Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What kind of china or pottery are you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What kind of china or pottery are you? Next Topic
Page: of 2

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  11:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Hehe hi Meadowlark! I miss you guys too! Been going through some issues in life that have emotionally prevented me from doing much lately internet wise, but I think I'm back for good! I need you guys too much!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm?I would have to say it depends on my mood. I have bone china tea cups, HOmer Laughlin,"Pastoral" (it has farm scences on it; cream with soft green picture)tea cups, fiestaware, and inexpensive mugs from the dollar sore. I have tea cups I use more in the spring than the fall and vise-versa. I have a tea cup that my dad gave me that I use when I am feeling melancoly. Mugs when I just want to curl up and be cozy. Regardless of the cup, I always have my chocloate!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  2:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I have not heard of Homer Laughlin....does he paint the farm scenes? They sound beautiful!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  2:32:58 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Molly Mae

I am so glad that you are back. I am certain that you know that the Farm Girl tribe is always ready to lend love and support.

Right Girls!!!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  9:03:27 PM  Show Profile
i like white 'ironstone' .. goes with almost all heavier dishes or stands alone .. can be used alone for a more 'simple' all white table .. it's durable .. each olde piece has it's own history .. and you add your own as you use it.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  11:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I have portmeirion botanical garden dishes, they are so pretty, that I could be one of those flowers any day, they have so many different botanicals flowers on them I could be a different one every day.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  06:56:06 AM  Show Profile
I have blue willow for everyday and I love the teapot! It's round roly poly shape (like me!) can fill 4 good sized mugs or 6 teacups so there is always plenty to share!

My good dishes are Royal Tonquin staffordshire(cranberry) that has a victorian house/scene I just love and they are dishes I started collecting by finding 18 pcs. for 9.00 at a flea market when I was first married.These dishes are my victorian fantasy life!

From my Mom I have a whole set of Liberty Blue that I have on display in a Welsh cupboard type hutch and I remember us getting all the different pieces week after week at the market during the bicentennial so they hold a very special place in my heart! NIce to hear that they made their way west too Westfork Woman!

My Gran left me a giant collection of Rosepoint w/ the flowers (Raised rim white dish with center spring of pink, blue, yellow green flowers) that my husband thinks is too "girlie!" so I use them for
girl stuff!

Shirley- I love Portmerion Botanical too and have a few serving pieces , they are great and wear like iron! I have a friend who has them and I tease her I come to visit her dishes!

Melissa_ That type of pottery was common throughout the Northeast(PA, NJ, NY, CT) in it's time and is also known as salt glaze stoneware. The blue ornamentation comes from cobalt. I have a few old crocks similar to your reference that my Mom collected, but prices are too rich for me, so I have collected reproductions that have been more affordable. Check out Rowe pottery, David Eldreth (he's in PA) and also does Salt glaze w/ the blue santas annually that my husband gives me when he can find them . They are done in his own style but remind you of sort of new age chocolate molds if that makes sense!
There is also a potter Anne Fritsch Martin who does some really nice salt glaze w/ cobalt crockery, pots, etc for a living history museun in New York state, She's a sweetheart and will do custom orders for things if you ask also.We used to do a three day artisian show and she would have made someone a whole set of dishes that she would bring with her as well! She made a crock for me when my son was born and I just love it! Hope that gives you some leads if you want to add to your collection!

Incase you are all wondering...yes, I am a dish junkie! Or as this thread started... I have multiple personality dish disorder!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  09:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bramble, Thanks for the info. I understand the salt glaze technique, never done it myself but when you love to hang out and play in cermanic sutdios you pick up things. Now I know what this pottery is called. I have two big, old crocks that the studio that I worked in, in LA were getting rid of so I snatched them up before anyone else could . Other than that My everyday dishes are an interpration of that style made by pfaltzgraff. But I would love to some of the real thing. Unfortunitly I seem to always pick the expensive stuff to like.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile
They sure did, Bramble. Albertsons had them, I wanted them so bad, but decided I just couldn't afford them. Every time I went to the store it almost killed me looking at them, on Christmas when I opened the box you could have knocked me over with a feather. I don't know how my MIL got them, because we almost always went to the store together. Christmas dinner is about the only time we use them, but just looking at them in the china cabinet makes me happy. We inherited 2 other sets from my MIL. One is Homer Laughlin's Brittany pattern, a really pretty white with burgundy rims, with flowers and gold trim. We have a granddaughter named Brittany, so they will go to her. The other set is a pink and gold set from the 60's. Very elegant. Both sets are for 18, she must have liked big parties. This dish thing is a disease, I have run out of wall space in my kitchen for hanging blue dishes, and the china cabinet is full.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  05:31:04 AM  Show Profile
Glad to know you've got this too! I wonder what it is that makes us drawn to so many different types of dishes? Mine is a family attachment in part, but the others are all me! Albertson's here is still called Acme but that is where we bought them too! What a nice MIL! The Liberty Blue platter is Washington Crossing the Delaware which is right nearby. We have gone to the re- enactment a few times on Christmas Day and it certainly makes you think about what harsh conditions they endured. A teacher once asked my son how he knew so much about colonial America and his response was "Have you seen my Grammy's dishes?"

Sqrl-Lucky you to have gotten the two crocks !I too seem to have what my Mom referred to as "Champagne taste and a beer budget!" Keep looking though, I get lucky every once in a while, I bought an old Heinz pickle crock for 10.00 a few years ago.

"Doctor, doctor...Give me the news, I gotta bad case of..." dish collecting blues!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  05:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Melissa - go to www.rowepottery.com They have great salt-glazed pottery. I have several pieces and still love them after 20 years. It is a little pricey, but you can also find it on Ebay and here and there for less.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What kind of china or pottery are you? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page