too. Ed was down in the garden with the dogs and spotted two that he was going to surprise me with for dinner. He turned his back for a minute and Major was missing. he thought that was weird that he went back to the house cuz thats not normal for him. Well guess what was missing? The tomatoes. Dang dog.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  3:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Lisa! It's so funny because I was just going to post the same thing as you when I found yours! I am so happy your broccoli turned out great! This was my first time growing broccoli and I went on a trip and came back and they were a little past ready...a bit long, but they still taste great and oh so fresh!!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Mara, this variety is called "Premium Crop". After the heirloom variety "Raab" was such a disappointment, I ran down to our little local nursery and picked up a four pack of these.

Ha, Laura, your funny. You know it just takes a ton of imported and home-made dirt! Since you left, I seriously expanded the garden and I grow corn, pumpkin, watermelon, cataloupe and all the other normal short-season stuff. Pumpkin and melons don't get very big, but they are oh, so sweet!

I remember your rock crops. It appears the folks living in your old house are still growing your rocks! I can't believe Major ate your tomatoes! What a mischievous goof. I'm glad to hear he's still doing well. I miss him, too. Tell Ed I said hi and happy VERY belated birthday.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  2:58:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa:
Now I am hungary for broccolli. LOL
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
No kidding! I think I have broccoli envy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lisa, I know this is off the subject but I found out yesterday Major and the Jack both have Lymes' disease. Spendy little problem but they should be ok.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  07:04:52 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, what did you do to your broccoli to keep those nasty worms at bay? I can remember when I first planted the stuff and brought those lovely heads inside, washed them and plunked them in the boiling water only to find those nasty floaters. YECH, UGH, AAAAARRRGH. I haven't planted any since.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  07:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, thanks for naming that variety. I'll see if it's good for our very different climate and consider it for next year.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  3:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Awww, Laura, that stinks! Have they been sick? I hope they get better soon. Check over on the Barnyard Buddies. Somebody over there might have a home remedy to keep the stupid ticks off them.

Betty, I didn't have any worms or any problems with them at all. I think our altitude might be a saving grace when it comes to some pests. I have never had any kind of beetle problem, either.

Good luck, Mara.

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Picked my first head of broccoli Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page