Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What kind of china or pottery are you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What kind of china or pottery are you? Next Topic
Page: of 2

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  6:45:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm feeling a little goofy today...(blame it on the moon) We all love our dishes and china and crystal and pottery and granite ware, right? We are farmgirls....and any farm auction you attend if a woman lived in the house there is apt to be several tables of various dishes, china, ect... If you were a dish of china, pottery, ironstone, fiestaware, what would you be and why??? What do your dishes say about you? Your coveted china pieces? Would you be a fragile bone china dematasse cup and saucer sprinkled with violets? Or a rock solid and sturdy tin spatterware coffee pot? What about cheap and practical TexasWare? Or my fav for everyday...15 multicolored plastic plates for 1.50 from Wal-Mart. I do have a cabinet of Havilland Limoges Louis IV bone china too....I am a mixture of the cheap crud along with quality lifetime heirloom china.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  7:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I would be my Princess House crystal teapot...it looks fragile and dainty and elegant and is made up of many parts. It is clear so you can see right inside it. Some days it contains sweetness and some days lemon, but the basic ingredient is naturally pretty predictable and good. Sometimes it can be hot and steamy (!) and sometimes icy cold. My teapot may look like it isn't very strong and durable, but you can put it right on a stove burner and the heat doesn't make it crack and it can go right into a hot soapy bath and come out fresh and clean and sparkly everytime. And when it whistles, someone comes running!!!

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile
I would be my Royal Albert Old Roses teacup. It is special to me not only because I love the pattern, but because my sweet daughter bought it for me. It says that I love pretty things to use on a daily basis to make me feel special when I have my daily cup of tea. My teacup says that I am sentimental about things given to me by special people, that I love pretty dishes with a history that can be passed on from generation to generation. It says that family history and being connected are the most important things in the world to me.

But I also love stoneware and have a special mug that I use for my hot chocolate. And a set of 60s Melmac every day dishes would be just fine with me too!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  9:21:21 PM  Show Profile
I would be my everyday dishes (only dishes actually) which are Colonial homestead by Royal. They are my favorite color (green) with cream and have traditonal sturdy looking outsides (the pictures on each piece) but are fragile enough to chip if you arn't careful and take care to love them. They never change..my oldest kids have grown up with those same dishes and I hope to pass them on to the youngest grandchildren someday...and I am not one who loves change. I guess those and my favorite wooden spon with the pumpkin carve at the top of the handle I that is me.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  03:30:41 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm,interesting question!I'll bite.....
What would I be? Well, I suppose my old faithful spatterware tea pots. I have a red one on my stove for daily use and a blue one on my woodstove for when I have a fire going. I also have an old dented blue one from a yard sale that I use solely to melt beeswax.
To me,a boiling teapot represents a brand new start to the day, a source of comfort and warmth, or a smiling sign that friends are coming by.
It means a chance to slow down and reflect, to give me a kick in the pants or to pay special attention to a tummy ache or sore throat.
I take great pleasure in washing and drying it and making it shine.

As for the everyday dishes in my hutch...I love the fiesta ware look blended with mix and match country "painted" pieces.
Most of my electic set of everyday dishes come from, believe it or not:Wal-Mart, the Dollar Store,yard sales or Goodwill!
Because of my classes, I have on hand countless tea cups and soup bowls of all varities to allow us to choose depending on our mood or personalities.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  04:45:36 AM  Show Profile
I guess I would be a piece of hand-thrown pottery, made out of the clay of the earth into something useful and pretty in a non-fru-fru way and sturdy unless mistreated.

My everyday set is a light gray-blue with a glaze that reads mmmmmmm across it. It looks like a design however, and there are shades of light blue, dark blue and a pale green running through it.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  06:42:33 AM  Show Profile
This is an interesting topic. I guess I'm like my everyday dishes, white with a blue rim around the outside, clean lines and sturdy for everyday use. I am also like my copper tea kettle, I have worked hard and not afraid to get a bit dirty, with a few bruises - but clean me up and I really shine.

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  06:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh..., I'm a True Blue Farmgirl. Wow!

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  08:26:40 AM  Show Profile
I would be a piece of Royal Winton Chintz~~ I cant believe the English used it for every day ...I love the chintz and it would pretty much describe me~~ busy with pattern.. I like the pretty patterns, colors, and flowers...
I also love simple china with a single rose -anything floral..
Jan
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  08:48:15 AM  Show Profile
My new yellow stoneware plates. Simple, sturdy, practical . . . sunny, clean. Not too sure how I feel about their size . . . big and roomy. The plates don't fit in the cupboard, quite, and the door doesn't shut all the way. Hmmm . . . time to start a diet.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile
I guess I am my collection of Rose Cameo and Ballerina/Dancing Girl/Cameo Depression Glass.

