clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  07:23:00 AM  Show Profile
Great topic! My hubby and I always laugh at how our 'camping' has evolved. While in our 20's we tent camped. Our 30's we bought a pop-up camper--the last thing we could do and still call it camping. When we hit our 40's (and had kids in the mix) we bought a mini-motorhome and have NEVER regretted it! We travel with it all the time and with gas prices what they are, we just travel a bit closer. The kids adore it. We still have that tent from our 20's (it's packed in the motorhome), and we'll take the kids tent camping when there a bit older, but at this stage of our life, it's nice to be off the ground!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  09:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Celeste.....Sounds like you have traveled a similar kind of camping journey that we have (as I wrote in my last post!).....We still love to cook outside and have a small grill we us for that (on cold/wet days we are glad to have the inside stove and oven though).

We have enjoyed using it to travel and for going fly fishing, etc. When we were younger and used our tents we loved it as well! We still enjoy hiking and doing all the other camping things we used to do. My husband has always been a real outdoorsman but at this point in our lives we really enjoy having a shower and a comfortable bed to sleep on........... especially on long travel trips which still feels like camping out because we love going to places where we stay right on the beaches or in Forests!!! When we have Grandkids, we will set up the tents again for them!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  5:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I went camping with my daughter for the first time last month.
We went tent camping, and used an air matress and sleeping bags.
I/we LOVED it. Despite our noisy "neighbor".
We went camping in Chippewa Falls, WI with some friends.
We also had propane Coleman stove, and a campfire.
There were flushies and showers at the campground we stayed at, which is perfect for me.

I will definitely do it again! Only I will have to invest in a better quality tent.
The one I used was purchased on 90% clearance for ten bucks at Target a few years ago, and suposedly slept 4-6 people.
Um, no, it was barely big enough for me and my petite daughter. And it wasn't the best quality either. But for ten bucks, it sufficed for the weekend.
Lauren can play with it in the back yard with her friends. It pops up easily, and if it gets wrecked, not such a huge loss.

I don't mind getting dirty or wearing bug spray to bed. But I was glad I had a real toilet to use, a sink to brush my teeth and wash my face, and a hot shower in the morning.

My son "doesn't do outside" so he went to Grandma and Grandpa's-protesting the entire time, because he thinks he can stay home alone all weekend. (foolish boy)

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jul 16 2008 5:47:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  5:57:37 PM  Show Profile
I love to camp, hence my name!! Anyway, we started out in a tent. Sleeping on cots, cooking over a campfire or propne stove. We bought a tiny 5th wheel camper two years ago. It was nice with all the amenities. Just this past spring we sold it! I know some of ya think we're crazy. But it was too tiny for my hubby. He's 6'2". We are going back to our tent. Which I dearly love. Just take me camping that's all I ask. We started Rendevouz-ing. So we're on the lookout for a wall tent. I guess we'll be tenting til we're old! But that's ok by me!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I used to love camping as a kid. We'd go every summer with dad. My dad has always believed it isn't really camping unless it's in a tent, good campfire, no running water, no electric and at least what "seems" to be a 1/2 mile from the outhouse. And he had one very strict rule before bedtime-- Put all the food in the cab of the truck and the trash to the wastebin before ya go to sleep. If ya didn't the coons would have it all and you'd have nothin for beakfast in the mornin.

Now that I'm a little older, the cold ground isn't so forgiving on my bones and I always get so cold at night. Yes even if it's 90 degrees I'm freezing. Well I might not have the cold problem now that the hot flashes have kicked in. I'll just load up on caffeinated sodas and lots of chocolate before bed time and my furnace should kick in full steam.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  06:59:30 AM  Show Profile
My boys and I camp too. We have a small (really) Viking pop-up that I tow w/my Subaru Forester. It has no electric but I run an extension cord when we are at the state parks. I cook over both the open fire and on a propane stove. We have a small fridge in the camper that makes it really easy for extended stays. We did the tent thing for a LONG time, even when my youngest was still in the backpack...but I hurt my back and that sleeping on the cold, hard ground is for the critters not me! When I go alone, I've taken the tent and I have a small backpack cot I set up in it with my air mattress on top of that. We just got back from 3 days at Pokagon State Park in Indiana. Fun! No rain. BONUS!

--I am grateful. I have enough.--
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile
We're campers too! I've always camped, since I was a little one so it was fitting for us to take our children camping. We started out in tents. Took our girls since they were infants. I remember nursing them inside the tents (glad those days are over!) Now that dh has a back injury, we've upgraded to a pop-up. It does have all terrain tires on it, so we can pretty much camp anywhere.

We do camp in luxury, but I'm finicky when we do camp. I don't like hearing my neighbors radio when I camp or having blazing lights at night. I want to hear nature and see the stars! I love cooking in my dutch oven over the open fire.

I have to admit, I do like having the potty inside the pop-up now. Makes those middle of the night potty breaks much easier on us girls!

I didn't realize we had so many pop-up and trailer campers here!
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  06:49:31 AM  Show Profile
My dh and his family have a hunting cabin about 12 miles from our house. (the rest of our family all lives "down state, under the bridge") We live in the Ottawa National forest so sometimes just being at home can feel like camping. However we can take the kids to the cabin for a few days of even more peace and quiet. I have a friend of mine, who bought land up here with a very old house on it. The house had no windows, no heat, no water..a really handymans dream home. He finally made the big move and brought up the kids and wife, rigged a shower out side and did one window at at time. Some friends had come up this way for vacation and stopped by their new "homestead" and ask his wife if she would like to go camping. she replied loudly " I AM CAMPING!".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic CAMPING Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page