Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I Wanna Live at Wilma's!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Wanna Live at Wilma's!!!!!! Next Topic
Page: of 5

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  05:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
It's so beautiful there! Her shop in person doesn't even come close to the pics on her blog! I went though it at least four times and every time I saw more than before. I met Luna, Lainey, and Kayla from the forum. Jonni and her mom, Barb were there, too. And I met lots of other wonderful folks - Wilma's parents among them.
We had music - Kayla and her family are very talented musically. Let's not forget the FOOD!!! :D Yum! And YUM again!!! Jonni's name has been changed by the men folks to "The girl who makes THOSE PIES!!! LOL! My buying nearly kept up with my selling! HAHA Every time my dh walked away, I snuck somewhere and bought something else.
Wilma's gardens are abolutely breathtaking! Nancy Jo - Wilma has a 'secret garden', too. I wish you could see it. It's the cool, shady spot for a good book and a glass of tea.
You can walk around in the orchard and just pick cherries and plums as you go. Pretty soon peaches will be ripe. Then apples.....I threatened to pitch a tent somewhere and just live there. I wish the entire forum could just be there at the same time.
Shoot me now, because I don't think it's going to get better than Saturday! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  06:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Janice I have been so busy I havent had time to write, I am so glad you liked it here, I forgot so many things all those tubs I had bagged up for you , I gotta tell you this now girls men can do it, Janices husband David is a whiz, Now my mom and a next to sister was helping with the cooking and both of them had waited on their husbands all their life so when David was helping cook they didnt know what to do, That was an experience they had never had, I am telling you in my book all women should have a husband like David and he sure likes to pick on me.I fell in love with all the farm girls Kaylas family are the most remarkable family I have ever seen, I just wish they were my next door neighbors, Lainey is someone you just know will love you to pcs Luna should have been a princess she is beautiful, Of course you all know Jonnie got my heart a long time ago I gotta go do some errands and I promise to give you more of a low down on these farmgirls it will take a whole page

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
David sure enjoyed his time in the 'hen house', Wilma. He loves to cook and he's really a better cook than I am. Don't tell him I said that, okay? ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  07:15:01 AM  Show Profile
It was sooo cute, Janice...Miss Wilma's mother was a little taken "aback" by a man that was so adept in the kitchen! She just could hardly believe that he was in there, helping with the fruit salad and everything :) I guess David is a keeper, afterall!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  07:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
HAHA! I'll have to show him this thread! It'll make his day. In fact, just being at Wilma's I think has inspired him. He sure worked hard at the farm yesterday. I think he'd like to pitch a tent at Wilma's, too. ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  08:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I am envious of all you Kentucky gals! I told my husband about the sale; next year might just have to jump on up!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  09:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Reading this topic is going to be fun!!! Keep telling us more! I want to hear it all, even if I feel that old green-eyed monster breathing down my neck. Saw the photos of Miss Wilma's buildings, gardens and land on her blog. Wow.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 07 2008 09:36:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:51:09 AM  Show Profile
Isn't her place so lush? I'm sure pictures don't do it justice. But every time I check out Miss Wilma's blog, I'm just blown away by how green and lush it is. So much grass! Grass doesn't do well here without spending a fortune in water. Our ground around here is mainly decomposed granite; great drainage, but it actually drains away too fast to keep the grass happy.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  11:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
It's just so amazing to be wandering around admiring all the landscaping and how beautifully everything is growing and just reach up and pick a sweet, ripe plum and eat it as you walk along. Of course, Miss Wilma just insists she just 'throws it in the ground' and that's all she does. I've been gardening most of my life. And believe me, I know how much work is involved in how lovely her place is!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm reposting this from the other thread, in case you didn't get to that one yet (there was a lot of activity this weekend!!!)

Janice is soooo right about Miss Wilma's place...if I wasn't so pooped yesterday, I would have come home and dug up my entire yard to replicate hers. I am going to buy some more butterfly bushes this weekend and plant them where they can get HUGE and attract as many butterflies and bees as she had! I took photos of all the butterflies I could on Saturday!

"repeat"
Whew!!! I'm back among the land of the living!!! I know now, girls, how Miss Wilma gets all that she gets done...well, DONE!!! She never sleeps, girls...never. Nor does her sweet mother, or daddy. I secretly think Miss Wilma, her momma and daddy are otherworldly, sent from above (angels?) and just don't have to rest...

My mother and I had such a wonderful weekend, and Miss Wilma and her family were so kind to us, and made us feel so welcome. Thanks, Miss Wilma for opening your home mom and I to stay the night (3 hours doesn't seem like a lot to drive, but to do it then turn around and do it again, can be daunting!!!)...The orchard sale was just lovely...and, for those of you wondering, it really IS an orchard! I ate my way through the cherries and the plums, and wished to goodness those grapes were ready!!!! It's a wonder Miss Wilma has any fruit left, after I came through!

The day was picture perfect, though they'd gotten a little rain before we came (up north, we've had rain for 2 days solid) and I got some wonderful things. I took some really good photos before the batteries in my camera died (yep, leave it to me!), and I will post them when I get a moment this evening. I got to meet Gabby, Miss Wilma's neighbor who's had such troubles lately, and she's just a wonder--what a lovely gal! And, of course, the farmgirls...Lainey (yay!), Luna (yay!!), Janice (yay!!!) and of course, the lovely Kayla and her family (Kayla, I could just take your littlest brother home in a mini-second!!!)...girls..you haven't known talent until you meet Kayla and her kin. Amazing...I'll post some photos of them playing some music, and all the folks watchin' and tappin' toes! Thanks again for the Rocky Road to Dublin--One of my all time favorites! Sure did miss Jessica, and honorary Kentucky girls, Carol Sue and Ronna, though...One day soon, one day soon!!!!

