Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  6:52:02 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if anyone knew the magic baby oil mixture or any other natural thing that I could to get rid of cradle cap on my little ones. My daughter still has it and she is almost three. I thought it was some kind of protection thing for their heads when they were itty bitty, but no matter how much I brush or wash their hair, that stubborn cradle cap just keeps coming back. grrr!!..lol
hugs Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  12:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jessie,
You can just put a little olive oil on her head and let it sit for about ten minutes and then get a small baby comb and try to brush or scrub the crud off...the olive oil loosens it up so that it doesn't hurt while you are brushing/scrubing it off. My kids sometimes get crud in their hair and it is from the dirt/sand outside and the oils from their hair. Doing the above usually takes it all off. Hope that helps and I plan on getting a letter to you soon...we have been busy here lately!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  1:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Elizabeth. I'm going to give it a try. :) I gave Levi his first buzz cut and now you can see all the cradle cap. Is it clogged pores? Or what is that exactly? I can't believe me three year old still has it...crazy stuff. ;)
Look forward to your letter.
hugs Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile
My second son, Casey, had it that long. I used baby oil or mineral oil and that loosened it as well...you just have to rub it in really well, let it sit and comb. It takes alot of doing it a couple times a week at least for awhile to get it all out..it is a pain in the behind.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Hello again!
I tried the olive oil tonight. I let it sit for ten minutes and then tried combing it out. It didn't budge. I used a little comb. After that didn't work, I rub it with a wash cloth. Did I not do it right? None of it came off. Is it supposed to? DOes it take more than one time to get it to budge?
jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  7:08:22 PM  Show Profile
It can take awhile. Have you tried the hard plastic baby combs? You may actually have to try to pick at it with the comb some and try this for several days. It should loosen up with time. All cradle cap is are pieces of dead skin cells mixed with the baby's natural oils. Or in older kids cases, dirt or sand mixed with the oils. I notice this on my 3 year old when I give him a buzz cut, it takes awhile to get his head nice and clean again. Just don't pick with the comb too hard or it can hurt the child and they will never let you try it again! That is what the olive oil (or mineral or baby oil) is for...to loosen up the crud so you can pick it off with the comb.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Try no poo, shampoo-basically wash your babies hair with baking soda, and water, NEVER use shampoo or soap again on your baby.

My daughter had cradle cap for 6 months, I kept using every magical potion the dr, and others would tell me to use, I could get it scraped off sometimes, but it would come right back in less then 24 hours.

The first time I used no poo shampoo-baking soda and water, it came off, and I didn't have to scrape/comb etc. And since then I haven't went back to shampoo or soap, and since then she has never had cradle cap again! It went away pretty good the first use, by a week into using only baking soda, she was rid of it totally and it's never came back!

It's all I use for both her and I now, and will never go back to shampoo or soap.
Go to Top of Page

CarharttQueen
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Miriam
Soldier's Meadow Idaho
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  1:13:56 PM  Show Profile
My baby has cradle cap too. I've been able to loosen some with the oil method (I use Weleda brand baby oil) but she still has a lot.

A friend thought that vinegar would cure cradle cap, but I haven't tried it.

About washing w/ baking soda---How do you apply the soda? Mix it with water? Do you rinse w/water too?

Miriam

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  5:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Well there is a certain recipe for it, but I'm too lazy to do the recipe. lol

What I did was use a old plastic container (cool whip!), and fill it with baking soda (I get the 5 lb bag at Costco), then I wet my daughters hair. I take the baking soda scooped up in my hand, and rub it on her head. Till I think her head/hair is all covered. Then I rinse in water. (just like if I was shampooing her head).

Vinegar helps too.

A couple of times a month, after I have rinsed the baking soda out of her hair, I use a old shampoo bottle, and put about 1/4 apple cider vinegar, and 3/4 water into the bottle. And rinse her hair with it. NOT the whole bottle, just enough to get all her hair/scalp a good dose of it. I sometimes rinse, and sometimes don't. Just depends. I notice hair is much more soft, and "oily" later on if I don't rinse. So it depends on if her hair is getting dry, or is soft enough. If it's getting dry I live the vinegar solution in, cause it will help. If not I rinse it. Also depends on how much time I have, and how much I feel like fiddling in the bath. lol

I do the same with my hair-only use baking soda, and apple cider vinegar. And again, I only rinse the vinegar, if I feel like it. lol My hair will be heavier with it left in though, so if I want fluffy hair, I have to make sure to rinse it out.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  5:12:45 PM  Show Profile
PS I didn't start using the vinegar for quite a while into the game, after I had been using the baking soda for a few months at least. So I know for sure for my daughter it was the baking soda that cured her. But, I think the vinegar also helps, as it would kill any bacteria on the scalp, which is hypothesized as to why people get cradle cap.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  7:50:46 PM  Show Profile
ooh I will definitly give the baking soda a try. Levi was just miserable by the second time I tried scraping the gunk off and I couldn't take the poor widdle puppy dog eyes when I tried to wash it again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I wouldn't care so much, but I want that stuff off, it can't be good for them as it doesn't protect anything like a soft spot anymore. Plus, I want to get his pictures done and you can the cradle cap really badly. Blek!!
thanks Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

pink rose garden
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jess
west olive michigan
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  8:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Head and shoulders works too.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  8:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Is it safe to use Head and Shoulders on a little baby? He's only a year old.
:) Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  9:11:03 PM  Show Profile
I used the olive oil treatment, but put it on at night & let them sleep with it on, then use baby comb. Then shampoo.

The baking soda & vinegar treatment restores the ph on the scalp.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

pink rose garden
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jess
west olive michigan
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  08:47:15 AM  Show Profile
It's safe to use head and shoulders.Just watch his eyes.It will sting.My DR. told me to do this with my babies.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  12:50:30 PM  Show Profile
One thing I like about the baking soda over "head and shoulders", it doesn't sting when/if it gets into eyes. Also it takes hardly anything to get it rinsed out. Takes a long time for me to get all the poo out of her hair. And when they get in that stage that they don't like their head being laid back in the water, it makes it much easier since it doesn't take much to get it out.

Plus for me head and shoulders never worked on my flaky scalp, and it tangled up my hair. My dd has really curly hair, and I'm afraid to make it more tangled then it is naturally.

I've had dry scalp since elementary school, tried head and shoulders and TGel and all that stuff nother ever worked till I switched to the baking soda.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  08:56:08 AM  Show Profile
I use just a mild soap and a toothbrush (purchased only for this purpose, of course). The babies don't really like the procedure, but it seems to help. Eventally it just goes away, I've found...

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Cradle Cap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page