lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  03:55:43 AM  Show Profile
How do YOU freeze your corn off the cob? Do you cut it off first or blanch it first, then cut? If you cut it off first, do you add things to it while cooking like sugar, salt, milk, butter, etc? I had a load of corn to freeze this weekend and it seemed like everyone I talked to did it just a little differently. So how do you do it?

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  07:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Toni-I blanch mine on the cob, throw it in ice water, cut it off the cob and freeze. I don't add anything to the water.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  1:49:03 PM  Show Profile
We do a simple recipe. Cut the corn off the cob, mix in salt and water, and then freeze. I think it is pretty good. don't have the recipe right now, still at work.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  1:56:52 PM  Show Profile
I just blanch mine like Lillian does. But right before I seal them in the freezer container I add some melted butter to the container. That way I can just take it straight from the frezzer to the pot or microwave and it is good to go! Sometimes I will make creamed corn and pulse half of it up in the food processor a little with the butter, a pinch of sugar and small spot of half and half. Then freeze it. I am sorry I don't have a better more exact recipe. I cook from the heart and my taste buds.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  4:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies! The first batch, I blanched first, then just cut it off the cob and bagged it. The next bunch I cut it off first, then just heated it on the stove for a few minutes and bagged it. After a little scorched corn, I began adding water to it, and cooking for about 10 minutes, then once cooled, bagged. I went through 11 dozen ears this weekend. The woman I talked to at the market said she cuts it off, seasons it with salt, sugar, milk and butter, then bags it. That sounds good, but I wasn't sure about the milk part. I also didn't want to season it too much, since I don't necessarily know what type of recipe it is going into. I definately think we have enough corn to last us through the year!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing corn off the cob Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page