Cheryl Severeide
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:10:15 PM  Show Profile
I was on my way out to the compost pile after dinner and noticed a wilting dove huddled on top of my swamp cooler between it and the livingroom window...I hope she will be ok... by morning when the sun comes up... This is the second dove we have seen die this past week.. They usually flock around their favorite spot to eat in the sunshine. We loe watching them and hearing them cooing...We did spot a cougar Sunday as well only about 1/4 mile from the front of the property across the road..Chasing a jack rabbit we think.... I know that the fit will survive and life goes on.. but its sad to see a creature fading...

Life situations and circumstances change quickly, often without notice... Take each challenge with a positive attitude.

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Aww Cheryl, this is sad indeed. They are such fragile creatures. I have several tame breeds as pets. Hopefully it's not heat related, but they are very sensitive to imbalances in their environment or diet..hmmm...I hope she is ok as well...

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:02:35 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl...I love the doves, too. I hope she makes it--they are very sensitive little souls.

I actually painted our bedroom "Mourning Dove" in their honor...love their sounds and sweet ways. I had one pass in my hands last week and it bout' broke my heart. Buried her in my rose bed.

Bless you for caring about them :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Severeide
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:11:01 AM  Show Profile
Horray.......... She flew away... I am wondering if she flew into the window & knocked herself kookoo, no pun intended.. It was early evening.. Thanks for the caring replies Jonni and Zan...Have a great day...

Life situations and circumstances change quickly, often without notice... Take each challenge with a positive attitude.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
This happened to me once and the poor little dove was crouched between a tree and a wall looking pitiful. I turned on the sprinkler, thinking it was thirsty, and it finally wobbled over, took a nice long cool bath, pecked at the ground and flew away. Maybe she just need to sit a spell!!! : )

I am glad she flew away!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad she felt good enough to fly away. At my old apartment we had some doves nesting in our pine tree. Such an amazing sweet sound!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wilting dove... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page