dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  6:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Okay all you wonderfully smart and talented farmgirls out there, I need help getting rid of flies in my house. They look like baby black flies (no, they're not fruit flies).

Any suggestions? I checked at Home Depot and the only fly traps they had were those cheap sticky ones or ones you could only use outdoors.

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  07:42:52 AM  Show Profile
I think cheap fly tape works pretty good.

For some reason this year was our first problem with flies, they were HUGE! lol Well ironically my mom had bought my husband a electric fly swatter! lol It worked well! Just like a "bug light" that kills bugs outside, this fly swatter does the same. It looks like a tennis racket, and you push a button and "swat" the flies, and they die immediately after being touched by the swatter! lol My husband thought it was fun! lol
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile
these aren't the 'hoards' that come along with those nasty little 'asian beetle lady bugs' are they? i always suck both up in the vacuum .. cuz' they seem to all cling to the windows.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diana-

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with flies...they are my number one annoyance in the summertime!!! Farmlife just brings them running (or flying....)

We don't have trouble with them ever since we brought a barn kitty home from Grandmas...she loves to catch and eat them! Have you ever heard of such a thing?? But before we had her this is what we did and it worked very well...

Use a desk lamp, clip lamp or some kind of book light that can be placed low so that it leans over. Lean it over a bowl or pan of water that has some dishsoap in it and leave the light on all night till morning. It only works at night when it is dark. The flies come to the light, end up falling in the water (I think they either get burned or blinded???) and the soap makes them die. Just empty it in the morning and make it up fresh for the next night. This works for fleas, too, but you'd want to place it on the floor where they tend to be hopping around the most. It works for fruit flies on the counter and all other kind of flying, drawn to light pest you can find.

Good luck...let me know how it goes!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  9:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
wow, that sounds like an awesome idea Carrie! I have a problem with flies since I moved to this new place back in March - I think it's probably because we have horse stables and pastures across the road, cows around the corner, sheep up the road, goats for neighbors, and donkeys over the next hill!

My current fly control method is sticky tape by the window and to hand my husband the other fly swatter and wage guerilla warfare!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Magdelina (or do you go by Maggie??)

Your current method sounds like lots of work!! The soapy water is sooooooo easy! I always hated those sticky tapes...someone always ended up with the glue all over them or the tape stuck to their hair!

Give it a try!
carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  1:24:43 PM  Show Profile
LOL sticky tape in the hair... Happend to me a few times last summer! I used them then and they worked ok... og the little gnat type bugs too. I would try the soapy water, cuz I've used it for moths and it worked for that.

You can also get little bucket things that have a liquid in them that attracts the flies. They fly in and can't get out. You should be able to find them at any farm store or Ace Hardware or such. I think you can use them indoors too..

Good Luck!
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  5:22:14 PM  Show Profile
I;ve done the sticky liquid stuff, too, and also some kind of sticky plates that plug into outlets at floor level and work for fleas in the carpet. they have a little light that attract night bugs. Unfortunately, they can be costly. Soapy water and light bulbs are low cost!

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  3:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Ick. I hate them. It's been so warm here this fall I still have them. I hate to use bug spray so I guess I'm going to have to go after them with the swatter, ick.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Flies....Ugh! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page