Page: of 2

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  9:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
~~~~Is there an Absolute Favorite .... "Tried and True"....Family recipe you might like to share?....... One that was a tradition when you were growing up and you continue to make and hope to pass down to your children OR >>>> one that you have started as a new tradition because your family loves it. Maybe one you make for a special holiday or just for a weekly family meal.~~~~

*****I am a True believer in Family Traditions and what better then, Food Traditions!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  02:00:08 AM  Show Profile
We used to love my mother's blueberry cake. I haven't slept yet tonight, but I'll see if i can't find it at some point during the day and get back to you. It is just one of those simple two egg cakes, with some fresh Maine blueberries thrown in and sugar ssprinkled on top. It is so delicious and conjures up all my childhood summers. I don't usually amke it until August when the blueberries show up....it is almost time to make one!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on Jul 22 2008 02:01:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  05:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Ha, Karin!! It's my mom's blueberry cake here as well!! Only I always got one in June for my birthday. (Blueberries come ripe a little earlier in Massachusetts.) She still makes it for me every year - Mom and Dad live right next door. :) Hmmm. Where is that recipe? We will have to post them both and then Audrey will have two to make!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  06:38:56 AM  Show Profile
We enjoyed a Chocolate applesause cake. Some us like it with rasins some with nuts some frosted and some plain some with all three.I think we all said that when we grew up we would make one to just eat the raw batter no eggs in this one. I don't think any one of us ever did but that bowl always got licked clean.

Diana
Let go let GOD!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  06:47:21 AM  Show Profile
We always had carrot bars with cream cheese icing. That was mom's "no fail" recipe for all gatherings, friends' who needed a pick me up, baby's being born, whatever. I still love them--and family friends still request them!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
My family's favorite recipe of mine is my potato salad. I'm asked to bring it to every party and my hubby says that my 'tater salad' is the only one he'll eat! lol I must be doing something right!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Karin & Karin..............OH MY!!!.....Two Karin's and Two Blueberry Cakes!! Please do share the recipes! I have many recipes that have been handed down from my dear Mother.........some desserts....some main dishes....some side dishes..........I will have to close my eyes and pick just one randomly because we love all of them!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Diana....PLEASE do send the recipe! Chocolate applesauce! I think I might have to try the batter too!!! Guess we all have fond memories of licking the wooden spoon! I DO!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Are the carrot bars sort of like carrot cake Jonni............YUMMY!!!! Don't forget everyone .... we want to share the recipes!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Tammy.....I would LOVE to have a good recipe for Potato Salad!!!! Please do share!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:33:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe that my family loves but it takes a lot of time the first time. It is for Indian Currey. You need to have an indian grocery store available. You need fresh currey leaves. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you the recipe. It has about 10 different spices in it. It took me over an hour in prep and cooking the first time. If you like Indian food you will love it.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
So glad to see so many have Family Food Traditions!!!! But.....I was Hoping this would be an opportunity for all of us to Share...Goodness not just for me!!!! >> although I will be Loving getting all the recipes Too! Sooooo if you have a favorite, please post the recipe on this thread for All to share!!! :)

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:00:51 PM  Show Profile
They are, Audrey, only you can pick em' up with your fingers :) Much easier for little hands and big hands, too :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Laura if you don't mind sharing it here on the thread so we can all enjoy having the recipe!! It sounds SOOOOO GOOOD!! We love Food from India in our house! One of our Fav Restaurants is called India Kitchen!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  9:56:43 PM  Show Profile
Here is the curry recipe:

Sri Lankan Chicken Curry

Serves 4 –5

3 lbs chicken (I use boneless breasts or thighs – but the bone-in is the tastier)
2 –3 tablespoons oil
¼ teaspoon fenugreek, optional
10 curry leaves (You can buy this in any Indian store such as the Regal or Mayuri at Overlake)
2 large onions, finely chopped
4 – 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
1-teaspoon turmeric
1-teaspoon chili powder
1-teaspoon ground coriander
1-teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground fennel
2 teaspoons paprika (In Sri Lanka we put about 20 chili peppers!)
