Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Familiar with Bayco horse fencing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Familiar with Bayco horse fencing? Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  5:53:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm shopping around for safe horse fencing, and I know there was a previous thread on this that got me thinking and doing some research on different products. Does anyone out there have experience with Bayco horse fencing (by the Bayer company...sounds reliable)? It sounds marvelous, but is it all sales pitch or is it really good stuff?

We make a difference.

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the tip on this stuff... it may be just what we're looking for, too. We are constructing a permanent "desert-style" round pen with cedar posts and need fencing. One 2000 foot roll (that's how it comes) will be more than enough. We could actually string it around 12 times if necessary.

We're now wondering if IFA has it or if we'll have to order from DMA Enterprises in Roseburg, OR or if the guy on eBay is our best bet.

I was able to find an "installation guide" out of Australia (Gallagher) that showed exactly how to install it, and it looks like we gals could get it done without much hassle. The roll weighs 26 pounds and you use the electric fence insulators as guides, stretching it 3% for tensile strength.

I found it priced anywhere from $295 a roll with free shipping to $335 plus shipping. We can't buy regular field fencing, or wood for that price.

I don't have any experience yet, but give us a month or two, and I'll be we've got it installed.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, that's good news. I just chatted with a vet, and I'm going to look at some other options too. I did e-mail DMA and they were very helpful with information as you mention. I'm going to price out the options the vet mentioned and then decide which way to go. It feels good to decrease the chances for damaging those tender legs. Good fencing is cheaper than an extended vet stay or the loss of a dear animal.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  09:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Horse safety is one of our main motivations. We have one big Thoroughbred gelding who insists on rolling INTO the rails. While we have one rail-type portable round-pen system, we've built an an additional permanent pen for additional turnout.

I'd be interested in knowing of your vet recommendations. We see our vet once a year, if we're lucky. He's about 50 miles away, and we do most all our own "vet stuff" ourselves.

The one thing we're pretty careful about is turning any of our our three horses out to the pen and leaving them unattended. Pasture is non-existent, so they're corralled full time. The funny thing is our corral is made from RR ties and then "fenced" with lateral 2x8 on the top and field fencing below to about 12 inches. From there down, it's open. We've never had a leg tangle in the corral. Oh, and there's even a row of RR ties going through the center line of the corral.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

MEfarmgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Karen
Hollis Maine
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  7:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see MEfarmgirl's MSN Messenger address
Hi girls,
We just put up Electro Braid fencing (manufactured in Canada, but dealers here in US)I have looked at a lot of fencing and was nervous about purchasing etc. But I am happy happy happy with this stuff. We did 3 strands with wooden posts for corners It is very eye appealing and Strong! We use a solar charger and have 2 horses (a 2y/o and an 8y/o) and we've had NO issues at all. The tensioner system makes everything taut and nice!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:26:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, the vet my little guy is seeing right now (I think she only sees horses, and is a horse gal through and through) recommended wire (can't remember what gauge, I'll edit when I find out). She uses 4 strands, first one 18" up, then 12" spaces after that. I like the solar option for the "hot" wire, will have to look into that. She uses springs on each line at the gate to keep tension/add a little give when/if needed. She hasn't had a problem and told me the 4 other horse-vets she knows in the area have the same set up. I figure that made for sound advice for me, so that's what we're going to set up. She recommended against my getting any sort of corral paneling and showed me where she only used one for a gate because she couldn't get the gate posts to line up nicely and the panel just worked. She said it's just too easy to get heads and legs caught in the spaces. So, as they were expensive, I've happily abandoned the idea of needing a panel corral system.

Karen, thanks for the information on Electro Braid, I'll look that up. Sounds interesting.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Familiar with Bayco horse fencing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page