Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
ok waht am i doign wrong? suddenly my bread isnt rising properly. it splits instead of the top holding together nicely. the only difference is that i am putting 1/2 cup spelt flour in the recipe and the room temperature isnt as warm as it was a month or so ago since i havent been lighting my wood stove for heat. any ideas????
peace connie in alaska

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  11:56:07 PM  Show Profile
hmmmmm the heat could make a difference for sure....I have never used spelt flour so I can't say what that would do...maybe if you add a little more moisture...like a little butter or an egg.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  05:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Connie- you might need to knead your dough for longer. The Spelt might be reducing the gluten content in your dough. Gluten is what gives the dough the elasticity to hold the bubbles that the yeast make- hence the rising action. It sounds like you dough is bordering on being able to handle the rise, and then splits. Are you using bread flour or all purpose flour?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  2:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup each of wheat bran, oat bran, almond meal flour and spelt (spelt is the only "new" addition. the remainder is bread flour. i will try kneadign it more or more likley just leave the spelt flour out next time and see what happens. it "feels" right but as it is rising it seems to be almost too wet. hmmmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  6:05:37 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm...I don't think that the spelt would have to do with it unless you're kneading it for too long. I've been using spelt flour for awhile now and haven't had an experience where the top has split. I have found, through reading and experience using spelt, that it should be kneaded for no more than 3 minutes and when you mix it up just mix until the ingredients come together. I have never used spelt with any other flour at this point so I suppose it could be that could be something but I'm just not sure.
Have you ever tried using just spelt flour or just spelt with the wheat, oat bran and almond meal? I've found that using all spelt, at least half white spelt and the other whole grain spelt, works very well. I wish you good luck with figuring this out!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Connie - Spelt has a lower gluten content than wheat so that probably has something to do with it. maybe try a batch with your old recipe and see how it turns out, then you'll know if it's the spelt or not
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
a big thanks to everyone. i think the next batch will be without the spelt. i didnt think that little bit would make a difference but maybe it has. i will save the spelt for other things like maybe biscuits? my baking powder biscuits barely get touched after adding the liquid. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page