Everyone was so welcoming, and we made a nice new friend in HannahElise, a German lady, who lives in Charlotte, NC and is a dealer, making her way through Kentucky and back down through Tennessee before heading home with her treasures. She was a joy!!! I helped her book her room to stay at Shakertown (hope she's having a wonderful time there...)

Oh my....I could go on and on...but I think I'll let some other gals speak up about their time. I came home last night and immediately started in the garden, picking potatoes and onions, and the last of the peas, and then washed and halved the beans that we picked at dusk at Miss Wilma's...that's going to be supper tomorrow--just need to get a little ham-hock and we're a "go".

Then, I promptly fell asleep!! I bet Miss Wilma hasn't slept yet!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile
WOW!! You girls had yourself a good time, I would have loved to have been there too. Love reading all about it. Would love to see pictures. Did any of you post any??
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  12:42:31 PM  Show Profile
I have SOME, Nancy, but because I'm Jonni, the batteries in my camera ran out...I did get some of her beautiful butterfly bush and some other portions of the gardens, but I was too busy EATING the orchard to take photos of that!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  12:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
LOL!!! I think we were ALL too busy eating to think about much else! I forgot to even bring my camera. Luna took some pics and I think Lainey did, too. I saw Miss Wilma point a camera at my dh and at me, but I don't know if she got any pics.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I just spent some time on the Custer Family farm site...I'm thinking I'm going to order some hooks and a papertowel wrack from the oldest boy. I sure wish I'd had the foresight to get them while I was at Wilma's!!! I'm so easily distracted, and I was VERY distracted by how much fun I was having talking to her little brothers...so nice to talk to, those boys, and each one totally different personalities!

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Jul 07 2008 1:01:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile
I got some and will post as soon as I get a min, I still have my mom and dad and believe you me they dont let me set down for a min. Girls should I tell about the preacha man, If so I will do that tonight. No kidding I am in beans and daddy was awake at three oclock this morning wanting to get started

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Definitely tell about the preacher man. And I think David wants your mom to adopt him. ;)

Jonni - Annalise(the German lady) bought two hooks and they were so strong and well made. She was thrilled.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jul 07 2008 1:07:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma, I believe it!!! Those two never sleep, and now I know you come by it naturally ;)

I will order some hooks from him, Janice. Glad to know she liked hers, and I have no doubt they'll be nice and strong. Thinking about a pot wrack. Wonder if he could whip something like that up? I might email him....

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:21:25 PM  Show Profile
I have an idea he can make about any thing I am going over there as soon as I can get a break I want some real cow butter from a Jersey cow

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Back growing up, I would spend a week or more at a time a Wilma's. It was a second home pretty much. :) When I was learning to drive, my dad and I would take a lot of trips over there to visit. Now I try to visit as much as possible.

Now did Sterl fix the big biscuit for you gals or did you get to taste any sweet jams?

I just posted in the other thread before I saw this one....I reallllllly wish I was there! I hope you gals took plenty of photos!

Lisa - you mentioned the green grass...we've been very fortunate to have rain this summer...last summer we had a horrible drought and water restrictions. Wilma use to have a huge beautiful garden pond full of fishies and plants a while back. Her landscaping is like an entire secret garden. You never know what you might come across.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Alright...here are a couple of my measley photos, taken before my battery died. I think I might have gone overboard on the butterfly bush, but gosh darn it, it's gorgeous!

The first few are the Custer family, playing some wonderful music, and the little one, entertaining Miss Wilma's momma and daddy

This is the famous butterfly bush (and there are hummingbird feeders and countless other plants that butterflies and hummingbirds love all around it....

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  6:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonnie, those are great pictures!!!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  7:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Great pics...love the Butterfly Bush, so pretty.

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  9:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls I will tell about the preacha mam, Now I had a room FULL of Christmas, and about ten ockock the phone rang for someone that wanted to look at it well it was a local preacher, now I had been down there with him probably for an hour and here comes the little German lady Hannalies, she peaked her head around the corner and told me she was going to take a shower, she didnt know the preacher was over in the corner pricing the stuff, so she got her shower came back out and started in the room to talk to me well she didnt have a lot of clothes on but was putting her robe on all of sudden her face got real red and she ran into the kitchen where Tommy and Sheryl was and got so excited saying preacha man , preacha man he in the room with wilma and I almost naked , I no want preacha man see me I so embassed. She said this Ky trip I will never forget, I no want see the preacha man no moreBelieve you me we all had a big laugh right along with her

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank you sooooo much Jonni for posting the photos. I don't see any pie photos - looks like ya'll ate it all! ;-) I actually ended up making a strawberry pie tonight. Not as good as your apple pies though.

My eyes just lit up with the photos of the family with their musical instruments. You can't go wrong with a fiddle and a mandolin in the mix. I can only imagine the feeling of driving up to the sale to hear sweet music coming from the instruments and the singing along with it.

Wilma I'm cracking up that story. Too funny!

Ok girls...when is our next gathering?? I swear, by that time things will be better and I won't have surgery on any limbs or anything else going on! I miss one and I miss you guys too much!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  04:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Great pictures, Jonni. Thanks for sharing gals. Hey, did Laura show up?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  04:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Laura got called into work but we have got her coming to yhe next one

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Wanna Live at Wilma's!!!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page