lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  5:13:15 PM  Show Profile
In planning a 2 year pantry, how do I know I have enough of each item to last 2 years? Is there some rule-of-thumb to go by?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  5:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Funny you mention this Lisa we are in the process of building a 1 year pantry. I have been buying extras every time I grocery shop and slowly building. I to would love to hear what everyone has to say about this. Right now I am planning by writing all of my meals on a calendar so I can see what we really use and how much we eat certin items.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  5:58:32 PM  Show Profile
Keep me updated on how things go I'd like to try to start something like that when I get back on my feet were I can. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  6:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Marie- This may help you plan for the staples. (If the link does not work you can go directly to providentliving.org)It will give you the amounts for your family based on number of people in your household. In my house, for 5 people, I would need 1500 lbs. of wheat, rice, oats, etc. for one year. Not to mention all of the other things I will need like salt, sugar, oils, legumes, beans, powedered milk, meats, veg, fruits- ACK! The list is endless.
Hope you have a big house, girlfriend!!

http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7498-1-4070-1,00.html

I keep my #10 cans of wheat, rice, flour and beans under our house where it is pretty cool in the summer. Food stuffs should be stored at 65 degrees or less. Any more and it begins to break down nutritionally.
Yay for you being prepared!!

Karin

PS- Thanks for the check. I"m glad the $$ came in handy. :)

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  7:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Another thing powdered milk can go rancid. I would keep it in the freezer or fridge. Other wise it will have a "off" flavor when used. Especially in "raw" things, like say cereal and milk. It will be ok rancid for baking a cake or something, but for like say pudding, or cereal and milk etc, you will taste the difference and see a difference in color (slightly off white, rather then being bright white).
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  9:34:46 PM  Show Profile
I would have sent you to the same site as Karin...wonderful info there!
I store only things that we eat so that they get constantly rotated. We use our wheat, rice and oats and other stored grains constantly and I buy alot of the #10 cans of things too...about a gallon size for those who don't know....I feel really lucky to have a cellar to store things in here..since we didn't in Calif..I had canned things and buckets of stuff in every closet, under every bed and tucked in every small space.
As far as how much to store..I figure we need a quart jar of a veggie for every night of the week that we won't have fresh..so I figure that out and store that many jars...there are 6 of us at home and we eat at home most every night. In summer time and some nights the rest of the year we eat fresh, but just add up say...how often you will want corn and store that many cans/jars of corn etc. I always overdo it in some areas (I am always way overstocked on peaches and tomatoes) but understocked on other things (never a years worth of peanut butter or saurkraut..things we love) I am always working on getting it better. I bet you will find alot of answers on the provident living site...there are charts and other helpful things...I love that site.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
you can buy shelf stable powdered milk and other staples in packaging that lasts for many years but you pay for it! . we are in the process of stocking for our retirement years and have friends who are using everyday staples and canned goods that they got in the 70s! most of our staples will just be packed in palstic drums sealed with slicone caulking. one advantage we have is the dry climate in our part of alaska. even tho it rains and snows lots our humidity is very low. another advantage is that we will be living 150 airmiles from other people so there are actually fewer germs! we plan on stocking for a 25-30 retirement. of course this will be supplemented with raising our own veggies and meat and by harvestign off the land. what i am doing is keeping track of how long something lasts in everyday use ie: bread flour vs. unbleached white flour. then mulitplying 1/3 and then by the number of years we want supplied. the reason for us multipying by 1/3 is that we do still eat out occasionally or buy things that we normally wouldnt. i am going to check out that link right now and see how they compare to my ideas. i wonder how they take into consideration things like flour and sugar when those can vary a huge amount family to family. does anyoen know a link that would tell me how much nutrition is actually lost in flour when stored for long periods of time? i called a flour manufacturer and asked ehr and all she could tell me is that FLOUR GETS TOO DRY! uhhhhh how much drier can you get than flour? lol. i want to get a grain grinder but not sure if we will be able to grow wheat. we know we can grow oats. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  05:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great conversation!

We have a Costco membership and I am spending $250 there each month. We don't normally eat that much food each month so our supply is growing a bit here and there. I am really looking forward to buying a stash of MaryJanes Farm food next month. Her food lasts for 2 years so it is perfect for a 2 year stash. And as long as you have a pot to boil water in and a camp stove in case the power goes out- you can cook almost all of her foods!

I too am pretty firm in having our stash be food that we actually eat. I don't need to be learning how to cook with new and different stuff in an emergency!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  10:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody. Karin, that site helps a lot. And THANK YOU! After these past 2 months without buying groceries because of dh injury and workman's comp jerking him around, I have learned the hard way that not only did I not have enough stocked up, but that my pantry is too small! We have a new plan: We're moving the bathroom to an unused bedroom, moving the pantry into the old bathroom (which is off the kitchen) and when we repair the kitchen floor, putting a trap door in the floor for access under the house (for plumbing repairs as well as for food storage). We were going to know the old pantry off the house as it was an addition, but now I'm thinking I'll need to keep it! We'll see. Maybe I'll come up with another storage solution. I don't know if we'll ever need a 2 year supply, but I want to have it anyway; just in case. I don't want to end up in the same position we were in before workman's comp finally came through. After they cut dh a check, we kind of went nuts in the store and came home with tons of the staples. It took me two hours to put everything away.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  10:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa-

We have been in the famine-then-feast situation before as well! Watch out for snacking! That situation let me to gain 20lbs! I think it was a reaction to feeling our food stretch to the breaking point. But isn't a great feeling when you have so much food you aren't quite sure where to put it all? I LOVE that feeling!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
hint- always repackage large bags of flour into plastic containers (barrels,covered tubs etc as the glue in the bags can draw moisture!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  5:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Actually, Alee, it's kind of funny, but none of us is really raiding the kitchen. You would think we would be now that we know it's full. But I guess just knowing that is good enough. And, yes, it feels really good especially since I'm not trying to figure out how to make something for dinner that may or may not taste good!

I buy all my flours, sugars and other baking stuff in bulk. I store everything in those giant popcorn tins and those big tupperware containers meant for cereal. I don't keep anything in the bags I bring it home in.

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  5:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's good, Lisa!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  04:00:28 AM  Show Profile
So here's a quick funny.

There's an old abandoned houe above us that's now being renovated.

Prior to this takeover you could sneak into it and look around and "shop". The house had been abandoned for over 20 years and looked like the people have just been vaporized. There was junk EVERYWHERE both inside, and full to the ceilings in all the barns and out buildings. The junk was 40 or more years worth of a family's accumumated unwanted "stuff".

On one foray, hubby and I opened the huge chest freezer and discovered 2 large bags FULL of unopened sea ration pound cake! Just the cakes, no other sea ration meals.

They still had a bit of squish to them, but when opened, looked more like a very sad scrubbing sponge.

Needless to say, we didn't risk taking a bite.

If we had more storage space, I too would love to stockpile for a year or more.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I'll bet those pound cakes were every bit of 40 years old! Ick.

Farmgirl Sister #35

My Website:
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How much is considered enough? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page