Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Starter bread question Next Topic  

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  3:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Okay, it has been years since I have made friendship bread but have some starter. The instructions call for using non-metallic utensils for mixing but nowhere does it say non metal for the baking pan. I am thinking I need to bake in non-metal.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2329 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2329 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  7:45:49 PM  Show Profile
My daughter gave me some of this starter once; it baked just fine in an ordinary metal cake pan.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile
I just got the stuff to bake mine today, and mine specifed for a non-metal loaf pan - so I got some Pyrex ones. I dont know if it really matters, but it sure seemed like a good excuse to splurge on some new kitchen gadgets :) Enjoy your bread!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  07:22:36 AM  Show Profile
I use metal pans for it but my directions don't specify anything about the baking being in non-metal.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:42:11 AM  Show Profile
I have some starter bread doing its thing right now, and the instructions do say no metal for mixing or baking either. I have a glass pan I plan to use. I did not have any self rising flour, so I used the MJ biscuit mix. I am hoping it works as well, but my daughter said it has salt in it, and that is true, and the salt may not work in this batter....I will see, I guess....I may have ruined my starter. But I am going to bake it up and see if it works! MAybe when I add the next round of ingredients, I will buy a small bag of self-rising.

I just noticed all the posts are from everywhere in the country! New York, Utah, Florida, California....wow that batter sure gets around! How does one start it in the first place other than getting it from a friend?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 17 2008 11:43:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2329 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2329 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:21:04 PM  Show Profile
I believe self-rising flour has salt in it, too. It's what works with the baking powder and baking soda to make it rise.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  12:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh good! Then maybe my batch will be okay! It seems to be doing alright so far. Thanks, Judith!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  4:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, I think you really have to find someone who already has the starter, I did check out a web-site yesterday and you can buy the dry starter mix from them.
http://www.armchair.com/recipe/amish/amish.html
I'm wondering if there is a way I could mail you some? I am going to have some to give away in about five days, but then, you have to mush it up for a certain number of days and who would do that for us? Maybe I could add a note that all the postal workers who handled it had to give it a good mush before sending it on!!!
Angie

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Starter bread question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page