Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Budget Mix - trying something new
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Budget Mix - trying something new Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  4:26:50 PM  Show Profile
My daughter gave me some of that starter mix that goes around the country - you feed it, squeeze it, and keep it for two weeks, and then make bread and share the rest with friends. I have heard it called Hermann, Amish Bread, Friendship Bread......

Anyway, I decided, instead of feeding it self rising flour, I would try MJF budget mix flour and see what it does. After all, it has self-rising ingredients in it. Will let you know if it works!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  11:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Oooh, what a neat idea! Keep us posted on this one, Jeannie!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  5:05:42 PM  Show Profile
There is this lady where my hubby works
She was doing the Amish bread thingy'
She sent me some
It was really good. pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  6:06:17 PM  Show Profile
I have loved the loaf that my daughter gave me with the starter. When you spread some butter on a slice of it, it is yum yum.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  6:03:58 PM  Show Profile
SUCCESS!!!!! MaryJane's budget mix works like a charm with the amish, friendship bread batter that is exchanged all across the country! Today I baked four loaves, and it is delish. I did not have enough interested friends :( to exchange all my divides with, so I baked a double batch, gave one batter bag away, and will keep one to keep feeding. But the budget mix is great, and makes light and fluffy loaves!!!! Do not bother with buying store bought self-rising flour - use MJ's budget mix instead!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  7:01:04 PM  Show Profile
I was so tired of that awhile back but boy does it sound good again now. Maybe I will have to start some up myself...and I think using the budget mix is a great idea Jeannie!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  7:25:40 PM  Show Profile
If we lived close, I would boogie a bag over to you Jenny!!! Along with a loaf fresh out of the oven.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 18 2008 7:26:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  9:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh wouldn't that be fun??? YOu would have to sit a spell and have lemonade and visit with Mona!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  07:12:11 AM  Show Profile
I probably never would have thought of that. Like you, Aunt Jenny, I got tired of it when I had it a few years ago. But now Rose just got some and when she does her dividing, I'll take one and try it with MJ's budget mix. I have both white and whole wheat, so I'll do both eventually.

Thanks for the tip, Jeannie!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  07:15:19 AM  Show Profile
One thing I found that I had to do different.....the budget mix I have is whole wheat, and I had to add 1/2 cup more to the final batter before baking. My recipe called for 2 cups self rising, and I used 2 1/2 cups budget mix to get the batter thick enough.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  05:45:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh, good to know. Thanks, Jeannie.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

IMDBLJ
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jennifer
Mineral VA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  6:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Send IMDBLJ a Yahoo! Message
Just so you know, you can freeze the starter if you don't have anyone to give it to. Just remember to mark one of your bags as your last one so you know to use it to make more. I just put them in ziploc sandwich baggies. They didn't freeze solid because of the sugar/fermentation but they always worked great.
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  2:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
This really sounds interesting to me........Many moons ago when we lived in D.C. a friend gave us some starter for Fruit Compote (sort of a sauce with large pieces of fruit)...it was like fermented fruit that was DELICIOUS on ice cream!! I know you could make the starter by fermenting the fruit yourself ...... it was such a nice thing to bring as a little friendship offering in a nice jar. Anyhoooooo, my Question is.....can you buy or make the Bread Starter to pass along???

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  2:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
....In case my question was not to clear after I rambled before it.................................I don't have any of the Bread Starter sooooooo do I have to have someone give it to me or can I buy or make the starter?

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  2:38:56 PM  Show Profile
I love the taste of Friendship bread. It's very yummy. I made homemade buttermilk doughnuts from the Budget Mix Wednesday night for my son's birthday party. They were delicious, light on the inside and crisp on the outside, just as they should be. I did have to use more Budget Mix than what flour was called for, but still, they were easy-peasy and a big hit. Yay, Maryjane Budget Mix comes through again. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  1:22:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a somewhat goofy question - can the budget mix be made from scratch at home? I just wonder if it is like bisquick.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  1:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Ohhhh Kimberly.....I asked almost the same question! Hope we get an answer cause I would love to have some of the starter mix that they were talking about that is "going around".....I don't know anyone here who has the starter and so I was also wondering ~~~~ Where do we START (or can we start it outselves???!!! :)

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  1:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann,
I think that when I read the most recent issue of Small Town Living, http://www.stliving.net/ , that I saw some recipes that would be of interest of you. I also want you to know that the magazine features an article featuring our very own "Aunt Jenny" who was the July Farmgirl of the month! It was a great issue. So when you have a little free time you should check it out.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Budget Mix - trying something new Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page