Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Soda is a trigger.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I haven't had coffee or soda in over a month and half. Sunday, I got a pop just because I wasn't thinking and I was thirsty. I SWEAR the next day, I had the aches/pains and feeling blah that I thought was Epstein barr. I couldn't walk, felt like garbage and sick all day. I drank a bunch of water, ate some fruit and took some aspirin. I feel better today but I think soda is the trigger to a lot of my problems. What do you gals think???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  08:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I think you are so right... poison in a can.. or bottle... but I still struggle with "staying off the stuff". I started the withdrawls again yesterday and UGH!!!!, I dont know why I put myself through it... Seems I can go months without the stuff then fall right back into drinking it....and the week I stop is always a nightmare.......So here I go again... getting the stuff out of my system...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  08:09:27 AM  Show Profile
Soda is a bad thing! I wish I could listen to that. I know alot of my aches and pains are from that. I have the worst time staying away from it. When I am off of it I don't miss it but it just takes one then I want more. I guess I am an addict. All or nothing.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  08:20:43 AM  Show Profile
I used to be ADDICTED to Pepsi. As in if I didn't get my daily dose I'd get crabby! The funny thing is, my mum always told me it's the caffeine, but I think it's really the sugar in it. Sugars are addicting too, and my coffee doesn't give the same addiction symptoms -- and I drink A LOT of coffee. So do you think it's the sugars? The carbonation? Caffeine? I feel blah when I eat gobs of refined sugars, so that would be my guess...the sugars in soda makes us feel so beat up. Hmm...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  08:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I know for sure that sugar drags me down. But is drinking the sugar free version bad,too? It seems like I heard something recently about sugar free being bad, too. I drink sugar free, but it sort of seem to me like I actually feel better if I stay off of all of it.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  09:01:13 AM  Show Profile
I heard it's the sugar substitutes in sugar free sodas that aren't good. A lot of them are actually carcinogenic -- cancer causing.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  10:03:19 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with this! I am not a soda drinker, but my husband is. He tries to quit drinking it, but never goes very long. I can sure tell the difference when he is drinking more of it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  03:38:56 AM  Show Profile
sorry to admit I have 2 vices ice cream and diet pepsi

The sugared stuff never has quenched my thurst. I have limited my intake to just 2 a day. 1 first thing in the a.m. and 1 around noon-ish

when its hot like this, water is about the only thing that really helps I lace this with just a bit of sugar-free cool aid....just to keep me sipping all day

I have heard not to drink the out -of- date stuff and never drink it if it has been sitting in a hot vehicle especially in the sun! I check expiration dates and never buy from gas stations that have those displays sitting out in the hot sun
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  04:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
We don't buy soda at our house I hate the stuff

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store vintage threadshttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=79144
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  05:00:38 AM  Show Profile
My first 24 hours with no coffee or pop. So far so good just a little fidgity.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile
I Hypoglycemic and my doc told me that even "fake" sugar causes my body to react the same as real sugar and to avoid the diet stuff as well. Personally the thought of drinking diet soda never crossed my mind because you are basically drinking pure chemicals. When we get a hankering for soda we buy the 365 brand at whole foods that is made with pure cane sugar and all natural flavorings. No HFCS!

Here is an interesting experiment
Fill a bowl with cola. Add a piece of tarnished metal like an old copper pot. In 10 minutes the pit will be clean!

Or

Put cola in a bowl. Place a chicken bone leftover from dinner into the bowl. The soda will eat away the bone in just a few days! And we drink this stuff!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  08:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Thank goodness, I've never had any interest in any kind of soda, except maybe once every three years or so, I might make an egg cream (seltzer or ginger ale, milk, chocolate syrup -- no eggs, silly!) I think they usually have lot of sodium (salt) in them, don't they? That might be what affects some people, if the sugar, caffeine, and whatnot don't. Of course, all that salt would make you thirsty, etc. Phooey!
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2242 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  1:46:43 PM  Show Profile
From things I have heard and read recently it appears that the "high fructose corn syrup" that is now being substituted for sugar in many foods is worse for you than sugar. I know it has contributed to the severe heartburn problems I used to have before reading labels and eliminating most of it from my diet.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  01:50:06 AM  Show Profile
Don't drink the stuff myself but we have a few who do. High fructose corn syrup is worse than refined sugar. And soda companies have admitted that they put things in to make people addicted to the stuff so they will continue buying. The sugar substitutes are just as bad if not worse than plain old sugar. I don't drink any sweetened drinks or sweeten any of my drinks,ie; tea coffee (that is if I drink it at all).

Denise

farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  2:08:48 PM  Show Profile
I found a recipe for homemade gingerale not long ago. It does add a bit of honey, but it was a really nice change from the soda and gave me that flavor I was looking for. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Read the book 'Sweet Deception" then decide whether you want to use sugar substitutes. I agree with soda making you feel bad, I quit diet Coke but have went to drinking regular, I really need to stop! Pam
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Ever wonder why they're even allowed to put these things in our FOOD?? I suppose somebody is getting their pocket lined...but still.

*sigh* Guilty, though... sitting here with my Pepsi...old habits die hard.

But it wouldn't surprise me if high fructose corn syrup was worse than regular sugar, it's pretty concentrated and refined.

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  07:12:08 AM  Show Profile
I love the taste of soda but fortunately, it makes me feel so horrible when I drink it that I don't drink it, period. I had half of a 7-up a few months ago when my morning sickness was really bad and boy, did I regret it. It was worse than the morning sickness!

www.narrowgatemorgans.com
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  07:53:48 AM  Show Profile
If you are ever interested in health check out www.mercola.com.
My husband is a Naturopathic Doctor and he really likes Dr. Mercola's stuff.

Blessings!
~Mrs. Farrah Ginter
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  5:47:49 PM  Show Profile
Prairie Princess, you're right. High fructose corn syrup might be the worst thing to have been foisted onto us. http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html

I like to have something fizzy to drink once in a while myself, especially in the summer, so some years ago I bought a seltzer bottle,sometimes known as a soda siphon. Example: http://www.fantes.com/seltzer.html Sometimes you can find them for less at restaurant or bar supply stores. I don't have to hunt for the low-sodium seltzer water at the store or worry about the plastic it comes in. The high pressure of the carbonated water makes a frothy egg cream which I make with homemade chocolate syrup and whole milk. Fruit sodas can also be made with any flavor of fruit syrup or homemade ginger syrup made with the sweetener of choice. For a really decadent wild party, you can just squirt each other with it. (Not in my house!) I just wish the charges were refillable.

Linda Albert

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Soda is a trigger.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page