Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomatoe spots Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  5:25:07 PM  Show Profile
I have a question my husband would like to know.
The bottom of several of our tomatoes have a round brown spot. What is this? Any answers would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Marly

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  6:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey Marly,
I had this problem when I grew tomatoes in containers - it sounds like it is "blossom end rot" usually caused by fluctuations in soil moisture, like if your tomatoes get really dry, then you water, at least that is what was going on with mine. I never did get it right in the containers, I ended up switching them to the garden and haven't had the problem since - I think because our ground is sub-irrigated
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Amy, thank sound logical. I'll let my husband know. Not all of the tomatoes do that, but alot of them do. Especially the Roma tomatoes. Thanks for the post.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  11:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
it is most likely blossom end rot which is caused by a calcium deficiency. (this info per hubby who was a farmer until i dragged him away from michigan!) you can help that by first picking off all the tomatoes that have it and then treat the plants with either using powdered milk around each plant (probably not the best fix at this point as it should be done when you plant them) or go to home depot or its equivelant and by liquid calcium, (i dont now the exact name) and spray on the plants (make sure you dont use a sprayer that has been used for weed killer!) it will absorb thru the leaves and future tomatoes shouldnt be affected. if you dont pick the tomatoes off that are already affected it just drains the plant and you will end up with a total crop loss. good luck and keep us posted! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  06:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that information Connie. I'll bet some liquid calcium.
Marly
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomatoe spots Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page