Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Embracing who I am.. Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
For real. For years, I have had deep seeded body issues due mainly to the fact that I was very aware and often told I did not live up to my sister's perfect tall, thin body, alabaster skin and blonde hair. I was always told I was adopted because I didn't look at all like my family and my darker skin was made fun of. I will spar you the bigotry ladened words often used to describe me and yes, by my own family. This lead me on many paths of destruction to somehow make myself "look" right. I spent years bleaching my hair, working myself into an impossible thin frame, using colored contacts to lighten my eyes and yes, even "bleaching" my skin to appear lighter in skin tone and I even considered surgery to make my very full lips thinner and to make my cute button nose thinner. And you know what? I was looking at pics of myself and I don't know who that girl is. What was I thinking?

This past year, my hair is back to its normal medium brown, my skin in tanned, my eyes are now golden brown again and I embrace my curves. I finally am embracing the "exotic" side to my look. I have a great friend who is of Latino heritage and she really has helped me love and appreciate the way I look. I've stopped being ashamed of what I look like and actually, I stand out even more, but in a good way now.

The things we do to unlove ourselves. I hope you all love yourselves everyday. I try to teach young girls around me by example and not to judge based on looks alone. I encourage education, self appreciation and love of all. I really do not another woman or girl to feel this way.

Have you loved yourself today???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Heather, Thanks for sharing that story it is very touching. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I watched a movie with Adam Sandler titled "Spanglish" about 6 months ago...it's an old release, but looked pretty interesting. At a key point in the movie, the narrator muses on how unlike the Hispanic culture, the American culture tries to hide/demolish everything about their bodies that is God given...that we overwork ourselves to conform to the American idea of what is beauty. Until then, I overworked myself; but, then I realized that we're supposed to have curves--we have beautiful babies that give them to us! After googling a bit, I also found that the majority of the Earth's cultures revere a woman with curves. I used to run until my blisters have blisters--now I just run for fun...and I feel sooo much better! I'm Greek/Armenian/Italian, and those cultures are allllllllll curvy & exotic cultures, so I figure, God gave me these talents, I better use them before he gets mad!!!!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm learning to be me, even at my age! Truly learning to love yourself, after having a family that is full of nuts, is hard but it can be done.

Thanks for the post!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I have never seen you don't need to. You are a beauty. You have served our country, have a darling son. a hubby who is also answering the call, and a strong will and sense of self. PLus you are a Longhorns fan \___/!! Hook em!! What more could you ask for??
((HUGS!!))
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I spent a lot of time in the Middle East, South America and the Meditteranean and for the first time, I saw women who looked like me, who I could relate too and it finally set me free. I am Italian/German/American Indian and I finally embraced that.Sophia Loren is my ALL time heroine and I watch movies of her and I can so relate to how she feels when in a movie she is not the "cookie cutter" female that is expected but always wins the man. I am spending time right now reading about my own background and cultures and I too, have found it quite freeing. Right now, I am fascinated with the Brazillian women who are all goddesses to me. They embrace themselves with a fire I have never seen in any other culture. Curvy and exotic...that is me!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Lisa and everyone..you make my heart smile!!! HOOK 'EM!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  9:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Awww, Heather, you are so beautiful, on the inside, as well as the outside.

About five years ago, I too went through this. I was heavier then, but still knew I "had it". I am curvy too, always have been. I was never rail thin. I decided I am beautiful no matter what, and "they" were the one with the problem, not me.

One blind date once told me that he admired how confident I am. Which of course made my heart do a cartwheel-the good kind.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  06:51:51 AM  Show Profile
I believe the term we are looking for is "AMPLE"!

From the dictionary definition....sufficient or more than adequate for the purpose or needs; plentiful; enough

Synonyms: generous, free, abounding, lavish, plenteous, overflowing

--I am grateful. I have enough.--
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  08:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Heather-Good for you!

My simple philosophy is basically that this is the way God made me, and God doesn't make junk :) Nobody is going to remember me for how I looked, but rather what I contributed and who I impacted and/or blessed while I was on this earth.

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Boy Heather.. Did I ever need this today - thanks for the reminder...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  6:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather! I was talking to someone the other day and she asked me if I would like to look now like I did at 25 years of age. No way. I've been there, done that, and now here I am. Right where I'm supposed to be! Blessings to you! Susan
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Embracing who I am.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page