gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  9:32:31 PM  Show Profile
I would like to tell the rest of the farmgals about what I learned a year or two ago about cleaning leaf lettuce fresh from the garden. This very old ( 95 +) lady said that when you bring the lettuce in first place it into a sink of HOT tap water, stir it around some to get the bugs ( earwigs & etc.) out of the leaves then drain the hot water out and run COLD water in and finish the washing. This will kill the bugs and most of them will be drained out when the hot water is gone. The heat will not wilt the lettuce. I also clean Swiss Chard the same way.Hope this will help others as it has helped me.

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  05:13:25 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the hint!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Rainier01
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Leslie
Eatonville WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:07:27 PM  Show Profile
I also am careful to twist off the roots full of dirt and leave them in the garden, this keeps a lot of the dirt from coming into the house in the first place. I shake the leaves upside down in the garden too, any bugs, dirt, grass, whatever falls off then usually.

Then I rinse in a bowl of water, a handful at a time, drain in a colander, and spread out the leaves on a double layer of paper towling. Roll it up loosely and put in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge for 1/2 hour to 24 hours -- the leaves stay crisp and just unroll what you want for your salad.

"It's Good, Clean, Dirt!"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cleaning leaf lettuce Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page