Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Jeesh!! I went to get feed today..just bought 2 bags of layer mash where I always do at the IFA feed store..and it is now $5 more a bag than it was 6 months ago. That really bites!!! $30.35 with tax for two lousy bags!!
When Mona is in milk I do save money by buying bulk hog mash..at half the price with my own bag by the 100 lb bag from the same place. It is only missing the calcium so I make sure the hens get clabbered milk..which they love anyhow. But right now, with Mona dry for awhile until she calves I will stick to the lay mash through summer. I will be supplementing their feed from the house alot more let me tell ya!!
Is it up that much everywhere else? I mean 50% ..wow!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- we are feeling the pinch too......in the last 6 months the layer pellet I feed my chickens has gone from 9.99 to 12.99 and the feed store was saying that it will probably be going up again real soon. Thank goodness it is summer and there are lots of goodies for me to feed them from the garden. I would stock up except the mice would get into the bags.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Is here, up from $14/bag to $18. That is for organic mind you. They get tons of greens and grass clippings this time of year and additional oyster shell, but come winter that is really going to hurt!

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:46:30 PM  Show Profile

I thought it was me not paying attention but the same thing here in Colorado..... The bags are almost double in price but I think the quality is less - the smell is just not right. I am scouting around to find other sources and may stock pile some seeing how everything is going up put my profits. I told the girls to fill up on grasshoppers but they love their crumbles. Might have to sell a kidney or something to afford the feed bills around here.

Would not give up my girls for the world or a kidney.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Nope...I feel the same way...I will find some way to feed and keep my girls too. The layer mash I use has gone up from 9.75 to 15.00 a bag.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  05:48:16 AM  Show Profile
Yep mine has gone up to cant tell you how much right off the top of my head but I buy pig food ,dog food, cat food, and layer and I think it all has gone up I have to take a 100 dollar bill just to get all the feed we need. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Ga Girl on Jul 20 2008 05:48:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Yep, bagged feed here in SW Utah has gone much higher. Couple that with the fact that we're at least 17 miles from the nearest feed store.

One thing I do is scrape up all the "alfalfa leavings" at the haystack and feed that to the chickens. They get weeds, kitchen scraps, glass clippings, their own egg shells, and any thing else we think they'll eat.

My attitude is "if they don't eat it, the bugs it attracts will become food for the chickens".

This year alfalfa for the horses and sheep is 11.25 a bale (120 lb bales) and we'll go through about 500 bales over the year. With higher chicken feed costs added in, we'll be coaxing Mom to raise her egg prices, even though she gets to keep all the money for herself.

Occasionally, when we run short of funds, she tosses a twenty our way to help, so can't really complain.

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Our feed prices have gone up alot too. I was shocked when I went to buy it last time but 2 bags was almost $30. Mine are eating everything else I can think to feed them--garden scraps, kitchen scraps, weeds, etc.

We're lucky we raised so much hay this year. The cows will be fine but some people around us are not that lucky. People are selling their cows and horses because they can't afford to feed them.

The higher prices at the grocery stores are also becoming very noticeable here.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Alot of people here are selling critters since they can't afford to feed them too. Even the dog food I buy (40 lb. Pedigree) is up a few dollars just in the past couple weeks.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  06:10:11 AM  Show Profile
That's bad, Jenny! I don't recall what ours was the last time I bought, but honestly, because of prices being so high, I have backed way off on the amount of feed the chickens get and have really upped the table scraps and foraging oppertunities. Their production is down a bit (of course it doesn't help that I have 5 setters right now) but I still have plenty for our fam, and I'm saving a few $$s.

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  08:58:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad my chickens and ducks free-range so I don't have to feed them quite so much. Some of the price increase is probably due to gas prices, but more of it has to do with corn and other commodities' prices. With all the ethanol and biodiesel plants cropping up, less corn and beans are available for animal and people food, so that doesn't help us in the grocery store. Last year when my parents sold their beans, the price was $9 a bushel. Corn is worth a lot too, so farmers are planting as much as they can. But with the flooding this year, a lot of crops were ruined, so I expect the price to go up even higher. Next year I think I am going to plant a variety of grains for my animals. I have noticed not only how much of a price increase there has been in dog and cat food, but pay close attention! They are also putting less in the bag. I used to buy Purina Dog Chow in the 50 lb. bags- now the bags are 44.1 lbs. I'm afraid things are going to get worse before they get better.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4268 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4268 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile
last time I got laying mash it was 20 bucks for 100 pounds. Almost every week it goes up. I also give my girls a scoop of oats. I used to think 10.95 was high for mash. When will it all end???

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Before our neighbors moved, she would include us in her feed runs. It was SO NICE paying 15.00 for 100 pounds

Not sure where her source came from

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:52:37 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I haven't heard the term "clabbered" milk for absolutely ages. My grandmother used to put her "extra" milk in one of her large pails on the woodstove where it would sit until it curdled. Is that how you make yours? She used to also make cottage cheese, but I was so young that I can't remember how that's done.

I'm sorry to hear your chicken mash has gone up so drastically. Gotta do it to get the eggs though.

Thanks for the good memory.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jul 22 2008 09:53:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile
Yes...I do the clabbered milk just that way to make cottage cheese, but for the hens I put it in a big pail in the barn and let it sit a day or so...it is usually hot enough to clabber just sitting out. In winter time I may have to bring it in the house this year though...we will be having our milking season start late this year.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Alseafarmgal
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Rebecca
Alsea OR
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I just paid $23.50 for 50# of organic layer pellets. One of my girls just laid their first egg yesterday. Yee ha....fresh eggs!

Becky

"Live your Dreams"

www.renfrophotography.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken food sticker shock Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page