Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
We made a promise to our son that when he turned 12, we would get him his first beef calf. Our goal is to help him build up a small herd of cows to be bred and raise their calves to sell later on. It's sort of our way of helping him build a small nest egg. This little guy came up for sale from some friends of ours and we snagged him and banded him. He's the start but not the foundation animal. He is teaching my son the responsiblites of feeding and caring for without having to be told or nagged to do it. So far, so good. He is doing it all.
I'll post pics of the heifers as we get them.

Trace

Moonsanity
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Brenda
Michigan
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:32:04 AM  Show Profile
What a cutie! This is such a cool idea for your son. I think it will teach him so many great lessons.

~Brenda, Farmgirl Sister #207
http://grace-whimsy.blogspot.com/
http://inthetreetop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
oh he is so cute! i love babies. your son will learn alot just raising this guy.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
It's funny, my son knows we don't name "our food" so he asked if he could give the calf a number. Sure, why not ( hum, in hind sight, is this smart thinking on my part?, lol) Lee chose to number his first calf 11. So now we have a herd of 1, that starts off with number 11. I guess we could always count backwards. Then where do we go?? heehe
Anyway, "eleven" is really do well. He has filled out and today was his first day of pail feeding. Went really good and that little buggar is smart. It's been a few years since I taught a calf to drink from a pail. But I think in another day, he won't even need my help. Then Lee can take over again as usual. Lee's been the one to do ALL the work for that calf til today when we took him off the bottle. "eleven" is also starting to nibble on grass.

Cross your fingers the next calf will be a heifer...

Trace
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hi trace, that is so cute! isnt that sorta like a name? *wink* i remember fondly naming all my food! i have, currently, Sir Loin, TDH and ButtterBucket. in the past i have had Calfer, Beau, Suzie and of course Ferdinand! i wont name the chicks as there are too many lol. we also had a pig we called Yard becasue he got out and we never got him out of the yard and back into the pen. i just look at my guys and see steak and roasts on the hoof! lol.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think Eleven makes sense- Herd One, Beef One =11

So the next calf can be twelve and so on. One he gets over 99 in a herd they can be 1100 :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Sons First Beef Calf Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page