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I use canned tomatoes when I’m in a hurry)
6 cardamom pods, bruised
1 stick cinnamon
1 stalk lemon grass or 2 strips lemon rind
1-cup thick coconut milk

Joint chicken. Cut breasts and thighs in halves, leave wings and drumsticks whole. Heat oil and fry fenugreek and curry leaves until they start to brown. Add onions, garlic and ginger and fry gently until onions are quite soft and golden. Add turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin, fennel, paprika, salt and vinegar. Stir well. Add chicken and stir over medium heat until chicken is thoroughly coated with spices. Add tomatoes, whole spices and lemon grass and cook, covered, over low heat 40 – 50 minutes. Add coconut milk, taste and add more salt and a squeeze of lemon juice, if desired. Do not cover after adding coconut milk.

Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
My tried & trues are also my potato salad, which I've also had several folks tell me they never liked until they tried mine, and carrot cake, same for that one.
Have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
My family will love the Chicken Curry Laura! Do you serve it with rice?

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I've been pondering which recipe to put on the thread of all the recipes that my family loves that have been passed down to me! It is between two right now......Fresh Apple Cake (love to make it in the Autumn) and Noodle Pudding (Kugal)which is a great side dish.........I have to run out to a meeting right now but, Will have one up this evening!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:20:08 PM  Show Profile
hmm mine would be my moms tuna cassarole YUMMY my boys love it and my grandma's carrot cake with cream cheese frosting...I wish I had some now.

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Green smoothies are a staple here that I hope my children carry on- as I want my future grandchildren to be sooo healthy! My kids call me the mad scientist of the green smoothie! Tonight lentils will be added to the smoothies.. for a bit of protein.
yum..

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I just realized something.. We are a family of dippers! We love to dip foods into sauces and dips.. We are giving up meat and dairy.. we love pizza.. I told the kids we would try some of the new soy cheeses out there. It just dawned on me that I could probably bake a plain pizza crust and serve it with a warm bowl of marinara for dipping and my boys would be soooo happy! :-) We are weird.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  5:29:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Audrey,

I will look for the rice recipe. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow. My friend who gave it to me is from Sri Lanka. It would recommend measuring out all of the spices and putting them in a row. The cooking goes quickly but measuring and chopping takes some time.

Laura

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  6:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Thanks Laura....Whenever you have time...no hurry. I can always put together some type of rice to go with the chicken .... maybe something with saffron in it. The Indian Restaurant we go to has a little shop attached to it with all kind of spices from India.

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  7:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Being Autumn is ALMOST here.....sort of almost here :).....Maybe I am a little ahead of myself, ha! ..... I decided to post the Fresh Apple Cake Recipe!

FRESH APPLE CAKE

Ingredients:

3 Large Apples - pared & chopped fine-medium
2 Cups Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Cup Oil
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking powder
3 Cups Flour
1 Cup Chopped Nuts
Cinnamon....to sprinkle on top of cake

Sprinkle sugar over apples. Let stand 20 minutes in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix eggs, oil, vanilla, baking soda, salt & baking powder. Pour mixture over apples & sugar mixture. Blend in flour. Add nuts and mix. Pour in a greased floured tube pan. Bake 70 minutes (or until golden brown) at 325 degrees. Sprinkle with cinnamon & nuts.

Enjoy!

Until Later,
Audrey

Edited by - Back Home Again on Jul 23 2008 7:08:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

ca.gal
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Evelyn
Sacramento California
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  4:26:34 PM  Show Profile
That would be my moms fried chicken.She made the best fried chicken that I have eaten so far.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  7:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Toni:
Carrot cake is my favorite. Do you have the recipe for that? Share it with us. I bet I'm not the only Farm Girl wishing for a taste of that. LOL
Marly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Tried and True".......... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page