Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Salt water for weeds Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  8:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I can't remember exactly where I read this. I think it was on here somewhere. But I had read that rock salt and water made a safe alternative to weed killer. I mixed some up a couple of weeks ago and sprayed it around the house today. I was wondering if any of you have tried this. Did it work and how long did it take for the weeds to start dying off?

Thanks~
Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  9:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The only thing I would say is be careful with this as it will actually sterilize your soil. You know the old saying about "salting the earth"- it can take several years for the salt to leach away if you use too much. This will kill good plants and bad and also all the micro organisms in the soil as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  01:18:10 AM  Show Profile
oh it works alright, but you don't want it to be in any area where you intend to plant anytime soon that is for sure.
oh the weeds will die off in about a week at the most.
I do not recommend this unless you do not intend to plant anything for quite a while in the area.
One thing you can do..as soon as you see the weeds dying..dig them up..along with any of the remaining rock salt(if you have spread it in "chunks" to avoid it having a longer effect on the soil..so..as soon as you notice that it has "done the trick" immediately shovel it up as soon as possible.
I only recommend this method if you won't be planting anything anytime soon in the area..like in areas like walkways, or directly up against the edge of a house where weeds are a problem and an edger cannot get to..but definitely not in areas of yard where you wish to have a flower bed or garden area.And be careful around other plants that you wish to keep as the run off will kill them as well.
-----------
Best of wishes with your "attack on the weeds"

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  07:42:23 AM  Show Profile
I think even Roundup would be a more earth-friendly way to deal with weeds than this, for all tje reasons stated. It would be more expensive, of course. What about vinegar? That would have an impact on soil quality too, of course, but not as much as rock salt.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  08:25:35 AM  Show Profile
I use vinegar and water on the weeds growing along the shoulder of the street crushed gravel in front of my house. It works the same as Weed-B-Gone. I tested them both last year & saw the same results. We would need 3 big containers of Weed-B-Gone to do one application along the street, so the vinegar way is much cheaper & safer for us. Good luck on finding a safe way to zap your weeds.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  08:46:55 AM  Show Profile
I have weeds growing in my driveway (in the cracks in the pavement) How do I do the vinegar treatment? Should I mix it with water? just pour it on? spray it? plain old white vinegar?

Any help would be great!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  5:10:22 PM  Show Profile
I know some people mix the vinegar, but I just put it full strength in a spray bottle (used only for this), and spray the weeds. You do need to be careful not to get it on anything you want to keep! I use it on my walkways.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  07:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I didn't realize salt water was all that strong. I have only used it once and just right up against the house and around my a/c unit. I thought about Round Up, but thought again. Ruby, my lil ankel biter, and Hallie don't know how to keep their noses out of places they don't belong. I guess I was thinking the salt water would be a better alternative with those two in mind.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  08:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The salt water, in my opinion, is better than roundup since it isn't a chemical. If you don't want anything to grow there it should be fine. I use the vinegar and water around here (trying to fight a monster infestation) and it seems to be doing a good job.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  1:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Salt is a chemical -- remember your Periodic Table of the Elements? -- but I know what you mean. Still, I think vinegar is a more ecologically thrifty choice. But I've been surprised by my ignorance on more than one occasion, so I'm thinking I'd better ask the extension agent about this one before I try to pass myself off as knowing what I'm talking about! I do remember trying full-strength white vinegar on some weeds around my office, and the weeds won. Maybe I didn't saturate the weeds enough, or maybe it rained afterward; I don't remember.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Salt water for weeds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page