goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm sitting at a truckstop in Ellensburg, WA and hubby and I have been talking about our life from here on in. We are tired of the road but the money is good and we're flat happy to have a job.

But we've been looking all over the western part of the US to put down real roots and call home and actually be a part of the community. So we looked in MT but it's too expensive for us. My hubby suggested Baker City, OR and I have always liked that little twon. So today we stopped in, dropped our trailer and just drove around town. But it's not what we are looking for. Down the interstate a bit is a smaller town that is more what we are looking for. But still, something wasn't right...

Then we got to talking about how where we CAME from, the old little town is very much what we have been wanting. Our household stuff is still in storage in the next largest town and we already know people there. There are plenty of horses around too. But I had trouble fitting in cuz it's kind of a closed society and newcomers aren't made to feel welcome. It's been about 3 years since we lived there (paying storage all this time!) and my hubby thinks that with the way the town is growing, new ideas have come in and I'll make better acquaintances or maybe even friends.

But aside from that, it's gorgeous there...kind of like you want some bad weather just to break up the gorgeous days. Still kind of inexpensive, compared to other areas!

So I talked with some friends on the phone and they all agreed to just give in/up and let it happen.

So after this next load back east (PA), we are taking our days off to really seriously scout around for a spot. We can still work for our company if we can't find local jobs. But I need to nest and help my widowed daughter find her center too. I can't do that from the road.

So, it looks like I should just let it happen. I feel a little trepidation but it feels right in a weird way. Hope it is right.

Anyone else feel like this?? I'd love to know.

Winona

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Ya' know...there's no place like home...

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
ALL THE TIME!!! Seriously, me and hubby are gypsies who follow our hearts and souls in life. We have dreams that seem so NUTS to everyone else but we know are so right for us. I cannot live a life as someone I am not nor can I ignore the rythm beating in my heart for what I want. I know you will follow your heart and find your bliss. (((HUGS)))

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  8:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Winona-

Doug and I moved 750 miles from home just because. We had wanted to live away from all family influences only to realize we really missed and wanted those family influences back. So yeah, I totally know what you mean! We just recently moved much closer to home and it feels so great! Sometimes the right place is there just waiting for us- it's just all in the timing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  07:55:27 AM  Show Profile
Winona, go with your guts/heart (innards I guess! LOL) and next time you're in Ellensburg, wave howdy!

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  08:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Winona- I say follow your heart. Life is too full of coulda/shoulda/wouldas. The only dreams we regret are those we do not follow.

I'd love nothing more than to move out of the suburbs and to a place in the country. That's always been my dream. I just have to convince the hubby, whose idea of roughing it is no mint on his pillow at the hotel!..LOL!

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  10:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Hubby talked to some friends who say that now there are some rent places to be had of a house and five acres. Plus we've been brainstorming and thinking of several jobs we could do. I'm getting seriously burned out on the truck but I'm afraid of being poor and can't eat or being kicked out of a house. So we keep driving but there just comes a time to call it a day. Another friend used to have some acreage for sale but don't know if he has sold it. Another friend has a backhoe biz and another has a tow biz...so surely, in there somewhere is something we can do while staying home.

So at least we have a few options. That's what is so good about this site, I feel I can talk about things and get some good input and support!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile
It sure sounds like you have lots of friends "back home" so maybe the socialization thing is a non-issue and this is the right thing for you to do. I think if it works out, it's meant to be so I am hoping for the best for you.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  11:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have always found that as soon as I Surrender.... Something amazing happens, It is like it frees us up to all kinds of possibilities....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  06:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Having friends in the area is a big plus. You're not going into it all alone. And your stuff is all there already. Sometimes there's just no point in fighting it...
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  6:44:43 PM  Show Profile
As Bon Jovi so aptly puts it, "Who says you can't go back?" Follow your heart. Everything else will follow. Susan
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  7:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you know what you want and are out to get it. Good luck.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sucumbing to my Destiny... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page