It's funny, it was meant to be "everyday" ware but I save it for special occassions. We use it at Thanksgiving and I use it for tea parties with the little girls in the neighborhood who do a lot of giggling at tea but are very careful with and serious about the glassware.

I love that they were freebies at movie houses and in various household products like laundry soap but they have endured and are beautiful in their simplicity.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:57:48 AM  Show Profile
I think I would be a white ironstone pitcher. They can be fragile and feminine on the outside, but strong on the inside and practicle. Attractive, but not too fancy. They also blend in well with any other dish-fancy or plain.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  11:09:46 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Oh no. I might have flunked the Farm Girl test here.

I do have a set of everyday dishes that have a red, white and blue Texas flag theme, but they are rarely used. As far as the kitchen goes, I really do lead the life of a male bachelor. Most days for me it is paper plates and plasticware!!! However, I swear that this is my only personal flaw!! (lol)

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  11:52:48 AM  Show Profile
I don't think you flunked Connio....Just shows you are practical

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  12:03:08 PM  Show Profile
This is a little hard to explain it's a type of pottery that our PA sisters will know about. I always call it pennsylvia dutch pottery but I'm what it's really called. It's alomst always hand thrown, think sturdy dishs, clear glaze on whitish grey clay with colbalt blue design.Here a link to a picture of what I 'm trying to expalin www.crockerfarm.com/Items/wvpc01.htm
This was hard to find. But this is my Favorite pottery. It's from where I come from, I feel very connected to it.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  12:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Does Milkglass count? If I could choose, I think I'd like to be a Milkglass Vase...I love the milky white color, the dotted designs...and they cast a warm glow when a candle is lit inside. I've been collecting it for years. Other than that, I can't commit to one particular kind. It depends on my mood. When I'm settling down to work on a long art project, I like an oversized handmade mug...you know the kind with the special dent for your thumb? But then there are also times when I want to drink from a dainty cup from England, sipping tea. Otherwise, I don't know a whole lot about china.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  7:01:32 PM  Show Profile
I have a copper ea kettle too!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  9:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Melissa -- I love that pottery. I've seen it before but never knew what it was called. Wouldn't mind having a set of that for my kitchen either.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  08:29:06 AM  Show Profile
I haven't really identified with any china or pottery personally until just recently when I "craved" some from my childhood.

I posted pictures at my blog: http://www.farmstyle.blogspot.com

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  09:03:47 AM  Show Profile
Clare how fun that you started a blog. I want to start one also, one day.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  12:26:10 PM  Show Profile
This is such fun! I would be my Heartland stoneware, pretty enough for company yet practical enough for everyday use and abuse. This set of dishes is special because they were a gift from my parents nearly 20 years ago and I still use them everyday, display some on my dining room hutch and never fail to smile when I see the farm scene. Mom and Dad always knew my heart would be in the country even when hubby and I moved to the city as newlyweds. Many years later still stuck in the city apartment this gift of dishes cheered my heart and helped me to make our apartment feel as cozy and warm as "home" always was. They've traveled with us from city to village and finally to the country where hubby and I truly belong! ;)

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  1:03:23 PM  Show Profile
I would like to be like my Blue Onion Corelle. Hard to break, smooth, easy on the hands. I have had other plates and bowls, but they are the ones I always reach for. I like the Corelle stoneware for mugs. And of course there is nothing like the looks of blue and white dishes. I have loved them all my life, I cried when I was 4 because Mom wouldn't spend $5 on an apple box full of blue and white china. My ML made up for it and got me the whole set of Liberty Blue for the Bi-centennial. She got a set for 18 with everything, all the serving pieces, including the tea pot. Which got broken, but I still have the lid.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Clare, Your dinnerware speaks of you...simple, lovely,practical and down to earth. I love the colors of the briar stoneware! I tried to post a comment on your blog but the blog god said I had an incorrect password and would not let me So, I am posting it here. I have some little cream colored cheese plates with etched drawings of different style wineglasses and wine varieties that speak to me. I got them at a Williams Sonoma clearance table for 75% off a few years back. I guess I should start a topic on Dinnerware/china/pottery anoynmous club...it's always been a big draw for me.

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  12:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Mine would be my Royal Albert Old Country Roses!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  3:37:10 PM  Show Profile
It would have to be the six little saucers, brown glazed pottery with gold leaves on them, from my childhood teaset. I would have been about 4 years old when my parents entrusted the teaset with me. Over the years the daintier pieces were broken or lost, but these have been with me for 43 years now. I guess I am a bit like them- loyal, sturdy, plain enough to mix in, yet with a touch of glimmer...
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  3:39:54 PM  Show Profile
HI MOLLYMAE!!!! Where have you been hiding girl? We miss ya!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What kind of china or pottery are you? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page