Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Looking for local huckleberries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for local huckleberries Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  11:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Anyone in Western Washington know where I can get a supply of huckleberries? I'm looking to do some canning.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  5:20:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kimberly,
I'm here in Bonney Lake & would like to know this too.
Thanks for asking.
Does anyone know where You Pick blueberries are a reasonable price?

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about your area, but here, the huckleberries are VERY expensive to buy and if you find a patch out in the forest, don't tell a soul or never get any again! No one here will give up the location of their huckleberry patches. Hiking around here for more than 9 years and I still have yet to find a patch of my own. Good luck, gals.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:44:47 AM  Show Profile
That's my problem - I have no idea where to look to pick some of my own. I'm desperate to put up some huckleberry jam but darn it they don't seem to be around much, at least anywhere for sale. Thanks for the good wishes!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Jen over at the outpost posted the website where you can buy huckleberries on line. She said they are not cheap but she's saving her pennies to buy some--www.nwwildfoods.com LisaMarie, we've been here four years and at first had a hard time finding them. They are at a little higher elevation than we were looking at. Asked a couple of people and was given general directions. Well turns out very close to our home there's a great patch. My "secret spot" is frequented by lots of locals but there are more than enough to go around. Luckily professonal pickers haven't come or found it. There the ones that can clean out a patch quickly. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:09:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I checked out the berries on nwwildfoods and they are super expensive. I hope I have better luck finding a spot in my area to get these because 4 pounds for 52 bucks is a bit steep for me. But thanks for the link! It's fun to browse.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Washington Gals!! I'm on the Olympic Peninsula born and raised here.... I have to tell you I spend a lot of time hiking and what-not outdoors and I've never seen any really close. I've actually only found a couple of spots in my life. First of all as you probably already know, they are found in higher elevations. I found one patch while hiking around on Mount Baker (we found a patch of wild blueberries and huckleberries!). The other patch was just outside of Leavenworth. Course you can find all kinds of the red huckleberries while just walkin' around in the woods those we add to our pancake batter on camping trips, sort of a family tradition! :D Good luck!

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:45:26 PM  Show Profile
I think 4 lbs of huckleberries is about a gallon. Around here, a gallon of huckleberries sold for $40 last year (haven't seen them for sale yet this year). So, by the time you add up gas to get there, time to pick, then that really isn't such a bad deal. Down side is you're supporting the professional pickers (is that good/bad/otherwise?)...like everything, there are good and bad ones... and you miss out on the thrill of discovery, stained fingers, achey back, and that woodsy fresh air with a chance for wildlife encounters. So, there you go. A gallon of huckleberries goes a really long way. One pie, 2 cups. One gallon huckleberry wine, 4 lbs. berries (hey, is that why they sell it in that quantity?). 6 cups for jam (most folks cut it with apple juice to stretch it and the result is still a nice huckleberry taste without so much twang some folks actually prefer.) Hope you have fun with whatever you decide.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for local huckleberries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page